Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockwell 14" Bandsaw Riser Kit Availability..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell 14" Bandsaw Riser Kit Availability..

Hi all,
    Just wondering if there are still riser kits made for the Rockwell 14" Bandsaw? I have one from the 1970's, and want to use it for a bit of resawing. I had a quick look online, and couldnt find any specifically for that saw. Found lots for import 14" saws though.
    Thanks,
    Pete

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rockwell 14" Bandsaw Riser Kit Availability..

I think the first place to call would be :

Tufftooth.com

I have a difficult time with their website, but they do answer the telephone and their service to me has been good.
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

If necessary it should be possible to fabricate a riser block. They are not complicated. The use of an epoxy machine grout could be used to mate the surfaces. Revising or fabricating new blade guards would be required as well as a longer guide block bar.
      Last edited by Egon; 02-14-2020, 09:02 AM.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

The original kit will surely not be available. You will need to do a good bit of measurements and then compare what you have to what is available for import saws. You might get lucky and find one that has the right specs. I agree, talk to the tufftooth people or Stockroom Supply. Both of them were willing to do detailed measurements of their available riser block kits. I, for example, adapted a current King riser block kit for a 1980s Delta 28-147 saw. Critical measurements include:

-Diameter of guide post (measure WITH CALIPERS) and shape (hex or slotted round).
        - Size and location of locator pins between top and bottom halves.
        - Size of hex bolt going through the riser block.

Unfortunately, for my saw, no kit had any of those critical measurements correct, so I had to adapt...

- My original guide post was 15/16" round and the replacement was 7/8" so I had to put a brass bushing in the top and bottom of the guide post hole to make it fit without excessive slop. The lock knob will cinch it down eventually in the proper position, so it doesn't need to be friction-fit.
        - Locator pins were not where they should be, so I had to drill new ones in the riser block. Lay out the points with extreme accuracy and drill them on a drill press. Use a center punch to start, and use a stubby drill bit so that theres little drift. What is critical is that the locator holes are exactly on top of each other and the proper diagonal distance apart... it doesn't matter if the riser block is rotated a few degrees relative to the saw parts, but it absolutely does matter if the top set of holes in the riser block is rotated a few degrees relative to the bottom set of holes so that the top and bottom wheels are no longer parallel. Use coil pins instead of solid unless you're a very competent machinist... the coil pins will allow your hole locations to be off by a few thousandths of an inch without impacting the final fit.
        -The hex bolt for the riser kit was wimpy and the holes on my saw were too big for it. I just had to buy a new Grade 8, 1/2" by 8" bolt from Spaenaur.

There are a lot of threads on this site and others that can provide info on re-drilling the riser block for your locator pin configuration, so look around. Don't screw it up haha, although you'll get one redo by flipping the block vertically.

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts / info / and advice guys.
          With the number of those Rockwell/Delta Bandsaws out there you'd think it would be worth someone's while to make a riser block to fit.... If I had a mill I'd just make my own for sure.
          I have bought tires, blades etc... From tufftooth before, so I will call them and see if they have a good solution for me.
          Pete.

Comment

Yeah you would think, but the real issue is that Delta/Rockwell changed the designs slightly every few years! So there's no one-size-fits-all for the old saws.

One more thought: This guy made a pretty nice wooden riser block... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfix_p2-Pg

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by CastFe View Post
              I have bought tires, blades etc... From tufftooth before, so I will call them and see if they have a good solution for me.
              Pete.

I have an old Rockwell bandsaw too. Please do post back what you find. I'd be quite interested in hearing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Providing you can buy/make a riser kit, does the saw have the power you need for resawing and is the saw frame strong enough to properly tension the blade? From what I've read, those cast iron framed saws will not take a great deal of tension.

Comment

Originally posted by CastFe View Post
                  Hi all,
                  Just wondering if there are still riser kits made for the Rockwell 14" Bandsaw? I have one from the 1970's, and want to use it for a bit of resawing. I had a quick look online, and couldnt find any specifically for that saw. Found lots for import 14" saws though.
                  Thanks,
                  Pete

Just curious, what is the serial number on yours and how did you determine it was from the 70's? I have a 14" Rockwell 28-200 made in Guelph Ont. serial number 191740. I'm guessing it is from the 60's or 70's but not sure. I got it with a riser block, haven't resawn with it but I had an Asian clone with a riser block and it did tension a 5/8" blade (not sure it would do a wider blade) and the Rockwell seems more Skookum (that's west coast for strong) than the clone. I suspect any 14" riser block for one of the Asian clones could be made to fit, the guide post might be the hardest to match, the guards should be easy to fabricate especially the left one.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                    Providing you can buy/make a riser kit, does the saw have the power you need for resawing and is the saw frame strong enough to properly tension the blade? From what I've read, those cast iron framed saws will not take a great deal of tension.
                    I have a Trademaster 14" import with the 6" riser kit and with the standard 3/4 HP motor manufactured in 2002, according to the label. It accepts a 1/2" 3 TPI blade and has enough power to resaw maple up to 9 or 10" width. I haven't tried anything wider than that. Cutting speed is adequate, I doubt I could push stock through that blade any faster. Tension is adequate to give straight, clean cuts. The saw was in like new condition when I purchased it about 6 months ago.
                    I was unaware of any concern about the strength of cast iron framed saws of that design.
                    The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I just installed a shop fox riser block on my 1940's delta a couple nights ago.pins don't line up,but very simple to grind off the existing pins and drill new holes and install 4 roll pins, mine cost $1.89.
                      my bandsaw has the hex post,will have to get a piece of hex bar the correct length ( metal supermarket?). There is no machining on the post.
                      everything else fit like a glove

Comment

I got one of those 14” Delta bandsaw clones made in Taiwan and installed the riser block, works just fine now.

The thing is that if you think you can just fit these pieces in any of those similar saws, you are mistaken, and yes the rod for the guide post are not all the same.

The original Delta had a hexagon rod, the clones have a round bar wit a flat side on them or a groove in them, so you do need the right type and size of that rod, I know mine is ¾ “ and fits right, the pins of the riser block did not line up, and I don’t think the ever do.

As it happened there was a fellow that I know, who was in the place that sells the wood working machinery, that was bringing back a riser block because the pins did not line up, and they gave him another block, then I asked for the riser kit and he said he didn’t have any anymore, it then dawned on him that yes he had this returned block, so he went and gave me the returned block and the rest of the kit, and of course these pins did not line up on my saw either, but no problem I just removed the pins.

I then installed the riser block and aligned the wheels and when that was done I drilled holes for some pins and hammered these in, so the parts will stay aligned, I would not trust those pins even if they did fit into the saw, I’m sure you can do a better job aligning the wheels and then drill holes for a couple of pins.

So yes you do need the right guide rod, the rest will fit and the riser block you do need to drill a couple holes for pins through it into the saw, see picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	riser block pinned.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.1 KB ID:	1270783
                        LeftFinger likes this.

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by smallerstick View Post

I have a Trademaster 14" import with the 6" riser kit and with the standard 3/4 HP motor manufactured in 2002, according to the label. It accepts a 1/2" 3 TPI blade and has enough power to resaw maple up to 9 or 10" width. I haven't tried anything wider than that. Cutting speed is adequate, I doubt I could push stock through that blade any faster. Tension is adequate to give straight, clean cuts. The saw was in like new condition when I purchased it about 6 months ago.
                          I was unaware of any concern about the strength of cast iron framed saws of that design.
                          Like I said, no personal experience with them. I was just passing on what I've heard from others that have had issues. It's working for you so that's great. Just want the OP to have their eyes open. I have a 1.5 HP motor on my Rikon saw & the widest I've ripped is about 8" & it wasn't the fastest.

Comment

I have a good friend here that uses 1 ½” bands on their original Delta bandsaw, it is and has been used for years, as they break down long white cedar beams into thin strips for the canoes they build no riser on theirs as the 6” is enough for them, the cast steel of these saws can certainly take that tension, now the clones are not quite as strong, and ¾” low tension Swedish silicon steel bands is about all you can use on them IMO.

Though I do not have experience with the lower cost plate steel saws, but do assume they could flex under higher tension of wider bands.

Fletcher canoe build in Atikokan, canoe capital of Canada

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fletcher canoe.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1270791
                            Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 02-14-2020, 03:42 PM.

Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                            X