Jet Table Saw Blade lowering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Table Saw Blade lowering problem

Hi All, I hope everybody is staying well. I have a Jet Table Saw - Model JWTS-10JF which I love using and it is always accurate and easy to use. I have noticed since I started using it again a few weeks ago after the winter that when I lower the blade right down it is extremly difficult to wind it right down. There is some resistance when I turn the raise/lower wheel and I have to use a lot of force to get it down below the surface. No real problem raising it but it is not 'silky smooth'! I have cleaned everywhere that I can get to, blown any dust out with compressed air and sprayed the worm gears with silicon. Any idea's please. Incidentally my saw is set up with extension tables that it is difficult to get the saw into a situation where it may need turning onto the table top to get into the 'works'.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Jet Table Saw Blade lowering problem

Besides the" worm gear" you should also clean and spray the rack ( gear teeth) and ways of the trunion itself as well as the bushings that the crank rod ride in.silcon is ok,a dry moly spray is best but difficult to soarse
    Last edited by al.m..; 04-30-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Not familiar with the Jet but my Rockwell Beaver has a knob that tightens the hand wheel that raises and lowers the blade, any chance you forgot to loosen it off?

Comment

Hi Doug, my Jet has the same system. I always use the locking/unlocking device when using the saw. The problem seems as though something is in the teeth/worm for lowering the blade the last 1” or so. However it is all clean! I am baffled!
        Also thanks Al for your advice.

Comment

Does your saw have any kind of shroud around the blade for dust collection? Could it be distorted and interfering with the mechanism? I just added a shop made shroud to my saw and it took a couple of adjustments to get adequate clearance. Does it matter whether your blade is tilted or not? Sure there isn't a squirrel nest down there somewhere?

Comment

Hi Doug, no there is no shroud of any kind. Blade runs true and free, just the hiss of the blade, no other noise. If the blade is tilted it is just the same. I have run it without the insert, riving knife etc removed but it is just the same. My son is coming over on Monday to help me strip the saw down. Just hope that we can get it back together!!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X