Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FS Tool Dado Stacks

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    I have ordered several times from Tools Today. They give you a price landed in CDN . I got next day delivered and it came from Long Island , NY.
    Unfortunately, Tools Today do not list any magnetic shims. They list several different sets of shims, but none are magnetic.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

After buying a Finger Joint set from Festool (LV) I emailed Festool and asked why the finger joint set doesnt cut exactly 1/4 0r 3/8
      They mailed me a magnetic shim set no charge.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

If you are ordering now from the US, and are having it delivered by a courier, the new USMCA (New NAFTA) has changed the duty free limit from $20 to $150 on all shipments. However, if delivered by Canada Post, the limit is still $20.

This took effect July 1. Great for small odd items we cannot get here

See the article

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...ot-canada-post

Comment

Originally posted by Darcon View Post
          If you are ordering now from the US, and are having it delivered by a courier, the new USMCA (New NAFTA) has changed the duty free limit from $20 to $150 on all shipments. However, if delivered by Canada Post, the limit is still $20.

This took effect July 1. Great for small odd items we cannot get here

See the article

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...ot-canada-post
          I still find Canada post the most efficient for sending product to the US. What is your opinion?
          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post

I still find Canada post the most efficient for sending product to the US. What is your opinion?
            Agreed.

Couriers will almost always be more expensive than Canada Post for shipping

Comment

Found the magnetic shims on the grizzly.com website. They are only 9.95US.

And another $19.99US shipping to Canada!

Ouch!!!!

Comment

If there were some other things you wanted from Grizzly how much extra would the shipping be? Might be better to get a few small things you need for the same shipping costs.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post
                  If there were some other things you wanted from Grizzly how much extra would the shipping be? Might be better to get a few small things you need for the same shipping costs.
                  Pete - good idea. Worth looking into!

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
                    Found the magnetic shims on the grizzly.com website. They are only 9.95US.

And another $19.99US shipping to Canada!

Ouch!!!!
                    Rob, I just got the same shipping cost quoted from highland woodworking. I'm going to go ahead with it. I doubt adding another package would increase the shipping, so if you want I can add one on for you and send it on to you when it arrives here. (Or else I know a couple forum members now who cottage near me and would happily Rucker I'm sure). Just let me know soon please.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

Rob, I just got the same shipping cost quoted from highland woodworking. I'm going to go ahead with it. I doubt adding another package would increase the shipping, so if you want I can add one on for you and send it on to you when it arrives here. (Or else I know a couple forum members now who cottage near me and would happily Rucker I'm sure). Just let me know soon please.
                      I am interested. Please see if ordering two changes the shipping. If it looks good, I will go with a set. Thanks!

Even so, after currency exchange, they are going to cost more than they are worth....but what else can we do?

Comment

Alright, shipping was the same with the extra set, I selected fed ex for a few bucks more so they should be here in a couple days. If you send me your postal address I can send your set on when it arrives. Alternately, you could arrange a Rucker from my shop, either is fine by me.

Comment

When you gents get them can you see if they have a north side and a south side and repel/attract. Might be a laugh seeing it pop off the shaft when a pair are put on.

Pete

Comment

I have sent a message to Stockroom Supply, asking if they would consider carrying magnetic shims.
                            Stockroom Supply has responded:
                            Robert,

We do not carry these and we don't have any plans to. Sorry we can't be more helpful.

Katie
                            Stockroom Supply
                            1-877-287-5017

Comment

I see that FS Tool lists two 8 inch dado stacks - 54DL08 and 53DL08.

The 53DL08 has a 24 tooth design, and sells for around $250. The 54DL08 has a 40 tooth design, and sells for around $370.

What surprised me is that neither seems to come with shims. Every other dado stack I have looked at had a variety of shims to fine tune the width of cut.
                              For what its worth: My FS Tool 40tooth dado set, purchased about 10 years ago, has a set of plastic shims in it.

I can highly recommend this set. I have a cheaper Freud set that I use for rough materials or jobs where I'm not as concerned about perfect dado cuts. The 40 tooth FS tool set however cuts perfect dadoes in veneer sheet goods
                              Last edited by cstephens2; 09-17-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstephens2 View Post
                                For what its worth: My FS Tool 40tooth dado set, purchased about 10 years ago, has a set of plastic shims in it.
                                That is interesting. Nobody that lists either FS Tools dado sets shows, or lists, a set of shims.

Originally posted by cstephens2 View Post
                                I can highly recommend this set. I have a cheaper Freud set that I use for rough materials or jobs where I'm not as concerned about perfect dado cuts. The 40 tooth FS tool set however cuts perfect dadoes in veneer sheet goods
                                How flat is the cut with your Freud set? Mine is pretty bad, some of the cutters seem longer than others.

Comment

Working...
                                X