TiltBoxII busted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiltBoxII busted...

Sadly, after not much use, my TiltBoxII appears to be busted. The battery was out, so I replaced it, but upon doing so, it looks like every lcd segment in the screen is lit, which makes the device un-readable.

Curious if anyone else has encountered anything similar?

I'm debating whether I should replace it, or opt for an alternative solution (eg. something like https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...tal-protractor could likely be made to fit my use cases).

Cheers,
    Jeff
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: TiltBoxII busted...

I love my little tilt box. I went to use it the other day and battery was dead. I keep forgetting to get a battery for it and I hope the same doesn’t happen to me when I eventually replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

did you try taking the battery out again and replacing it?
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
      ) A person who solves problems you can't.
      2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
        did you try taking the battery out again and replacing it?
        Yeah; unfortunately, the same issue was seem with a few batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
          Sadly, after not much use, my TiltBoxII appears to be busted. The battery was out, so I replaced it, but upon doing so, it looks like every lcd segment in the screen is lit, which makes the device un-readable.

Curious if anyone else has encountered anything similar?

I'm debating whether I should replace it, or opt for an alternative solution (eg. something like https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...tal-protractor could likely be made to fit my use cases).

Cheers,
          Jeff
          I have both. I know exactly where the tiltbox is, I would have to look for the protractor. If you use your tiltbox a lot you will get another, regardless.

Comment

The one that I have is innacurate and no where near the cited 1/10 of a degree accuracy. I used to rely on it for setting the tilt, etc. on my tools, but found that it's actually off by more then a few degrees. Worst, though, is the fact that I cannot get consistent results with it. Just to show how it doesn't work correctly, I used it to set my Felder K700S slider's blade to 45 degrees then set my mechanical mitre gauge from it. I then moved the saw blade back to 90 degrees, then again using the TiltBoxII to set the blade to 45 degreees and laid the mitre gauge onto it. Using a bright light, I could see that the blade's edge and the mitre gauge leg weren't at the same angle by a considerable margin. I then repeated the same process and to my eye, it was still off, but not by as much... and it was in the other direction!

Has anyone else found this to be the case with their TiltBoxII ?
            All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
            - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have one, and its not that consistent or accurate, but more of a “ballpark” device; i’ll measure, calibrate, and repeat 3 or 5 times and choose whichever value repeats the most as the “correct” one

if need to be THAT accurate, i’ll use a right-angle-triangle calculator and draw it out on a piece of paper or cardboard

Comment

Working...
              X