Eichmann G unit 3/4" spindle molder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eichmann G unit 3/4" spindle molder

Does anyone recognize this little molder spindle..? Quite a few people here in NZ had these installed in wooden benches. I still do, though I only use it occasionally   now. In the 90s I was making a living shaping oval free standing mirrors (chevals) and such. I was wondering if any of these spindles turned up elsewhere in the world.

I think Eichman was living in NZ and made some machinery, spindle molders, guide heads for band saws, don't know what else...The Eichmann catalogue of plain molder knives was the standard here. Last time I looked they were still the same patterns.

A year ago a couple of these turned up at the tool shop, one after the other for $50 each. Couldn't help myself, I now have a spare...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200820_094919_9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	1293971

Last edited by Gregg MacPherson; 08-19-2020, 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Eichmann G unit 3/4" spindle molder

Never seen one before but looks to be nice quality. Did they have a router spindle available?

Comment

If they did a spindle for router bits I never saw one. But I did once briefly own a 5/8" spindle molder that was Either Eichman or a copy of the design. A really useful looking tool for very small work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg MacPherson View Post
        Does anyone recognize this little molder spindle..? Quite a few people here in NZ had these installed in wooden benches. I still do, though I only use it occasionally   now. In the 90s I was making a living shaping oval free standing mirrors (chevals) and such. I was wondering if any of these spindles turned up elsewhere in the world.

I think Eichman was living in NZ and made some machinery, spindle molders, guide heads for band saws, don't know what else...The Eichmann catalogue of plain molder knives was the standard here. Last time I looked they were still the same patterns.

A year ago a couple of these turned up at the tool shop, one after the other for $50 each. Couldn't help myself, I now have a spare...

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200820_094919_9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	1293971

I have one of those, funny you should bring it up now as 2 weeks ago I met the guy who used to be the store man for Louis Eichmann back in the 1970s he was telling me what a hard character he was to work for.
        My G head was in a wooden box with concrete in the bottom and a wooden top, recently I found a cast iron table with a similar head in it, the head was a smaller shaft and less rise and fall adjustment so I did a swap.
        One of the companies I worked for had 6 of them, they had 2 tables with 3 in each, each head was set up to do one job only, they had one table in the cabinet making workshop and one in the joinery workshop where we made wooden windows and doors, when we were fitting the window sash one G head was set to do the stay rebate one G head was set to do the radius on the top back corner and one G head was to do the double sunk rebate on the bottom, there was a lot of time saved by not having to do a complete machine set up for such a small operation, it was one motor that was driving all 3 heads so with the flick of the switch we could do all 3 operations in a matter of moments.
        I was recently using mine as a flush trimmer as you can see in the photo, my table has no decent fence so I would be cramping pieces of wood to it if I needed a fence.
        Interesting what pops up on here.  

Comment

I also have the same wooden box you show in the photo.

Comment

Good score with the old iron molder. Maybe I'll find something. Do you ever stack heads on yours? Has worked for me.

Comment

Good score with the old iron molder. Maybe I'll find something. Do you ever stack heads on yours? Has worked for me.
              No Greg Ive never stacked heads on this machine but I did on real spindle molders with 30mm shafts when working with big stuff, my machine is one speed and not so fast, I was used to working at 6000 and 9000 rpm so now I feel a little concerned at the ease of cutting at much slower speeds, even though my machine is heavy and difficult to move it is still light by comparison to those big machines I spent so many years using, the big heavy machines were not going to move and I felt safe on them, much the same as my present wood lathe that maintains its power out put to compensate for the load I put on it, now if I get on a belt drive lathe that slows under load I feel unsure and hesitant.
              I have not had a lot of reason to use my toy spindle to gain confidence in it, I would rather be on the wood lathe now, so many things to explore and having the wood spinning seems like play.

Comment

A toy for you, a useful tool to me. I don't think I could be the master of it if I did not like or respect it. Mine has an old 1.5HP GMF motor at 2850rpm with a 152/72 pulley ratio, so the spindle is running about 6000rpm.  

Comment

The machine has been covered in junk and unused for a while. I dug it out to make some Jarahh dowel for a child security gate. It reminded me that I used to make some beautiful things on this primitive setup. The Eichmann G unit (3/4") is set into a wooden table top made from an old fire stop door, with painted hardboard surface. I used to lay a piece of MDF about 1.8x1.2m on top when carving large oval cheval mirrors. They had quite a narrow profile and the knife reach was small.

Some samples cut with that machine. The fancy profile, for a bookshelf, one of only two, was about 8 passes, 3 or 4 separate knife setups. All with plain Eichmann head/knives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210720_174817.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	1337277 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_140109.jpg
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1337274 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_122025.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	1337275

Name:	20210721_135214.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1337276

So is the whole thing a "windup" ? Did I take those pics on a trip to Indonesia...?

Gregg.
                  Attached Files
                  iamtooler likes this.

Comment

The machine has been covered in junk and unused for a while. I dug it out to make some Jarahh dowel for a child security gate. It reminded me that I used to make some beautiful things on this primitive setup. The Eichmann G unit (3/4") is set into a wooden table top made from an old fire stop door, with painted hardboard surface. I used to lay a piece of MDF about 1.8x1.2m on top when carving large oval cheval mirrors. They had quite a narrow profile and the knife reach was small.

Some samples cut with that machine. The fancy profile, for a bookshelf, one of only two, was about 8 passes, 3 or 4 separate knife setups. All with plain Eichmann head/knives.

Name:	20210720_174817.jpg
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	1337277 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_140109.jpg
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1337274 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_122025.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	1337275

Name:	20210721_135214.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1337276

So is the whole thing a "windup" ? Did I take those pics on a trip to Indonesia...?

Gregg.
                    My Eichmann G unit spindle molder is buried under other stuff too Gregg and like you I do pull it out occasionally and useful when I do, for the first 2 rocking chairs I made I used it a bit but with the last rocking chair I made some alterations so I did not use the Eichmann head.
                    Very few people these days would know what to do with them so I guess most are sat unloved in a shed or have gone to the scrap dealers, I see a lot of big machines going cheap now ( too much bird seed) they need space and a job to do both are hard to find I guess.

Comment

Interesting rocking chair. Sort of Northern European meets Vulcan. No Klingon influence. Your G unit setup is very tidy, the opposite of mine, which really does look like something arcane from Indonesia or India. I wanted the dowel to be not perfect, to have small irregularities or machine errors that you don't see in stock dowel. Plus the only possible place here had only American Oak and Rosewwod at about NZD13/m (CAD11.40/m). So more appealing qualities, and less expensive .

I've been looking at the 1-1/4 moulders floating by on trademe, some at crazy low prices. I might wait for a 1" one, or may even stick with 3/4". I have just been toying with the crazy idea of making my own top by converting a benchsaw top. Lot of work by the time I make guard, fences...

Comment

Interesting rocking chair. Sort of Northern European meets Vulcan. No Klingon influence. Your G unit setup is very tidy, the opposite of mine, which really does look like something arcane from Indonesia or India. I wanted the dowel to be not perfect, to have small irregularities or machine errors that you don't see in stock dowel. Plus the only possible place here had only American Oak and Rosewwod at about NZD13/m (CAD11.40/m). So more appealing qualities, and less expensive .

I've been looking at the 1-1/4 moulders floating by on trademe, some at crazy low prices. I might wait for a 1" one, or may even stick with 3/4". I have just been toying with the crazy idea of making my own top by converting a benchsaw top. Lot of work by the time I make guard, fences...
                        Gregg the rocking chair is from a Hal Taylor plan, Hal Taylor developed this chair after seeing a Sam Maloof chair in the Smithsonian Museum in the 1984, its a very clever design.
                        The table I put my G head in I got with another head in it and yes it was a bit of work to fit the G head which is better than the original, a fence is a bit more difficult, I did see a small spindle molder recently on trade me with a fence, anything can be done with time and in most cases money unless you know someone with the metal working equipment.
                        I mostly use my G Head with a ball race as a copy cutter as you see in my picture, if I did need a fence I would cramp a wooden one to the bench.

Comment

If we both had time, it would be interesting to study the methods used in carving those rocking chair components and the use of jigs generally. I have to make a handrail for our spiral stairway sometime and I'm pondering ways of having the workpiece(s) be actualy spiral shaped. The idea of faking it with pieces carved "in plane" is less fun.

Comment

If we both had time, it would be interesting to study the methods used in carving those rocking chair components and the use of jigs generally. I have to make a handrail for our spiral stairway sometime and I'm pondering ways of having the workpiece(s) be actualy spiral shaped. The idea of faking it with pieces carved "in plane" is less fun.
                            Hey Gregg I have the time, It would be good to get my teeth into something interesting.
                            I did document all 3 of my rocking chair builds on CWW and I have found them, there is a lot of reading.
                            https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-rocking-chair
                            https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-years-project
                            https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-years-project
                            Years ago when I was boat building I made the hand rails for 3 sets of stairs in one of the boats and all I can say is you would not want to pay my wage bill for making these, they were all laminated I think but then some parts may have been cut from solid wood, the lamination's were 1mm veneers that were cut in Melbourne Australia the company bought it in to make these ceiling features.
                            Start a thread about your hand rail project or maybe just some photos of what you want to do.

Comment

Hey, thanks for sharing that. I'll have to pace myself, things are getting busy here....I'll read the rocking chair docs and come back...

Laminations from 1mm veneer. Chapeau..! Or were you just crazy. I see from the thumbnail pictures that some radii were very small.

My stairway spiral is drawn on a cylinder of about r=700mm, so with something like kauri, laminations of 4 to 5mm thick. I did some workups on a version with a slight oval section, lamination ideas where I moulded the profile straight, then laminated it in situ on the steel spiral. Can't quickly find the notes to say whether I planned to slice it before or after moulding it. I remember one version where I investigated maybe slicing after moulding, and changed the section to allow for the kerfs. But I think I could just screw the laminates together and mould it (straight)

I also like the idea of joined sections, end to end to acheive the continuous spiral, but I would need to come up with a jig that allowed carving the sections conforming to the spiral line. Bit tired at the moment, but I do have maybe one seed concept. We mould in plane curves on flat surfaces, but if the flat surface was curved or spiral, not the iron top I mean, maybe a jig on a spiral track, like a roller coaster.

I was sofar going with a round section for my joined version, to make life easier, but the roller coaster jig idea would allow other profiles.
                              Last edited by Gregg MacPherson; Yesterday, 04:05 AM. Reason: more info..

Comment

Working...
                              X