Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring table saw switch

Hey would anybody have any idea how to wire this dual voltage unisaw motor
    ​​​​​to a paddle switch the motor diagram confuses me which side is hot and which is neutral? I want to wire it for 120volts thanks
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wiring table saw switch

Old stuff did not have neutral or hot.. there may be a white- black cable. so follow that. Remember before grounded 3 prong plugs or even todays indexed 2 prong blugs.

Comment

Do you have a special 120 volt line for the saw? Standard outlets in a house provide 15 amps and this motor is rated for 19.2 amps. It will draw well in excess of that when starting up. I believe the electrical code in most of Canada requires the circuit to be rated for 25% higher amperage than the largest motor load. Thus you ought to have a 25 amp circuit to service this motor with appropriately heavy wiring ($$$) in the wall. Better that than burn the house down.

Craig
      iamtooler and beachburl like this.

Comment

If you look carefully at the back of the switch you will see embossed in the plastic "Line" and "Load". The wires from the house wiring would go on the Line side and the wires to the motor would go on the Load side. For 120V operation you only need to wire the hot to either the upper or lower terminals, the neutral wires can be joined or you can switch them with the second terminal if you wish.
        I just wired up that or a very similar switch and the instructions said to use terminals on the wires to the switch. The screw heads on the switch are small and this recommendation makes good sense rather than trying to wrap the heavy wire directly under the small heads. I found that having the terminals on the wires required having a more generous size box rather than one that the switch just closely fit in.
        Having said the above, pay attention to what WCraig posted above although burning the house down is unlikely but a 15 A circuit will probably trip on startup and it would trip if you ran the saw it full load given it is rated at 19A.
        If the motor is the only thing on the line and the circuit is not rated for adequate current with wire size and breaker then I would suggest rewiring the motor for 230V. The 9A load is well within the capability of #14 wire but you would need a double circuit breaker and the plug and receptacle changed to a 240V set.. In this case, since both wires are hot rather than hot or neutral you need to switch both of them with your paddle switch to be legal.
        billh
        Last edited by billh; 11-25-2020, 12:36 PM. Reason: Added comment on using terminals on switch wiring

Comment

Are you trying to wire for 120volts or 240 volts?

Comment

He said, "I want to wire it for 120volts thanks".
            billh

Comment

At the motor
              Wire red, brown motor wires and white line cord wire together.
              Wire yellow, black motor wires and the black line cord wire together.

At the switch
              Put the supply cord white and black wires on the line (L1, L2) terminals.
              Put the cord to the motor wires on the load(T1,T2) terminals.

Comment

your switch has no overload protection
                your motor has no overload protection
                your going to run it at 110 volt high amp draw

you could eventually burn out motor with out overload protection

Comment

Originally posted by WCraig View Post
                  Do you have a special 120 volt line for the saw? Standard outlets in a house provide 15 amps and this motor is rated for 19.2 amps. It will draw well in excess of that when starting up. I believe the electrical code in most of Canada requires the circuit to be rated for 25% higher amperage than the largest motor load. Thus you ought to have a 25 amp circuit to service this motor with appropriately heavy wiring ($$$) in the wall. Better that than burn the house down.

Craig
                  i agree, i would suggest running this motor on 240, most of my motors of 1 hp or more are wired to 240 volts
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

run it on 220v

Comment

Originally posted by WCraig View Post

Craig
                      Craig, that's for motor circuits, unless it's permanently wired it isn't a motor circuit......Rod.
                      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Craig, that's for motor circuits, unless it's permanently wired it isn't a motor circuit......Rod.
                        You're technically correct, but WCraig is right for practical purposes. If the general purpose circuit doesn't meet the requirements for a motor circuit then there will be breaker tripping issues when the tool is used to capacity. The circuit should be #10 wire with a 30A breaker. Of course for longer distances the wire will have to be upsized to compensate for voltage drop. If the wire length from circuit breaker to receptacle is more than 23m, #8 will be needed.
                        Last edited by drzaius; 11-27-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Threads like these always make me uncomfortable. Basic electrical wiring isn't that hard but ignorance or mistakes can cause damage to life or property. All too often, an OP's question seems to indicate that he or she _may_ not know the safety basics. It is all too easy to imagine a scenario where advice on the forum leads to a fatal "accident".

I don't want to be the safety Nazi. OTOH, if there are glaring safety concerns that no one is mentioning, I feel compelled to.

Maybe the default should be: "if you have to ask, get a professional electrician to do the work".

Craig

Comment

Thanks Ed zauner for the little diagram and explaining about the neutral I will Marette the neutrals together. As for the concern of the outlet I was going to run it off 220volts I bought 10/3 wire but I had a welder that needed a 20 amp outlet and only enough space in my panel for one or the other without having to put a subpanel in.So I bought a male plug, outlet, and breaker rated for 20 amp and decided to wire it for 120 instead, and just installed it using the heavy gauge wire instead of 12/2. The only concern I saw was that 25 percent higher amperage than full draw which I will look more into.

My other question for you knowledgable guys is how important is overload protection? I have seen many other people online use the same switch with their unisaw. Should I buy another switch or somehow add it.thanks everyone

Comment

rewire the motor for 240 and use the welder outlet. kinda rare that both would be used at the same time!
                              my shop is a beaver lodge
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Working...
                              X