Slow 3100rpm Portable maximum table saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow 3100rpm Portable maximum table saw

Hi, I have been considering a portable saw on wheels for around the house/cottage Reno type projects. I already have a wadkin ags10 so this would be back up to it.

Initially I thought I might go for the king, but there is no reviews out there that I can find.

Canadian tire has their maximum one go on for $500 frequently and in store it appears to be quite robust and well built. And I have enough rewards saved up I could almost have it free.

However although it’s a 10” saw it only spins at 3100 rpm most table sales spin 5000rpm.
    is this a deal breaker? Is there pros/cons to the slower rpm?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...?rrec=true#spc
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Slow 3100rpm Portable maximum table saw

3000 rpm is pretty slow for a table saw, i would consider the bigger ridgid or makita

or even better than any modern jobsite saw, think about a beaver 3200, cheap, bullet proof, induction motor with a real belt drive
    it's only an 8 inch saw, but it has enough depth to easily rip up construction lumber
    Last edited by stevem; 09-20-2020, 06:08 PM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by Morningwood_01 View Post
      However although it’s a 10” saw it only spins at 3100 rpm
      I tried to find that in the spec's and I was not able. Can you give us a link to where you found the rpm information?

Comment

I would suggest this dewalt over the maximum

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dew...tem/1000721937

My brother has it and it ripped 8/4 maple just fine. I like the rack and pinion fence. Plus its almost 20lbs lighter than the maximum.

Besides Mastercraft is crap, i find they're quality is getting worse and not much of the maximum line is worth it either, just the wrenches.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I tried to find that in the spec's and I was not able. Can you give us a link to where you found the rpm information?
          The first time I looked at the say I read the 3100 right on the box, it was a strange rpm and I started to doubt that I actually read it myself. So I hunted on the website and came up dry. So I actually went back to Canadian tire to look at it and it is for sure printed on the box 3100

Comment

I Have been using the Ridgid 10" Job site Table saw with the mobile stand now for about 8 months and it has done well. It has a 5000 rpm motor and the folding stand is sturdy.

Comment

The first time I looked at the say I read the 3100 right on the box, it was a strange rpm and I started to doubt that I actually read it myself. So I hunted on the website and came up dry. So I actually went back to Canadian tire to look at it and it is for sure printed on the box 3100
              Thank you. I ask because they might have quoted "motor" rpm, not blade rpm and with the motor to blade gearing it may spin the blade faster or slower than the motor. It's hared to tell without seeing a parts list or the actual gearing unit.

Comment

Thank you. I ask because they might have quoted "motor" rpm, not blade rpm and with the motor to blade gearing it may spin the blade faster or slower than the motor. It's hared to tell without seeing a parts list or the actual gearing unit.
                I had considered that, but since it appears to be direct drive like most saws in that portable catagory rpm for both would be the same.

Comment

I had considered that, but since it appears to be direct drive like most saws in that portable catagory rpm for both would be the same.
                  Ok, just to clarify ..... "direct drive" only means that there is no belt. With most of these saws, there is a gear reduction between the motor and the blade. Depending on the gearing between the motor armature and the blade mandrel, you can have more or less RPM at the motor and the same RPM at the blade.

Just as an example ... the very similar looking Hitachi jobsite saw shows a motor rpm of 4500.

Comment

Ok, just to clarify ..... "direct drive" only means that there is no belt. With most of these saws, there is a gear reduction between the motor and the blade. Depending on the gearing between the motor armature and the blade mandrel, you can have more or less RPM at the motor and the same RPM at the blade.

Just as an example ... the very similar looking Hitachi jobsite saw shows a motor rpm of 4500.

Direct drive means direct drive anything but directly driven is indirect. A geared reduction would be indirect by nature of one gear driving another. You wouldn’t call a worm drive saw direct drive. I don’t believe any saws in the job site category are driven in the way you suggest. I have looked at every current one (Bosch dewalt metabo ridged skil kobalt and maximum) on the market now and with the exception of the skil every one is directly driven by the motor. Meaning the blade arbour is actually the motor shaft.

back on topic. With the odd speed of the maximum I’ve decided against it. I would commend the appearance of the build quality though. The fit and finish and smoothness function (as much as you can tell in the store) is flawless.
                    Again from in store viewing I would say the dewalt presents as the best. Kind of in its own category of feel, all the others seem to be basically the same with slight differences. But because of the cost I’ve decided on the metabo. Its just a newly branded hitachi, it’s on sale this week, and i really like all my other old hitachi tools.

Comment

Found the motor speed on the website under Specifications, No load speed range 2790 - 3410 RPM, not sure how you get a range of no load speeds but also doubt that the dust collector output diameter is 25 in? They seem to think it's important as they state it three times, 63.50 cm, 25 in and 635.00 mm. At least they got the imperial/metric conversion correct

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                        Found the motor speed on the website under Specifications, No load speed range 2790 - 3410 RPM, not sure how you get a range of no load speeds but also doubt that the dust collector output diameter is 25 in? They seem to think it's important as they state it three times, 63.50 cm, 25 in and 635.00 mm. At least they got the imperial/metric conversion correct
                        Lol didn’t even notice that!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                          The motor speed is probably for 50 and 60 cycle electricity, as that would normally be 1440 or 2880 for 50 cycles and 1725 or 3450 for 60 cycles, depending if it is a 2 or 4 pole motor.

I'd guess a 2.5" output or 63.5 mm for the diameter of the outlet, as they use imperial measurements for the USA and Metric for the rest of the world.
                          KenL likes this.

Have fun and take care
                          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

The motor speed is probably for 50 and 60 cycle electricity, as that would normally be 1440 or 2880 for 50 cycles and 1725 or 3450 for 60 cycles, depending if it is a 2 or 4 pole motor.

I'd guess a 2.5" output or 63.5 mm for the diameter of the outlet, as they use imperial measurements for the USA and Metric for the rest of the world.
                            Probably right, the specs likely come from the manufacturer who may sell the saw somewhere in Europe, doubt Canadian Tire is selling many saws overseas I think it is just sloppy spec writing. The correct way to state it would have been to include the power supply frequency as you did and to state speed for each frequency not a range.I agree the correct diameter is likely 2.5". Another example of sloppy spec writing is they state it is a stationary machine, odd for a jobsite saw.

Getting back to the speed issue, not sure if 3450 rpm is a problem. My Rockwell Delta 34090A table saw is direct drive(the blade mounts directly on the motor shaft) so it must be around 3450 rpm. It's the only table saw I have any experience with so don't know if a higher speed would make a difference. I checked but the manual doesn't state the speed. I see the Dewalt DW745 states the no load speed as 3850 rpm, so presumably it is not direct drive? I assume it has a gearbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

Frequency doesn't matter to a universal motor, which I bet that saw has.
                              Byacey likes this.

Comment

Working...
                              X