BELT SANDER need Input on New 3" x 21" belt sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BELT SANDER need Input on New 3" x 21" belt sander

Have had an old Craftsman 3x21 belt sander for last 35 years. Ready for something better. Would prefer something that is less bulky with good dust collection or at least a fitting I can easily attach to my shopvac via Dust Deputy. Although I am not against a cordless model, I think corded would be better.

Anyone have an Epiphany recently on a NEW belt sander. I DO have large hands so do not want something I can"t easily hang onto.
    Any input is much appreciated
    Mike
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: BELT SANDER need Input on New 3" x 21" belt sander

There are some nice ones here.
    https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?eve...id=111&catid=3
    Wally in Calgary likes this.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I have had a Makita 9924 for about 35 years & they still sell the same model. It is very tough & powerful. It's a 3 x 24, but will also run 3 x 24 belts. Mine has been used & abused for hours on end, day after day. The only work I've had to do on it is to clean & lube the front roller & replace the cork/graphite platen pad. Highly recommended.
      Wally in Calgary, iamtooler and Egon like this.

Comment

I think the Makita 9924 is the standard, however it is not less bulky. It is heavy and powerful, well suited to big hands and will likely last the next 35 years. It is also very affordable.
        The dust port is a proprietary design which would require some work to adapt. The bag doesn't really come off. I don't think I would want a dust hose in the way.

Comment

Just like the others --I had mine for over 30 yrs (3 x 24) and someone borrowed it and trashed it so I now have the 3 x 21 and really like it too. The only difference is it's just a little smaller. It's really hard to kill them and they do a ton of work. DC is pretty good also if you hook up a vac.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
            I have had a Makita 9924 for about 35 years & they still sell the same model. It is very tough & powerful. It's a 3 x 24, but will also run 3 x 24 belts. Mine has been used & abused for hours on end, day after day. The only work I've had to do on it is to clean & lube the front roller & replace the cork/graphite platen pad. Highly recommended.
            I think Frank meant to say 4 x 24 belts also.
            drzaius likes this.

Comment

I have 2 of the Makita belt sanders, they aren’t as powerful as the big Porter Cables but they do the job well and a good balance between lightweight and able to large panels.
              sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                Just like the others --I had mine for over 30 yrs (3 x 24) and someone borrowed it and trashed it so I now have the 3 x 21 and really like it too. The only difference is it's just a little smaller. It's really hard to kill them and they do a ton of work. DC is pretty good also if you hook up a vac.
                Any hints on how you attached it to a vac? My 3 x 21 Model 9900B is 19 years old, and works well. However, I have to pry off the bag when emptying (easier than shaking the whole sander over a garbage can). I've replaced the bag once and the graphite and cork (not sure if the new ones have the cork piece) wear plates a couple times.

...Wayne

Comment

I cobbled up an adapter (gone now) for the last one Wayne -- but haven't bothered to make one for the new one as I never use it anymore. It gets used just for rough work or scribing counters and panels now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

I think Frank meant to say 4 x 24 belts also.
                    Right you are.

I'll also add that dust collection with just the bag is pretty good. It certainly catches most of the mess, although you'll still want to wear a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne - Oakville View Post

Any hints on how you attached it to a vac? My 3 x 21 Model 9900B is 19 years old, and works well. However, I have to pry off the bag when emptying (easier than shaking the whole sander over a garbage can). I've replaced the bag once and the graphite and cork (not sure if the new ones have the cork piece) wear plates a couple times.

...Wayne
                      My 3x24” Makita came with a vacuum adapter that slides on to the rectangular port, converting it to a round port. If my memory serves me well, I had to heat the round port with a heat gun and enlarge it a bit to work with my Festool D27 hose.
                      Chris Wong
                      http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

2 years ago I replaced my venerable Elu 3X21 with a Triton 3X21. I think that model has been out about 3 or so years now.

I did a bit of a write-up on its performance at that time (can't seem to find it...) but I've got to tell you that for the money it's a darned good machine. I doubt that it will hold up nearly as well as the Elu, but then not too many belt sanders can touch them either. Its variable speed and adjustable front handle are neat features which make it worth considering.

For dust collection, I removed the bayonet-style connector on the provided dust bag, then hotmelt glued it to a spare hose from another sander. It works fairly well when sanding flat panels, which is about all you can ever expect from a belt sander that doesn't have a sanding skirt arrangement.
                        All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                        - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Working...
                        X