• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1000A Owner Manual, Parts Diagram and Service Manual uploads

f1000a manual.pdf

Hitachi F-1000A Planer-Jointer cover page.pdf
    Hitachi F-1000A Planer-Jointer Parts Diagram.pdf
    Hitachi F-1000A Planer-Jointer Technical Data.pdf

I'm doing a repower project with an induction motor for an F-1000A. Some notes here...
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...epower-project

If anyone is parting an F-1000A out please let us know...<[email protected]>

Gregg.
    John Bartley likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: F-1000A Owner Manual, Parts Diagram and Service Manual uploads

Opened and downloaded for me.
    Pete

Comment

Very nice of you to supply this information for future needs.

Thank you !!

Comment

We should thank Dave Coomber (member Dave C from Delaware) for providing most of that. So thanks Dave. I will pick your brains later I'm sure when servicing mine.

If anyone else has other docs about this machine, especially docs that will help with servicing, you could upload them on this thread, keeping everything easy to find.

Cheers,
        Gregg

Comment

Some thoughts and questions re servicing.

Bed rollers...
          Has anyone had ideas on how to remove them..? I looked again at the amazing high speed rebuild video on Youtube and I just can't tell. I suspect that if the height adjuster bolts (38) are removed the roller shaft (36) might slide out. Too easy..? That would mean the shaft needs a recess for the bolt(s), or similar to retain it. Dave, what did you try sofar..?

Where are the bearing surfaces for the bed rollers? Are they shells that are pressed inside the ends of the roller at time of manufacture? Bearings are scintered iron and I don't think the whole roller is that material...

Lubrication fluids...
          What are modern equivalents for Hitachi Motor Grease (for gearbox) and Hitachi Electric Tool Grease No. 1 (for ball bearings?).......? Not easy to find answers online. I will ask the repair wizard at the Powertool Centre when I am delivering a six pack for the old fan blades. Adjacent to that, I think that some old DeWalt armatures that I added to my scrounge bag have PJ pulleys on them that may be good for pulley replacement on the old motor spindle for my repower configuration.

Where is a good place to look for Turbine oil in small quantities..? Do car turbo's use it..?

Lube for scintered bearings in rollers....
          The feed rollers and bed rollers have scintered bearings that soak up oil (turbine oil is spec'd). Guessing out loud, I think a mineral oil might age and clog the scintered metal pores. In need, maybe we can use a synthetic with the right viscosity. If one cant immediately dissassemble to do the soaking, maybe in situ, cleaning then squirting in lubricant.

Lube for feed Screw bearing (23)...
          Has anyone dissassembled... and and seen that bearing? Is it an unshielded thrust bearing and you just clean it and push in some grease, or is it a plain bearing? If one can't yet dissassemble, what about just squirting some gear oil onto it? What have you guys done sofar?

Lanocoat for very slow moving parts (VSMPs:=)...
          Do you chaps have Lanocoat, a lanoline based penetrating/lubricating/corrosion inhibiting spray on film. Penetrates with a real fizz. It does sort of dry a bit to a slightly sticky film. Perfect for VSMPs like hinge pins on a lever etc. Maybe ok for the "elevation shaft" bearings, things like that. May be death for the pores in the scintered iron bearings for the rollers.

Cheers,
          Gregg.
          Last edited by Gregg MacPherson; 08-17-2020, 05:28 PM. Reason: added content.

Comment

I tackled a couple of the servicing issues. Some notes, and an interesting question arises...

Bed rollers removal and lubricationClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_144730_6.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1293815

Lubrication of feed roller bearingsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_165727_7.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1293816

Replenishing the lube on sintered bearings.
            Is there a DIY way of replenishing the lube. The sintered iron doesn't look seriously porous. Can I heat some oil, heat the bearing, imerse it and as it all cools some oil should be sucked back into the pores. But that assumes that there is some empty space, not just congealed, hardened gunk already there. I read somewhere about scintered aluminum bearings for Aaton film cameras that were replenished using a vacuum. Did they have to be cleaned first somehow? Those Aatons have replenishment reservoirs I thought, so the bearings must be porous enough to feed naturally, at normal pressure.

Maybe there is a way to have a journal to feed oil or grease to the bearing surface...?

Comment

Last edited by QC Inspector; 08-18-2020, 10:49 AM. Reason: Added an oil and removed an oiling location.

Comment

Fair comment I suppose. I'm having too much fun re-imagining an already superbly designed machine....The fact that my Tanner thicknesser (Tanner Ferguson, tractor-esque) has grease nipples for the feed rollers got me thinking. But yes, a long pointy nozzle could get oil down to the edge of the bed roller bearing. Maybe a similar approach works for the feed roller bearings...extend the nozzle with a little tube maybe, dropping oil in as the machine runs.

Can you remember what forum had the "chain oil in...gearbox" chit chat..? I like the idea if having gearbox fluid with some mobility, like slightly fluid grease. I don't think the gearbox has seals, but it still might work. The stationary fluid level would be well below the armature bearing and drive spindle bearing, the likely leak zones.

Cheers,
                Gregg

Comment

Steve The Drill Sergeant
                  Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Just a note .... we seem to be having trouble with links and photos and strange letter characters .... please bear, bare, Behr with us (whatever does it for you) and we'll try to get this forum working again ...

cheers

Comment

Steve, I don't know if they have an Hitachi category (smiley face)

Comment

Thank you Gregg for working this out....I remember looking at that picture on p13 and noting the height to set the rollers without noticing what I had been wondering about...My wife will often remind me of this tendency...back to humility.
                        I posted my idea on lubing the bed roller bearings on https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-project/page3.....
                        I think the primary function of turbine oil is probably coping with heat from high speeds;...In my glory days, I worked with very high vacuums using turbo pumps, and they used special oils until they came up with magnetic bearings...I think your all-weather oil is probably sufficient for these bearings.

Comment

Good lead to save for F-1000A motor rewinding...
                          There's a post on the forum by a guy who had an armature rewound in CA for $125 in 2018. That's pretty good. Scroll to post #13...
                          https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...mature-rebuild

Comment

Working...
                          X