General 130 Planer Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General 130 Planer Rehab

I recently purchased a General 130 Planer and my first clue into it requiring some attention is  when i went to drain the gear box and no oil poured out. When i removed the cover i discovered it was full of grease. Would this be a problem? Also, i noticed the shifter had a plastic piece that appears cracked, is this a factory part or a previous fix? Thanks for your help and guidance in advanced!  
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: General 130 Planer Rehab

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/363/6694.pdf

Says Oil is required in gearbox.
    JKLinton likes this.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

grease pushed off to the side doesnt do much, we put diff fluid in my steering box on an old car that originally had grease.     That plastic part should be brass by my memory, Had one of those apart too many times.  
      JKLinton likes this.

Comment

suppose to have gear oil upto the rh side drain hole
        bronze gear looks a bit worn
        your plastic pc should be bronze 1/4 thick a 3/4 long with a hole in the ctr
        clean flush with varsol
        replace the 2 seals around the 2 shafts
        silcone for a gasket better
        JKLinton likes this.

Comment

The brass gear looks fine   other than grease is obscuring some of it, I see no wear at all on it from what shows.  

Im not a fan of those machines.   Well made and honest but it wasted my time too many times. I bought a 50 year old SCM and it works better and has never taken any time or let me down.  

JKLinton likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X