Hollow chisel mortise attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollow chisel mortise attachments

As you may know,I picked up a old 15" delta drill press.it looks to be a 1959 model,and has foot feed.This has me thinking it may be a good candidate to set up as a hollow chisel Mortiser.from what l have read ,many curse drill press attachments,due to lack of leverage.im thinking with the foot feed this should not be a issue.others complain about finicky set up.How is this different than with a bench top unit?
    the only concern in my mind is ridgidness .These old drill press are strong,but strong enough?im also thinking with sharp tools the forces applied to the machine to cut a mortise up to 1/2" or so ,even in domestic hardwoods can't exceed those created drilling a large diameter hole in metal.
    thoughts?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Hollow chisel mortise attachments

My only experience with a hollow chisel Morticing attachment was using a Canadian Tire radial arm drill press of bottom line quality. It worked well in red oak. That said you should not have any problem.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I gave my hollow chisel attachment to someone I didn't like...............Rod.
      timberframe likes this.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I’ve still got mine but it does not get used anymore. It is a pain to install and keep the mortices straight.
        Steve in Richmond likes this.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
          I gave my hollow chisel attachment to someone I didn't like...............Rod.
          ... a good question would be: does the recipient like you now?

Back to Al's question and Egon's comment, it would be interesting to figure out what factors lead to either success or failure, given that we hear both scenarios.

Bonne journée,

J.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post

... a good question would be: does the recipient like you now?

Back to Al's question and Egon's comment, it would be interesting to figure out what factors lead to either success or failure, given that we hear both scenarios.

Bonne journée,

J.
            I don't know Jacques, we didn't keep in touch.

I found that the drill press couldn't easily provide enough force for the chisel in hard woods and the chisel holder could rotate on the quill and not stay parallel to the fence..I replaced it with a GI benchtop mortise and it works great....Rod.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I have a 15" buffalo set up with a dedicated mortice attachment and have no issues with it even without a foot feed.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

A question for those who reply,is/was your attachment specific to your drillpress,or generic,and especially concerning the slipping issues,were spacers used to adapt the diameter to the attachment to the required diameter?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                  I have a 15" buffalo set up with a dedicated mortice attachment and have no issues with it even without a foot feed.
                  Knowing Al has 2 drill presses now, I was going tp suggest dedicating 1 for this task.

set one up for mortises only, and you could leave it, and make any changes that benefit/improve it's operation for mortises.

ie lock the table in place (I move mine often but have a hand crank for it)
                  make a dedicated fence/table to attach to current table
                  improve/add hold downs if need be

maybe find an XY adjustable vise to attach to table?

all that said, I never got a chance to use my old mortising attachment on my old Buffalo 15, couldn't find one for my Buffalo 18, but scored a nice used dedicated mortising machine from GI and am very pleased with it.
                  [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                    A question for those who reply,is/was your attachment specific to your drillpress,or generic,and especially concerning the slipping issues,were spacers used to adapt the diameter to the attachment to the required diameter?
                    You make a good point. I had one, that I believe is a Delta, that I tried to adapt to an offshore drill press. It didn't fit very well, was a pain to set up and then take off and I eventually gave up in favour of forstner bits and chiseling or using a router to cut mortises. One built for a specific machine that fit well might be better. However, if you want to use your drill press for something else, there is still the setup and take down issues.

Also, take a look at the mass of the one that Shinta just got. There is a reason that the good dedicated machines are that size.

Comment

Here is my set up bolted to the table
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	B71F8E44-85C3-4D98-BA4E-CD8E6EE60B2D.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1280811Click image for larger version

Name:	CC2E22F7-DAA7-4A8F-8DFA-F378C4B46C35.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	1280809Click image for larger version

Name:	EC04BA54-6284-43F3-AF54-92E7CECE0016.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	1280810
                      Attached Files
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Very nice Jerome,that's defiantly specific to the Buffalo 15. I would love to find one for either of my machines. I do have a bench top mortiser,and it works well,but it doesn't have a dedicated space,and is extreamly heavy,all I can do to lift it into the bench so I find I find other ways instead of lifting it.

Comment

Slightly off topic Al, but when I think of mortises, I think of tenons. This is your Whitehill combi block making a tenon on the shaper, one side at a time of course. Now that I finally have a smart phone I can take pictures of this stuff! This is a little over 5.5".

Some people seem to be just fine with the drill press attachments for mortising, and some seem to fight them. I hope you get something sorted out.

BClick image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200428_211004_250.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	1280815

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200428_210356_7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	1280816
                          Last edited by timberframe; 04-29-2020, 10:27 AM.
                          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Thanks Brent,I have used my head for tenons,works great,but I used the chipper a to make a square shoulders.why did you bevel yours?

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                              Thanks Brent,I have used my head for tenons,works great,but I used the chipper a to make a square shoulders.why did you bevel yours?
                              It's a coped or scribed shoulder to match the mould on the Stiles.
                              Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Working...
                              X