Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

Now I am on pause and wondering, are any of them NOT made in China?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: I was about to buy a thickness planer ...

What's wrong with made in China ?

Comment

Not sure if the Makita is still made in Japan, beyond that you are into a used machine or expensive European machine. All others are made in China or Taiwan.
      Personally, If you are concerned by based on reputation, warranty and service​​​​​.

Matt Matt, John@Hamilton and 3 others like this.
      sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...t-NMB-2019.pdf

Sure heres the price list, hope your sitting down.
        • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

what make?
          makita 2040 ?? were made in japan

Comment

What kind of a planer are you looking for.

Comment

Makita Corporation is based in Anjō, Japan, and operates factories in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Romania, the United Kingdom, Germany, Dubai, Thailand and the United States.

Comment

Sure, Felder, Hammer, SCM, and many more.....Rod
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

The Makita suggestion is a good one, thank you. Had actually forgotten about them.

Problem is the thickness planer no longer shows on their website. Wonder if they no longer make it.

Comment

Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post
                    Now I am on pause and wondering, are any of them NOT made in China?
                    What do you plan to do with it?

My fifteen year old china built planer has been flawless, and I wouldn't say that I have been easy on it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

What do you plan to do with it?

My fifteen year old china built planer has been flawless, and I wouldn't say that I have been easy on it.
                      I don't plan to do anything that would seriously tax any of them, but given the current world circumstances I have just decided to, where I can, reduce my discretionary spend on product made in China - where there are alternatives.

And if there are no alternatives, then maybe I need to re-evaluate whether I need the discretionary spend item in any event.
                      scooby074 and like this.

Comment

The Makita suggestion is a good one, thank you. Had actually forgotten about them.

Problem is the thickness planer no longer shows on their website. Wonder if they no longer make it.
                        Correction - Just took some digging - it is still there after all.

Comment

I don't plan to do anything that would seriously tax any of them, but given the current world circumstances I have just decided to, where I can, reduce my discretionary spend on product made in China - where there are alternatives.

And if there are no alternatives, then maybe I need to re-evaluate whether I need the discretionary spend item in any event.
                          Thank you for the reply. I have no comment on the politics, but I will add that mine is Ridgid 13" from about 2005 (roughly) and I have stripped painted boards, I have planed MDF (that was dusty!!) and most of what has gone thru' are boards from my sawmill. I will also add that I sharpen my blades regularly as I believe that the biggest planer-killer is dull blades.

I think if I was buying again I might look at the two-speed DeWalt model as it seems to gather good reviews.

Anyway ..... good luck

Comment

Buy used.
                            I have a 20” general from 1953 that I use every day.

Nathan

Comment

One shouldn’t be too hard on China, I suspect that our health care workers are not concerned that the plane load of N-95 masks on their way are coming from China.

Brian
                              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
                              X