Fixing a Half-Broken Band saw sliding adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a Half-Broken Band saw sliding adjuster

I have an 18" Taiwanese made band saw and i was doing a little tune up on it this spring. while tearing it down i noticed that part of the casting that holds the pins in the upper wheel sliding tension mechanism is cracked. when this happend i have no idea since i bough the saw used. i assume its been like this for at least the year i have owned it. the saw appears to work just fine and i have given it a few hot suppers.

My plan to keep this from getting worse is to put some grease or wax paper on the exposed section of shaft and replace over the broken section with some JB weld. Ill get some pictures of the broken part tonight to give some context.

the bracket assembly appears to be pot metal so i dont think any kind of brazing or welding will work and it still works as it currently is so i want to try and prolong the lifespan before the part totally fails. once it does ill have to try and find a replacement or fabricate something new.

any thoughts on this approach or alternate suggestions. i would guess the shaft is 3/8 tp 1/2" and the housing for it is broken about a 3rd of the radius and 3/8 to 1/2" deep.
    Last edited by Evan Dunville; 05-19-2020, 02:55 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Fixing a Half-Broken Band saw sliding adjuster

Check R&D bandsaws for replacement parts is another way. It's amazing what they have.
    https://tufftooth.com/
    Leo Van Der Loo likes this.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Here is the broken part to show the damage,

I could replace it but i dont know where to get this exact part and i dont think R&D carries it ( for an 18")

Comment

I had the same problem. The casting material is not strong enough to take the stress required to tighten large blades. On mine the hinge broke first and then the support. I did manage to make a new hinge and patched the support by screwing a steel plate to the back. I have since sold the saw and do not have any pictures of support fix. In case your hinge has also failed here is a link to my fix. https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...w-hinge-remake

I also tried to find a replacement for both the hinge and support and discovered that they are not available.

Comment

I would be looking at some of the Soldering Rod options they make for Zinc and Aluminum I have used the Blue Demonordered from Amazon. I am not the biggest fan of JB weld for high stress applications from experience. But maybe go back and fill the webs with JB after for extra strength.
          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

I would contact Bob at R&D Band Saw and discuss with him whether the one they sell for the 14" Delta Clones would fit, the failed part is highly stressed and I agree JB Weld is good but not that good.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Here are some updates, I used some grease on the shaft and a piece of a Pilsner beer can to block the JB weld from getting on the shaft. I checked as it was hardening and the shaft still moves free. I appreciate the feedback, I'm definitely no good for welding and Soldering and who knows how well it will hold up long term but i figure its better than it would have been if I just left it unchanged.

If it does end up failing ill be sure to post an update. if there is nothing more its best to assume that the repair is holding.

Comment

Working...
              X