Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Impact Wrench

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
    As I'm not getting any younger, and having just had a hard time loosening up wheel nuts to change to winter tires, I'm considering buying an air impact wrench to make this task easier. Just to get an idea of prices, I looked at Princess Auto site and was a little surprised to see the variation in price, basically $44 to $400+.
    I assume the more expensive guns are designed for frequent/continuous use and are therefore more robust. However, as I only want to change wheels twice a year along with occasional use for tractor/mower maintenance, I am leaning towards the cheaper options. I have a 60gal compressor to provide the air.
    Does anyone have experiences with lower cost impact wrenches as well as possible recommendations, or ones to avoid, they would care to pass along? My son has a cordless unit but it just doesn't have the oomph for initially loosening stubborn, rusted wheel nuts.

Many thanks
    Paul
    Do you have a cordless tool brand in your shop that also makes an impact? I have a Bosch cordless that always does my vehicles and I already owned the batteries for it. It also worked the other day way back in the woods to take a wheel off a tractor. You can get more powerful, but it's done the job for vehicles and tractors etc. Just an idea.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Why go with an air impact tool unless you already have a big compressor. I bought a used Mastercraft electric 1/2” impact tool 10 years ago for $40 and it changes three sets of tires twice a year without any issues and will likely outlast me.
      Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

I have a Campbell Hausfeld (that is about 20 years old) and the DeWalt XRP 18 V battery (that is about 10 years old). The Dewalt brags to have 300 foot pounds of torque. The Campbell hausfeld brags to have 230 foot pounds of torque at 90 psi. These numbers may be true. But I keep my air compressor set to 140-155 psi with a half inch ID airline. So the Campbell kicks the Dewalt but... I'm mistreating the manufactures specs and overloading the tool. It is 20ish years old. Pneumatic impact wrench Chew up a lot of air fast. A minimum of 30 to 40 gallons of air would be helpful. I have an 80 gallon tank.

If you're going electric, my only suggestion would be to look for something that has more than 400 pounds of torque. As well, never use the impact torque wrench to tighten the nuts. Try to set them to the proper torque setting using a torque wrench or tighten them under your own steam using a bar that is about the same length as the wrench tool kept on board the vehicle. This way you can get the nuts off in an on road emergency flat situation.
        Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-21-2020, 10:55 PM.
        callee likes this.
        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

The torque required to loosen a wheel that has been on for a while is not the same as the torque used to fasten it. Rust/corrosion and stiction will increase the force required to loosen.
          billh
          billsm likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

It's NOT fun to BE that person!
            call from wife "car is really wierd, vibrating and shuttering, and CEL is on, I'm 10mins from home should I risk it?"
            me "no, I'm on way with boys in SUV"
            me, 5 seconds after pulling upto car "take SUV back home, I'll change the tire and meet you back home"
            Wife "oh didn't think of that... sorry"
            me, changing tire with 'little wrench they give you'
            "sunnuva... piece of a... I'm tossing in a spare breaker bar once back home... useless piece of... argh!"
            It helps to have a running start into a Bruce Lee ninja kick. Also screaming "HI-YA" can give it that extra bit of umpff when needed.
            Rod Sheridan likes this.

Comment

Due to the surprising amount of positive reviews of the Mastercraft electric impact the stars aligned and in today's junk mail the CTC Flyer has it on for 59.99 starting Thursday.
              an amazing 120$ saving if the flyer is to believed.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Walsh View Post
                It helps to have a running start into a Bruce Lee ninja kick. Also screaming "HI-YA" can give it that extra bit of umpff when needed.
                Noted!

Bill, I think you will be happy with the electric model.
                [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

Noted!

Bill, I think you will be happy with the electric model.
                  I'm quite happy with the electric model, I was pointing it out to Paul as he remarked about picking one up if it went on sale and I wasn't sure if he was lucky enough to receive this rather large CTC flyer.

Bill

Comment

Once again, thank you for all the advice and suggestions.

I picked up the breaker bar from CTC that Bill (h) suggested https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m..._q=breaker+bar. My son grabbed it and was very impressed so he went out and bought one too. Like a couple people suggested it would make roadside wheel removal a lot less frustrating, so thanks for that heads up.

I an definitely leaning towards the CTC electric impact driver because, as Wally suggested I can use it where I don't have a compressor. As we store wheels in the barn, which has electric but no air, we change them there, so the electric unit would fit our modus operandi and be very convenient. Now that this unit is coming on sale, it is looking highly attractive: Thanks Bill(sm) for that heads up.

Paul
                    Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 11-23-2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Just to close out this thread, and once again express my appreciation to everyone who passed on their advice, I looked in the CT flyer that was in my driveway this morning after taking cat to the vet, turned the car around and went to the local store. After the good things said about it, I just couldn't pass up this deal
                      Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 12-10-2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Price is right warranty is good and as said before I much prefer electric over air.
                        • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Ho ho ho ... Merry Christmas to you from yourself eh ? Just watch you don't twist off any wheel studs !!

Comment

I have the old version of that CTC electric impact wrench, it's been 7 or 8 years and so far no regrets, I also have a PA's $15 torque wrench that has been a godsend, these two tools have saved me hundreds of dollars and a lot of time and unnecessary headache.

Comment

Working...
                            X