Air Impact Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Impact Wrench

As I'm not getting any younger, and having just had a hard time loosening up wheel nuts to change to winter tires, I'm considering buying an air impact wrench to make this task easier. Just to get an idea of prices, I looked at Princess Auto site and was a little surprised to see the variation in price, basically $44 to $400+.
    I assume the more expensive guns are designed for frequent/continuous use and are therefore more robust. However, as I only want to change wheels twice a year along with occasional use for tractor/mower maintenance, I am leaning towards the cheaper options. I have a 60gal compressor to provide the air.
    Does anyone have experiences with lower cost impact wrenches as well as possible recommendations, or ones to avoid, they would care to pass along? My son has a cordless unit but it just doesn't have the oomph for initially loosening stubborn, rusted wheel nuts.

Many thanks
    Paul
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Air Impact Wrench

My personal experience with Princess Auto tools is that they tend to work just fine for most purposes. In addition, when they don't work as advertised, Princess Auto has always backed them up with excellent service.

As an example ... I had bought an air powered grease gun for my Ottawa repair shop and was using it commercially. After about a year it stopped pumping. I took it back without a receipt (I had it but it was filed away), told them how old it was, told them how it was being used, and they ...... took it back and gave me a new one.

I have had several other PA air tools over the years and they have been fine.

For changing your wheels twice a year you will be fine and if it fails I am sure you be looked after.

NOTE :: read the instructions as far as lubricating and follow them.

cheers

Comment

I have an air impact from CTire (Mastercraft branded) that is atleast 15yrs old, and just worked fine swapping another set of tires yesterday morning.
      It was part of a combo set, $99 on sale I believe back then.

One huge improvement I found was switching from the small diameter fittings to larger M fittings I think. Like upgrading from 1/4" to 3/8" hose, the fitting into the gun allows that big "ooomph" at the start from the additional air.
      Bonus it sounds like a big boy gun like they use in mech shops!!

That said I bought an electric impact (also Mastercraft) before the air gun, and it is the one I loan out to friends who want to swap their own tires but don't have air available. So 15+ yrs and still going strong, maybe $49 sale price?

Like John said, the PA stuff works well for us hobby users, and as long as the store is near by, returns are very simple and easy.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

That said I bought an electric impact (also Mastercraft) before the air gun, and it is the one I loan out to friends who want to swap their own tires but don't have air available. So 15+ yrs and still going strong, maybe $49 sale price?
        I am glad that you mentioned the electric version. I also have one, a Mastercraft 3/8" 120v electric impact driver and it is spectacularly good. I have also used the 1/2" DeWalt electric impact and it is everything that a person could want and would replace an air version any day.

One thing to remember .... tightening the wheel nuts is NOT done with the impact. The impact is used to spin the nuts on snug, but final tightening is done with a torque wrench ... to spec's. The impact's big job is loosening the nuts to remove the wheel.
        Scott Walsh likes this.

Comment

I also have both and reach for the 1/2" electric impact first.
          ErikM, Scott Walsh and John Bartley like this.

Comment

I have both electric and air, I prefer the electric. Its a Makita , it will loosen the nuts on my SkidSteer which are 180 ft lbs.
            Canadian Tire has decent tools for the price.
            I remember awhile ago a mechanic showed me his expensive Snap On air impact that the rubber bumper tore it said IR , so just because its pricey doesnt mean its better.
            Ive also heard good thing about the cordless line of impacts.
            Last edited by redlee; 11-20-2020, 09:56 PM.
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Good advice here about the relationship between price/performance/durability. My preference is air impact probably because I sold IR air tools for about 25 years. I agree with the recommendation of the PA tools for occasional use. Keep the air lines dry, oil the tool after each use, use the M (industrial interchange) fittings and you will have no problems.
              The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Also have the Mastercraft electric version and it has served well for the annual tire swaps for 10 years now.

Bill
                ErikM likes this.

Comment

Ditto on the Mastercraft corded electric. I waited until I got it on sale for $60 last year.

Comment

I have a Campbell Hausfeld air impact wrench I bought years ago on sale at CTC. Works well for all that I use it for now. When I worked as a mechanic I had Ingersoll Rand, Chicago Pneumatic and Snap On air tools. In my opinion. all much better quality than C/H, but I'm not working at it for a living anymore.
                    Having said that, I think if I was in the market now I would go cordless electric.
                    I noticed last night that CTC has this on sale right now.

Mastercraft 20V Max Cordless Brushed Impact Wrench Kit, 1/2-in

(57)
                    4.2 out of 5 stars. 57 reviews#054-7562-2

SAVE 30% ($80)*Was $249.99

$169.99

The corded electric that others have mentioned, I'm sure would be more powerful than cordless. In my case, I would have to run a very long cord to reach some of the things I might use it on.
                    Last edited by Stuart Jacobs; 11-21-2020, 08:56 AM.
                    Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I had no idea the corded electric units performed that well and as I have already changed wheels for this winter, I may well wait until there's a sale at CT. It may be more convenient for me to follow this option because of its greater flexibility in where it can be used.
                      However, if i do opt for the PA air impact unit, the specs state that minimum air hose size is 3/8" so would I get better performance with a 1/2" hose and do the M fittings have a hose diameter requirement too? I have 3/8" line but it is a short one and drives my spray equipment so I would need to get another line.

Thanks again
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
                        Thank you all for the comments and advice. I had no idea the corded electric units performed that well and as I have already changed wheels for this winter, I may well wait until there's a sale at CT. It may be more convenient for me to follow this option because of its greater flexibility in where it can be used.
                        However, if i do opt for the PA air impact unit, the specs state that minimum air hose size is 3/8" so would I get better performance with a 1/2" hose and do the M fittings have a hose diameter requirement too? I have 3/8" line but it is a short one and drives my spray equipment so I would need to get another line.

Thanks again
                        Paul
                        Paul -- I have had both for many years and also a couple of different air impact tools. You have to look at the torque and the ft-lbs. they put out. There is a big difference between air tools. 3/8" air hose is a must and I doubt you'd get any better performance with 1/2". My suggestion to you would be of convenience and performance with the electric CTC impact. This will do anything you want better than most cheaper air tools and you don't have to be close to a big compressor. Look at the stars on this one. FWIW JMHO
                        Watch for a sale and get that one. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
                          As I'm not getting any younger, and having just had a hard time loosening up wheel nuts to change to winter tires, I'm considering buying an air impact wrench to make this task easier. Just to get an idea of prices, I looked at Princess Auto site and was a little surprised to see the variation in price, basically $44 to $400+.
                          I assume the more expensive guns are designed for frequent/continuous use and are therefore more robust. However, as I only want to change wheels twice a year along with occasional use for tractor/mower maintenance, I am leaning towards the cheaper options. I have a 60gal compressor to provide the air.
                          Does anyone have experiences with lower cost impact wrenches as well as possible recommendations, or ones to avoid, they would care to pass along? My son has a cordless unit but it just doesn't have the oomph for initially loosening stubborn, rusted wheel nuts.

Many thanks
                          Paul
                          As I have aged Paul, I found the best way to do this is to have my tire guy keep which ever set is not required at his place. Factory rims stay nice, winter rims are sacrificial.
                          I take 2 vehicles in twice/year for the changeover.
                          My back loves me.
                          Don
                          beachburl likes this.

Comment

I use a 24" CTC breaker bar like this one (now on sale for $15 instead of $50); https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m..._q=breaker+bar
                            to loosen the nuts then I use my normally for woodworking Ridgid driver with a socket adapter on it to spin the nuts off.
                            Putting back on, I use the driver to tighten the nuts, drop the car and use a torque wrench. Not all that bad even for an old guy.

I think it would be fun to watch somebody break the nuts free on the roadside with the little wrench they give you with the car!

billh

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                              I use a 24" CTC breaker bar like this one (now on sale for $15 instead of $50); https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m..._q=breaker+bar
                              to loosen the nuts then I use my normally for woodworking Ridgid driver with a socket adapter on it to spin the nuts off.
                              Putting back on, I use the driver to tighten the nuts, drop the car and use a torque wrench. Not all that bad even for an old guy.

I think it would be fun to watch somebody break the nuts free on the roadside with the little wrench they give you with the car!

billh
                              It's NOT fun to BE that person!
                              call from wife "car is really wierd, vibrating and shuttering, and CEL is on, I'm 10mins from home should I risk it?"
                              me "no, I'm on way with boys in SUV"
                              me, 5 seconds after pulling upto car "take SUV back home, I'll change the tire and meet you back home"
                              Wife "oh didn't think of that... sorry"
                              me, changing tire with 'little wrench they give you'
                              "sunnuva... piece of a... I'm tossing in a spare breaker bar once back home... useless piece of... argh!"
                              [insert something witty here]

Comment

Working...
                              X