FS Tool Dado Stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS Tool Dado Stacks

I see that FS Tool lists two 8 inch dado stacks - 54DL08 and 53DL08.

The 53DL08 has a 24 tooth design, and sells for around $250. The 54DL08 has a 40 tooth design, and sells for around $370.

What surprised me is that neither seems to come with shims. Every other dado stack I have looked at had a variety of shims to fine tune the width of cut.

Since we can't seem to get the magnetic shims here in Canada, I have to wonder how useful the FS Tool dado stacks are by themselves. With my Freud stack, I have to always use shims to match the width of plywood, and even to get to an actual 1/4" cut you need a shim.

Anyone have any idea why FS Tool decided to not include a set of shims?

P.S. - anyone have a source for magnetic dado stack shims? Nobody seems to carry them in Canada. Amazon.ca and .com list them, but have them as unavailable. The shims can be ordered from some US stores, such as Highland Woodworking, but the shipping costs are obscene, usually much more than the cost of the shims.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: FS Tool Dado Stacks

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
    I see that FS Tool lists two 8 inch dado stacks - 54DL08 and 53DL08.

The 53DL08 has a 24 tooth design, and sells for around $250. The 54DL08 has a 40 tooth design, and sells for around $370.

What surprised me is that neither seems to come with shims. Every other dado stack I have looked at had a variety of shims to fine tune the width of cut.

Since we can't seem to get the magnetic shims here in Canada, I have to wonder how useful the FS Tool dado stacks are by themselves. With my Freud stack, I have to always use shims to match the width of plywood, and even to get to an actual 1/4" cut you need a shim.

Anyone have any idea why FS Tool decided to not include a set of shims?

P.S. - anyone have a source for magnetic dado stack shims? Nobody seems to carry them in Canada. Amazon.ca and .com list them, but have them as unavailable. The shims can be ordered from some US stores, such as Highland Woodworking, but the shipping costs are obscene, usually much more than the cost of the shims.
    My Delta set came with shims, but I still have a small assortment of paper and cardboard home made shims in the box .... and I use them. Personally if a set came without shims and I wanted permanent shims, I'd buy a brass shim stock assortment and cut them from those shim sheets. I'm not sure what benefit magnetic is, but I am open to being educated.
    Byacey likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
      I'm not sure what benefit magnetic is, but I am open to being educated.
      John:

I have an ongoing challenge with shims that drop down into the threads of the arbor. When you tighten the stack, you deform the shim, and it may stop the stack from closing up all the way.

A common solution is to put a drop of oil onto the shim, which will hold it in position. I find that solution messy and not always effective.

A magnetic shim will sit wherever you put it. No concerns about it dropping down and getting caught in the threads.

Comment

John:

I have an ongoing challenge with shims that drop down into the threads of the arbor. When you tighten the stack, you deform the shim, and it may stop the stack from closing up all the way.

A common solution is to put a drop of oil onto the shim, which will hold it in position. I find that solution messy and not always effective.

A magnetic shim will sit wherever you put it. No concerns about it dropping down and getting caught in the threads.
        Ahhhh, ok. That makes perfect sense. I guess I have avoided that issue by using paper shims. If they get caught and deformed slightly (which they do), the paper either shears off or I make a new one.
        cheers, thank you for the education

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Ahhhh, ok. That makes perfect sense. I guess I have avoided that issue by using paper shims. If they get caught and deformed slightly (which they do), the paper either shears off or I make a new one.
          How thick are paper shims?

Comment

How thick are paper shims?
            Whatever thickness the paper on hand happens to be ....

Comment

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=05J1301
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Randy - sorry, but that is your point? Those are plastic, not magnetic.

Comment

Randy - sorry, but that is your point? Those are plastic, not magnetic.
                  No point. Just highlighting that they are there and perhaps you hadn't seen them. They may be a good second choice if you can't find the magnetic ones (which are a good idea).

Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

I never even knew that magnetic shims existed til now.
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                      I never even knew that magnetic shims existed til now.
                      An example from an American vendor:

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...dadoshims.aspx

Comment

Man, I'm love me some magnetic shims, I have that drop-down problem all the time! Usually I catch it, but one time I didn't notice that the jammed shim had kept the stack from closing all the way when I tightened the nut: when I turned the saw on to do a test cut, the stack shook loose and the chippers shipped around inside the stack, breaking all the teeth off the blade. I got a shower of broken teeth right in my face!! Now I'm ultra paranoid about my shims, magnetic ones would be amazing.

Comment

I couldn't resist, I just went ahead and ordered the set you linked to. Shipping to Canada is "TBD" , I'll post here when they tell me what is is.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                            Man, I'm love me some magnetic shims, I have that drop-down problem all the time!
                            I have sent a message to Stockroom Supply, asking if they would consider carrying magnetic shims.

If they respond, I will let everyone here know.

Comment

I have ordered several times from Tools Today. They give you a price landed in CDN . I got next day delivered and it came from Long Island , NY.
                              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
                              X