Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

    Now I am on pause and wondering, are any of them NOT made in China?
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

    What's wrong with made in China ?

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

      Not sure if the Makita is still made in Japan, beyond that you are into a used machine or expensive European machine. All others are made in China or Taiwan.
      Personally, If you are concerned by based on reputation, warranty and service​​​​​.

      Matt Matt, John@Hamilton and 3 others like this.
      sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

        http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...t-NMB-2019.pdf

        Sure heres the price list, hope your sitting down.
        • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

          what make?
          makita 2040 ?? were made in japan

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

            What kind of a planer are you looking for.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

              Makita Corporation is based in Anjō, Japan, and operates factories in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Romania, the United Kingdom, Germany, Dubai, Thailand and the United States.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                Sure, Felder, Hammer, SCM, and many more.....Rod
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                  The Makita suggestion is a good one, thank you. Had actually forgotten about them.

                  Problem is the thickness planer no longer shows on their website. Wonder if they no longer make it.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                    Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post
                    Now I am on pause and wondering, are any of them NOT made in China?
                    What do you plan to do with it?

                    My fifteen year old china built planer has been flawless, and I wouldn't say that I have been easy on it.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                      Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

                      What do you plan to do with it?

                      My fifteen year old china built planer has been flawless, and I wouldn't say that I have been easy on it.
                      I don't plan to do anything that would seriously tax any of them, but given the current world circumstances I have just decided to, where I can, reduce my discretionary spend on product made in China - where there are alternatives.

                      And if there are no alternatives, then maybe I need to re-evaluate whether I need the discretionary spend item in any event.
                      scooby074 and like this.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                        Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post
                        The Makita suggestion is a good one, thank you. Had actually forgotten about them.

                        Problem is the thickness planer no longer shows on their website. Wonder if they no longer make it.
                        Correction - Just took some digging - it is still there after all.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                          Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post

                          I don't plan to do anything that would seriously tax any of them, but given the current world circumstances I have just decided to, where I can, reduce my discretionary spend on product made in China - where there are alternatives.

                          And if there are no alternatives, then maybe I need to re-evaluate whether I need the discretionary spend item in any event.
                          Thank you for the reply. I have no comment on the politics, but I will add that mine is Ridgid 13" from about 2005 (roughly) and I have stripped painted boards, I have planed MDF (that was dusty!!) and most of what has gone thru' are boards from my sawmill. I will also add that I sharpen my blades regularly as I believe that the biggest planer-killer is dull blades.

                          I think if I was buying again I might look at the two-speed DeWalt model as it seems to gather good reviews.

                          Anyway ..... good luck

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                            Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post

                            I don't plan to do anything that would seriously tax any of them, but given the current world circumstances I have just decided to, where I can, reduce my discretionary spend on product made in China - where there are alternatives.

                            And if there are no alternatives, then maybe I need to re-evaluate whether I need the discretionary spend item in any event.
                            Buy used.
                            I have a 20” general from 1953 that I use every day.

                            Nathan

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

                              One shouldn’t be too hard on China, I suspect that our health care workers are not concerned that the plane load of N-95 masks on their way are coming from China.

                              Brian
                              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X