X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• callee
    replied
    Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
    For short term "emergency" work, replace the switch with any light switch. No, they aren't rated for that job, but they'll last long enough (or more) for you to get your job done and order in a replacement switch.
    Thanks John. This is really not my area of expertise at all, but I'm a little confused how a light switch would work? the machine is a 240v, so don't both the black and the white need to be switched? I.e. don't I need a switch with 4 contacts in total, two on each side?

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    For short term "emergency" work, replace the switch with any light switch. No, they aren't rated for that job, but they'll last long enough (or more) for you to get your job done and order in a replacement switch.

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Ok, I used a fine blade and gently sliced apart the fused contact. I cleaned the contacts up with a small file, cleaned everything in sight, and coated the tips of the contacts with a small amount of Vaseline, which I've been told helps ensure a good connection between the contacts. There's not that much left of the damaged contact, I cleaned it up as best I could but it's sure not ideal. I reassembled the switch with some difficulty - there are two little spring loaded ball bearings on the side that make it "click" on and off and getting those little suckers back in place was a pain. After reassembly, I checked with the meter on the back and I had continuity on both sets when on, and not when off, so that seemed like it was worth a try. I re-installed the switch and turned it on, and after taking a few seconds (to charge up the capacitor I assume?) It did turn on. I've cycled it on and off a few times now and it seems to be working, but I don't have much confidence in that frayed, worn out contact so I think I need to be replacing this switch soon, yes? Any advice on that? Also, any idea why this happened?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    That's a craftex planer, of course. I'll edit the title later.

Leave a comment:

• callee
    started a topic Crafted Planer Switch Problem

Crafted Planer Switch Problem

Was changing my planer blades today. Turned it on and ran a piece through when I was done and it was great. Got together a load of walnut I had to mill today, and when I hit the switch nothing happened. Just like that.

I unplugged the machine and opened up the switch to have a look.

Lot of dust and gunk in there. Blew it all out, and first thing I noticed was that when I clicked the switch "on" I had continuity between the two whites, but not between the black and red. Pulled the actual switch out and opened it up, again lots of dirt and gunk, noticed that on one side of the contacts where the red and black had been hooked up, the one side looked burnt and fused together. I'll try to post a pic. I need to get this working soon, the reason I was in milling walnut on a Saturday is because this job is behind schedule. Any advice? I'm over an hour from the nearest busy bee.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191207_1702525.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1261223Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191207_1703299.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1261224

Working...
X