Use of a Jacob chuck !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of a Jacob chuck !

When you put a drill in the chuck , do you thigh 3 times ( total ) with the tool , one in each hole of the chuck.?
    Someone told me that 3 years ago and that is why , with the time one of the jaws was not perfectly alligne with the other 2.

I just change for a new chuck because 8 of 10 times my drill in the chuck was not turning perfectly round , because of that problem.

What do think of that.

planeur

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Use of a Jacob chuck !

I do not believe it is necessary unless you know there will be big torque required.
    Rob

Comment

Doing so will give you a better hold and I usually do this if drilling metal.

Having bits slip in the chuck will/can damage the jaws and or the bits, trying to prevent this is the better way to go.
      Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 02-26-2020, 07:32 PM.
      John@Hamilton likes this.

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

IMO The quality of a drill chuck has everything to do with how much you paid. Low end import drill presses have cheap inaccurate chucks, higher end machines come with better chucks. Machining quality and hardening accuracy have everything to do with the quality of the chuck. I have broken the internal teeth on cheap imports. It may help but I would take it with a grain of salt about tightening through all three key registers, you are applying pressure to the same adjusting screw internal to the chuck. More likely poor quality machining is the cause.

Below are two chucks the one on the left is a cheap import $13 in the last 10 years. On the right is a US made "Jacobs" tagged chuck, over $20 over 30 years ago.The import is poorly machined, miss aligned jaws and when fully retracted to take a 1/2" bit the jaws only extend 1/2" to grip the bit. The "Jacobs" chuck is well machined and finished, the steel is well treated, you can see the greater accuracy with the jaws closed, and with the jaws fully retracted to take a 1/2" bit the jaws bare a full 3/4" on the drill shank for a better grip to prevent slipping.

The same holds true for keyless chucks, You can pay $35 or get a $100+ chuck that is going to do what it say's it dos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jacobs Chuck 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	1272403Click image for larger version  Name:	Jacobs Chuck 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	1272404
        Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 02-26-2020, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Merci Carlos, excellent explanation that make sense ! And was probably my problem.

planeur

Comment

cheap import chucks are a real pain, even the medium quality one from leevalley(with adaptor for a lathe) is not that great
            but the 70 year old jacobs "supreme ball bearing" chuck that came with my beaver drill press is great despite its age, of course i dont know how much it was used, i have a similar one for my wood lathe and its great too. the're really easy to tighten enough to prevent slipping of the bit even with large round shank forstner bits

and no, i dont tighten using all three holes, ever
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Either myself I never tight the using the 3 holes. It does not matter wich hole you used for thighten, they are mount on a scroll and they tight all at the same time, here I am talking about a good chuck like Jacob not those them cheap Chinese crap that does not worth a them. An other exemple, if you have a chuck only need your hand to tight it, do you go around the chuck 3 times to tight it, no because it is a scroll and they tight all at the same time, you use your 2 hands and that's it.

Comment

Working...
              X