Finally Finished Router Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Finished Router Table

After almost 3 years (interrupted by higher priorities) I have finally finished my router table. I have installed my old Makita 3612BR with the Router Raizer attachment.
    To avoid going under the table to lock the shaft for bit changing, I have been looking at collet extensions that permit above the table bit changing. My 3612BR is a single speed motor and the set screw type like the Xtreem Extension scare the hell out of me. In fact I believe Router Technologies even suggest not using one on non-variable speed routers. I have no problem using 2 wrenches so my question is; is there a safe (and not too long) collet extension I can buy to allow above table bit changes? With the insert removed I have a 96mm opening to work in with the wrenches. Thank you for your advice & Cheers; Twogone
    stotto likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Finally Finished Router Table

Here's one

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...RoC9H8QAvD_BwE

I worry about a single collet coming loose so have no problem going under the table to secure my Bosch.

Comment

No pictures of your table so I'm not sure if a lifting mechanism would work or not. Is it permanently attached to the legs? If not, something like this might work well. Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Table - Small.png
Views:	147
Size:	488.9 KB
ID:	1320916 Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Table 2 - Small.png
Views:	143
Size:	613.4 KB
ID:	1320917
      “By All means read what the experts have to say. Just don’t let it get in the way of your woodworking.” John Brown (1932–2008), Welsh stick chairmaker

Comment

Look into the Musclechuck. https://www.musclechuck.com I don't know if it will raise the router above the table enough for you but you use an Allen key from the side to tighten/loosen it. It replaces the router nut and collet. There might be similar products by other makers.

Your other option is bent wrenches to get to the nut and shaft. You'll have to do the bending with a torch.

Pete

Comment

Many thanks for your advice. I'm new at all this so please forgive me if my questions are stupid. I will try to attach photos so you will see what I'm up against. The Makita only has facility for one wrench so I have to go under the table to push the little button in to stop the shaft from spinning when tightening a new bit into the chuck. The musclechuck looked great but they don't make one for this model of Makita Router. In retrospect I almost wish I had put my big Hitachi in the table instead of the Makita. I guess I could build another aluminum base plate. Anyway thanks for your help. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0101.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	961.0 KB
ID:	1321053 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0100.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	1321054 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0099.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	838.4 KB
ID:	1321055
          Troglodyte likes this.

Comment

I have a Freud FT3000VCE router in my table. It has a socket in the base that allows it to be raised and lowered from the top, and another socket that stops the collet from turning. I just had to drill the appropriate holes in the base plate. They don't make this router any more, I believe it is same as what is now Felisatti.
            Not suggesting you go out and buy one, but there are other more popular brands with similar lift capability.
            Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Musclechuck does make one for your Makita. Found it in the Compatability chart.

https://www.musclechuck.com/portfolio-view/type-4/

Pete

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like the Musclechuck doesn't raise the height, just provide the convenience of using an allen wrench rather than an open ended one (or two).

Comment

True but a long ball end Allen wrench should be able to open the chuck it it is fully raised. If not reaching it from below the table is still easier than regular wrenches.

Pete

Comment

Hi QC Inspector; That's interesting because I could not find it so I emailed Musclechuck and they said they did not make one for the Makita 3612 BR but there it is as you have pointed out. THANKS! I will get back to them to confirm. I was surprised at their negative reply because the 3612 seems to be a popular and common old router. Thanks for your help & Cheers; Twogone
                    Last edited by twogone; 03-09-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Hi Kayak Jim; If I can get a Musclechuck that will work. At this point in time, being a newbee I don't really need an extension. As you can see in the 3rd photo, the Router Raizer brings the chuck right up to the top (bottom?) of the base plate. I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill because for the number of times I change bits, it's not really a hardship to open the door, reach under and push that little button while turning a 15/16th wrench above the table. Maybe when I'm commandeered to rebuild the kitchen cupboards I will appreciate above the table bit changing. Thanks for your help & Cheers; Twogone

Comment

I had a plate similar to that I just took it out router and all to change bits.
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                        CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
                        1) A person who solves problems you can't.
                        2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

Consider fashioning a pry bar that can be used from the top to depress the lock button. On mine I’m able to do it with a screwdriver.
                          Egon
                          from
                          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                            I had a plate similar to that I just took it out router and all to change bits.
                            Before I happened across my BenchDog lift I too just pulled the router with plate out to change bits. Was almost too easy!!
                            Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X