Kreg Swing Stop on my Miter Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kreg Swing Stop on my Miter Gauge

I'm wondering if any member here has the Kreg Swing Stop on their miter gauge or T-track fence and can comment on the performance of their swing stop. I wanted to check with the masses before contacting Kreg for further action.

When I fully tighten the swing stop on the track, there is a significant amount of rotational play coming directly from the locking nut on the t-track. This translates to somewhere between 1/32" and 1/16" of play at the stop. There is no play coming from the swing/hinge portion of the stop. I can't tighten the locking nut anymore, especially since the wing is plastic.

I don't believe this has developed over time, but I feel like it has been this way since buying it last year. I don't use it all the time, but for lighter work that I'm too lazy to get my crosscut sled.

I've searched the internet and found a snippet of this video that kind of shows the play I'm talking about. You can see it move when he butts it up against the stop. And that's enough to bother me.

So, anyone experience this? Should I look at getting the Kreg Production Stop or would that even work on the Kreg Miter Gauge?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Kreg Swing Stop on my Miter Gauge

Don't have it but yeah that Youtuber should pay more attention to what he is posting. While he is saying you get exact reproducible cuts his video shows the stop flexing every time he pushes the workpiece against it and you can be certain the amount of flex will depend on how hard you push.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
      Don't have it but yeah that Youtuber should pay more attention to what he is posting. While he is saying you get exact reproducible cuts his video shows the stop flexing every time he pushes the workpiece against it and you can be certain the amount of flex will depend on how hard you push.
      Which is disappointing because it seems to me that there's nothing out of the ordinary with my swing stop. It's just ordinarily bad...

Comment

Hi Scott. I found the same issue with my setup as well. I did find that I have to tighten the swing stop arm fairly tight. It appears in the video that his swing arm is not as tight as it could be....after making sure it was tight, I still found the same issue, and it was the block moving in the track. I noticed that there is a bit of slop (very minor) in the part of the block that sits in the track, or bites when you tighten the block down. I find that if I use 2 hands one pulling the block towards the front of the track and the other to tighten the knob I can get it to stay snug. It appears to me that if you just tighten the knob with one hand it allows the block to swivel every so slightly, and when pushing stock against the swing arm it can cause the block to move...also I am careful not to slam the wood against the stop. I also have the production stop, but don't use it that often. Being able to swing the arm up is very handy but the production stop is more robust if you were say trimming a lot of 2x4's same length..ect...but I don't find it great for woodworking. I read a post about this some time ago, and the poster had contacted kreg with the issues you are having. My Kreg fence and stops are a few years old, not sure if Kreg has done anything about it yet. While I try and buy things made in North Amercia when possible this stop issue has me thinking twice about the Kreg stops for my Kreg router table.
        Hope this helps.
        Greg

Comment

Thanks for the response Greg! I'll definitely try out the two-handed trick to see if that makes it usable for me. I do find the swing arm to be very convenient but I think I could learn to live with the production stop if it comes to that. I hope it fits the miter fence because it operates a bit differently.

Comment

You're welcome. I've rec'd lots of help here, glad to be able to help back.

Also, my swing part of the jig is pretty snug. I tightened it up to the point you can't really push wood under the swing part, you have to lift it up...but that's the only way it stays accurate...but it works.
            The production stop does bite nicely into the kreg track and it's solid. The front of the track is tapered inward, and the production stop nests nicely into the track. It does (on mine) have about a 1/8 gap between the upright of the fence, but you can overcome that by fixing a piece of wood on the stop itself. I'll try and include some pics for you.
            Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_103430593_HDR.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1284365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_103518124_HDR.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1284366Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_103459651_HDR.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1284367

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I do like the looks of the production stop. I think the 1/8" gap is necessary anyways, it'll prevent sawdust from getting in the way.

It seems to me that the miter saw fence rail has the same profile as the miter gauge that I have (no big surprises there), so I'll take a chance. I'm sure I can return it if it doesn't fit.

I like your melamine top on your miter saw station - looks sharp.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures, that's a big help.

Comment

Working...
              X