18V Makita Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V Makita Batteries

Any suggestions on the best deal for batteries? I was really hoping to get a couple cheaper than a new set of drill/driver as I really like the set. I’ve looked at knock offs through amazon but am really gun shy on going that route based on the reviews.
    Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 18V Makita Batteries

To my way of thinking, $148 for a pair of 4ah Makita brand batteries seems pretty fair. The set that came with my drills almost 13 years ago is just starting to wear out so if I get even half that on a new pair I'll be happy at $148.
    stotto likes this.

Comment

I agree the Makita price is fair and I know my Makita batteries have been very good but they are not heavily used. OTOH, spending around $80 to try a pair of 3rd party is somewhat attractive and on the Amazon page I was looking at the ratings seemed quite good.
      You pays your money and you takes your chance with either product.
      billh

Comment

My wife and I just had this discussion .... do we replace our Makita batteries? Or do we go to Home Depot and buy a new (and final) set of battery tools.

I can probably get $50 to $75 for my Makita set of drill, driver and original batteries in a case with charger. Then I spend "whatever" to buy the Ridgid set that I want, register it for the LMA and get batteries for free for life. I'm in my early '60's, so twenty years from now assuming Ridgid is still in business and honouring their LMA, and assuming I live that long in good health, I would have twenty years of good use with no extra costs. So ... spending the extra now might be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
          My wife and I just had this discussion .... do we replace our Makita batteries? Or do we go to Home Depot and buy a new (and final) set of battery tools.

I can probably get $50 to $75 for my Makita set of drill, driver and original batteries in a case with charger. Then I spend "whatever" to buy the Ridgid set that I want, register it for the LMA and get batteries for free for life. I'm in my early '60's, so twenty years from now assuming Ridgid is still in business and honouring their LMA, and assuming I live that long in good health, I would have twenty years of good use with no extra costs. So ... spending the extra now might be the best bet.
          John,

Just curious if you feel that ridgid is comparable to a makita product?

I'm generally not a brand name promoter ( as it can be hit and miss with different brands, when they were manufactured, etc.)

but have to say the old makita drill sets are far and away the best investment out of any hand power tool in my shop.

Like yours they were purchased a number of years ago (13 -15) and still keep going after much use .

The original batteries still hold a great charge.

The batteries get good use in a number of tools.
          http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

If you can hang on for a few weeks Black Friday sales are on at our Canadian big box stores and generally have great deals on tools. Picked up a Milwaukee 12 volt drill/driver combo with charger and 2 batteries for 99$ a couple of years ago at Home Depot on a Black Friday promo.All brands will have some deals if you are in no hurry for a few weeks.
            John , I envy the conversations you and your wife have as my wife would quickly change the topic if I was to ask an opinion on the merits of a tool replacement, I can initiate the eyes glazing over on many topics without adding more chapters to that novel.
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by stotto View Post

John,

Just curious if you feel that ridgid is comparable to a makita product?

I'm generally not a brand name promoter ( as it can be hit and miss with different brands, when they were manufactured, etc.)

but have to say the old makita drill sets are far and away the best investment out of any hand power tool in my shop.

Like yours they were purchased a number of years ago (13 -15) and still keep going after much use .

The original batteries still hold a great charge.

The batteries get good use in a number of tools.
              Hi Stan,

Yes, I do think the Ridgid tools are a decent quality. I was a servicing dealer for them for a number of years after Home Depot first came to Canada. They were pretty good then and I think they have only gotten better since. The tools that gave us the worst problems were the ones owned by contractors who liked to run the batteries right to nothing before switching them out, low voltage being probably a motor's worst enemy, followed by rapid charging of hot batteries killing the batteries in short order. My biggest complaint with them vs Makita was the weight. The Ridgid was noticeably heavier and as I age that concern is NOT diminishing However, we recently bought the full combo kit as a "Congrats on your first new home" gift for our nephew and I noticed that the weights were much better than in previous models. I also very much like the LMA aspect of the tools, especially when I factor in the lifetime replacement batteries. Ridgid was very good at supporting their tools when I was a warranty service dealer and I see no reason for them not to continue as long as Home depot is flogging them in the volumes that they are. The set I am considering is the new Gen5X set with drills, saws and charger, and I think that by the time I get done selling my excess tools I should be down to about $500 for an $850 seat, so ..... not a big pile of change these days.

Bottom line for me .... I think that the "quality" is probably equal between names like Ridgid, Makita, Bosch, DeWalt etc, but the LMA and the fact that Home Depot is the seller and is not likely going anywhere any time soon make for peace of mind for me.

Comment

Originally posted by billsm View Post

If you can hang on for a few weeks Black Friday sales are on at our Canadian big box stores and generally have great deals on tools. Picked up a Milwaukee 12 volt drill/driver combo with charger and 2 batteries for 99$ a couple of years ago at Home Depot on a Black Friday promo.All brands will have some deals if you are in no hurry for a few weeks.
                John , I envy the conversations you and your wife have as my wife would quickly change the topic if I was to ask an opinion on the merits of a tool replacement, I can initiate the eyes glazing over on many topics without adding more chapters to that novel.
                Bill
                Hi Bill,

That's a great idea about Black Friday. I am not a "sales" oriented person, so I would never have thought that way. I think I'll hold off, thank you !!

There are more and more often days that I understand that the reason I am still alive and not broke is because my sweetheart keeps gently prodding me back onto the straight and narrow and she does it without ever saying "no". I am lucky.

cheers !!

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood1207 View Post
                  Any suggestions on the best deal for batteries? I was really hoping to get a couple cheaper than a new set of drill/driver as I really like the set. I’ve looked at knock offs through amazon but am really gun shy on going that route based on the reviews.
                  Sorry for the hijack !!

I still think that if yo like your Makita tools and plan to keep them, the Makita batteries are the best deal, even at twice the price of aftermarket, but ..... the dollars do speak loudly.

Comment

I've watched/read a few comparison tests between the OEM & no name batteries. In all cases the no name ones ranged from a decent capacity for the dollar to just a bad value. But long product life is where the cheap ones really seam to be a bad deal. Many of my M18 batteries are well over 10 years old with no noticeable reduction in capacity.

If you constantly watch the sales, you can pay much less than retail price. Every couple of years or so I come across a really good sale & that's when I buy batteries.
                    Last edited by drzaius; 10-18-2020, 10:07 AM.
                    John Bartley likes this.

Comment

I tried to buy makita equivalent batteries on BangGood but they don't want to ship to Canada. I am pleased with the 1/2'' drive impact gun I got for 50$ delivered so I just ordered a one hand recipro saw with 12 blades for 58 dollars delivered. I own two makita batteries but can only find one at the moment and one does really need two. I mostly use M18 Milwaukee and two of my older batteries are NFG after about 10 years. I have a hard time accepting the price of new ones.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that often the drill/driver sets that are on sale come with 1Ah batteries (or at least this is the case for DeWalt which I use). If you want to use the batteries for anything other than drilling/driving you probably want 4 or 5Ah batteries (which are the more pricey ones). I bought a set of 2 5Ah batteries for about $150 on sale a year ago and I couldn't have been happier with that upgrade.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far. I want to get Makita name brand and was more looking if there were any deals on right now that anybody was aware of. My Makita drill/driver combo is about 14 yrs old so I have definitely had a lot of use with them. In regards to the size I’m looking for the same capacity that the originals had (not sure what that is off hand but definitely not 1 ah like dewalt kits and not the 5 ah either) and do not plan on getting any other Makita tools that will require the batteries. I’m too far into dewalt right now on the cordless front for other tools so will stick with them when it makes sense. I do miss having my second drill right now but will hold off until Black Friday as suggested.
                          No problem for the highjack John. Lots of good discussion. I do have a ridgid drill (18v I think) but batteries died within about 2 yrs. at the time I did not know you had to register to qualify for the LSM so I can not get them replaced and as mentioned above I found the ridgid heavier and a bit clunky. It sits in a drawer unused.

edit in:
                          Just checked the Jccayer site and they have the Makita ones for $40 each and are 3 ah. Seems too good to be true but will reach out to make sure they are new and not refurbished or something.
                          Last edited by jaywood1207; 10-18-2020, 05:46 PM.
                          Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Millbank Hardware had a great sale on Makita batteries but sure if the sale is still on. Not sure if you have dealt with them before but they deliver free to Woodstock.
                            Brian
                            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I'm still using a Makita 7.2 v driver drill I got in the 1980's. Sure I've got a few new batteries for it over the years, but overall it's been a great investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X