Advice on plunge router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on plunge router

Looking at getting a plunge router today. Not afraid to spend a little more for a quality unit but also want to try keep it reasonable.

Any thoughts on a fixed/plunge changeable base unit vs a dedicated plunge unit?

I currently have an older fixed base variable speed Makita.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Advice on plunge router

My son has the Bosch 1617 EVS with a fixed base and a plunge base that he really likes. When my 40 year old Craftsman dies I will buy this one as well.
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

The Bosch 1617 is a great, reliable unit for sure. Can't go wrong with that one. I have the newer version of that model; the MR23 with both bases and can't recommend it highly enough. All of the features of the 1617 plus some newer ones that make it a superb machine.
      The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

The only thing that people may not like about the Bosch is that you need two wrenches for the collet. I don't mind as I feel that the bit is very secure. I really like mine. I also have the Dewalt palm router with the fixed and plunge base that I prefer for smaller work where the power is not needed and the smaller router is easier to manage.

Comment

Ditto on the Bosch!

Comment

Ditto on the DeWalt!
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I will have to look at the DeWalt as well. Didn't end up getting out today to buy one.

Comment

I have this set as well as an additional Mastercraft plunge router that is permanently set up for my Leigh jig.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...6810p.html#srp

It goes on sale for like $120 or so fairly often. It works fine.

I use the little DeWalt for most other freehand work, as it is light and easier to maneuver. I have a beast of a 3HP Milwaukee permanently mounted in the router table.
                Cheers
                Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                  I have this set as well as an additional Mastercraft plunge router that is permanently set up for my Leigh jig.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...6810p.html#srp

It goes on sale for like $120 or so fairly often. It works fine.

I use the little DeWalt for most other freehand work, as it is light and easier to maneuver. I have a beast of a 3HP Milwaukee permanently mounted in the router table.
                  I already have 4 routers including an extremely heavy plunge router; it is a pain in the neck to use because of its weight (power aplenty but heavy as he.. double hockey sticks) and is really useless for smaller projects such as boxes. I have often looked at the MC Maximum set at CTC and wondered if I should spring for one (occasional use only in my shop so no "professional use" consideration). Glad to see someone comment positively on the Maximum kit.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KenL View Post

I already have 4 routers including an extremely heavy plunge router; it is a pain in the neck to use because of its weight (power aplenty but heavy as he.. double hockey sticks) and is really useless for smaller projects such as boxes. I have often looked at the MC Maximum set at CTC and wondered if I should spring for one (occasional use only in my shop so no "professional use" consideration). Glad to see someone comment positively on the Maximum kit.

Ken
                    This kit is 2 HP (11 amp) and is not small by any means. The little DeWalt set I have is really really nice. Lots of power for most things, small and easy to handle, very high build quality. I sold my laminate trimmer after buying this set. I does only take 1/4" shank bits though.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dew...mbo/1000851823
                    Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 03-23-2020, 12:13 PM.
                    Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

This kit is 2 HP (11 amp) and is not small by any means. The little DeWalt set I have is really really nice. Lots of power for most things, small and easy to handle, very high build quality. I sold my laminate trimmer after buying this set. I does only take 1/4" shank bits though.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dew...mbo/1000851823
                      Agreed. And if you're patient, I snagged my kit for $199 on amazon.

https://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0049ZFUK2

Comment

I will agree with Ken. I have the Maximum combo for about 4 years (used to go on sale for $99) and only use it for hobby use and it is all the router I will ever need. I believe it is one of the best Mastercraft products ever produced. Am looking at a small laminate trimmer just small portable use.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will have to do some looking. I may see what that Max combo is like. I would definitely pull the trigger on one for $99. Its hard to believe the can put things on for 75% off and still hit a margin. Some items have to be loss leaders to get me into the store, it sure works!

Comment

Originally posted by Fir-minator View Post
                            Thanks for the advice. I will have to do some looking. I may see what that Max combo is like. I would definitely pull the trigger on one for $99. Its hard to believe the can put things on for 75% off and still hit a margin. Some items have to be loss leaders to get me into the store, it sure works!
                            Coming from a retail background, they still hit their margins after a 75% off sale. Canadian Tire has those heavy discounts far too often for them not to make money.

Comment

I have both the Bosch (in my router table) and the Maxim for free hand and agree with Randy and others . Grab the Maxim next time it goes on sale. Only light hobby use but works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X