Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Bandsaws...

Hey Folks,

With the help Leo and other folks over in the Lathe forum we bought my Daughter a Lathe back around Christmas time. We have both been using it a lot but it has spurred a bit of a wood working bug. Since the lathe I have bought a few more tools and converted the garage over to more of a workshop. The wife is not happy that she is parking out doors but my 15 year old daughter is loving it :-)

Anyways.. For the Lathe I have been cutting down blanks with my chainsaw. This works but its not very precise. I would like to add a Bandsaw to the mix. I did buy a small table top craftsman but ended up selling it as it was to small to be useful for the lathe. Just looking for some thoughts on what to look for for making blanks.

I have been trolling Kijiji looking for a deal but have not found one that jumped out at me yet. Well there has been a few but at a couple hours drive I have passed. I do have my eyes on one right now if anyone wants to provide some thoughts. Its not on Kijiji right now but through a friend of a friend.
    Its a Delta 28-190C 12" saw. They are asking $450 which seems a little high. With Covid pricing in effect maybe not though. Thoughts on this saw vs waiting for something a little bigger?

A couple of our creations...

Thanks,

Mike and Mackenzie

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-03 14.15.29.jpg Views:	18 Size:	482.4 KB ID:	1326175 Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-12 13.34.34.jpg Views:	19 Size:	264.1 KB ID:	1326176
    Last edited by bedpan; 04-12-2021, 02:32 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Looking at Bandsaws...

No advice on a band saw, I'm in the market for one as well.
    That said, and a bit off topic...

Our screen-obsessed society needs more makers/artisans/tradespeople, and even more desperately, drastically more balance in these fields/professions.
    Kudos for feeding the inspiration of the next generation and allowing them involved, especially a young lady.

Even more off topic, what species of wood is that?

Comment

Always good getting the next generation interested in hobbies like woodworking.

As for a band saw I would recommend if buying used a 14 inch Delta or Delta clone as there fairly common and much easier finding parts. The one area you need to consider is the max height from the table to the bottom of the top guide. That sets the limit of how thick a piece you can cut, there are riser blocks available for some saws that will add about 6 inches extra height.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Peasant,
        She is a super well rounded kid. She is getting straight A's in French Immersion and starts in the International Baccalaureate next year. She is very much into the Shop classes though and her education path severely limits her ability to take many. So the wife and I have committed to trying to give her opportunities at home to explore that creative side. Its not cheap though.

Regarding the wood. The cup she made is a glued up blank donated to us from Busy Bee in Pickering. It was suppose to be for a pepper mill kit I believe.

The weird bowl/flower pot thing is mystery wood. There was an ad on facebook for free wood in town. Se we drove down and grabbed some logs. This is the first piece I have turned out of it. I would love to figure out what it is!

So extra internet Karma points if someone can help. Let me know and I can post com more pics of the end grain and bark.

Mike

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
        No advice on a band saw, I'm in the market for one as well.
        That said, and a bit off topic...
        Our screen-obsessed society needs more makers/artisans/tradespeople, and even more desperately, drastically more balance in these fields/professions.
        Kudos for feeding the inspiration of the next generation and allowing them involved, especially a young lady.
        Even more off topic, what species of wood is that?

Comment

Thanks Paul,

Shes a good kid and very creative..

I have been watching Kijiji and have not seen much lately. What in your guess would a used Delta 14" be worth?

Mike

Originally posted by Paul Smith View Post
          Always good getting the next generation interested in hobbies like woodworking.

As for a band saw I would recommend if buying used a 14 inch Delta or Delta clone as there fairly common and much easier finding parts. The one area you need to consider is the max height from the table to the bottom of the top guide. That sets the limit of how thick a piece you can cut, there are riser blocks available for some saws that will add about 6 inches extra height.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Working in the shop with our children (and grandchildren) is both fun and a privilege.

My take on the bandsaw: as you stated, COVID has changed the dynamics on multiple fronts; prices for almost any commodity or service included. If you are not too limited in terms of cash my suggestion would be to not pay too much attention to whether the saw costs 450$ or 300$. I would first focus on the condition and quality of the tool. Assuming both parameters are positive, go for it. In 3 years you will not remember how much you paid but will enjoy the results that your daughter and yourself have achieved. This, in my book, is worth a lot. 😎
            Last edited by Jacques Gagnon; 04-12-2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post
              The weird bowl/flower pot thing is mystery wood. There was an ad on facebook for free wood in town. Se we drove down and grabbed some logs. This is the first piece I have turned out of it. I would love to figure out what it is!
              I've seen fruit trees with mottled wood like that, but never so much contrast.
              The only thing that came to mind was some kind of walnut burl.

Comment

Very good point Jacques! I guess its not so much about the $$'s of it all but is the Delta 28-190C a decent saw for our use case. Mainly for making blanks. Maybe down the road a little re-sawing for cutting boards and the like.

I don't mind spending the $450 once, but I don't want to spend it twice to find out its not up to task.

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
                Thanks for sharing. Working in the shop with our children (and grandchildren) is both fun and a privilege.

My take on the bandsaw: as you stated, COVID has changed the dynamics on multiple fronts; prices for almost any commodity or service included. If you are not too limited in terms of cash my suggestion would be to not pay too much attention to whether the saw costs 450$ or 300$. I would first focus on the condition and quality of the tool. Assuming both parameters are positive, go for it. In 3 years you will not remember how much you paid but will enjoy the results that your daughter and yourself have achieved. This, in my book, is worth a lot. 😎

Comment

I will get some pictures of it.. I am just starting to learn the different types of wood. It is something I never learned growing up. My guess was black walnut, but that was just a wild guess.

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
                  I've seen fruit trees with mottled wood like that, but never so much contrast.
                  The only thing that came to mind was some kind of walnut burl.

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post

I don't mind spending the $450 once, but I don't want to spend it twice to find out its not up to task.
                    I am a firm believer in buying good quality as much as possible. Not only does one only pay once but the tool is often more enjoyable to use. That being said, people rarely have unlimited resources and choices have to be made balancing various needs and priorities.

My son bought a used Delta bandsaw (sorry - I do not know the model number) and he is satisfied with the results, given the capacity of the tool.

Comment

Here's a 14" Delta for $495 at Ford Machinery in Toronto was listed at $695, to give a idea of pricing from a used equipment reseller. They've been in business for quite a while and I believe there honest to deal with.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/m...saw/1425202574

You could post in the Swap Meet section of this forum that your looking for a band saw.

I buy my blades at R & D Bandsaws and they have always been quick to ship my order out.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul!

I did see this Kijiji ad but missed the price reduction. It is a little more then I hoped to spend buy not well out of the price range. We are not desperate to buy one and if it takes a couple of months that's ok.

Thoughts on this saw and price or Wait for new or cheaper saw?

Thanks!

Mike

Originally posted by Paul Smith View Post
                        Here's a 14" Delta for $495 at Ford Machinery in Toronto was listed at $695, to give a idea of pricing from a used equipment reseller. They've been in business for quite a while and I believe there honest to deal with.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/m...saw/1425202574

You could post in the Swap Meet section of this forum that your looking for a band saw.

I buy my blades at R & D Bandsaws and they have always been quick to ship my order out.

Paul

Comment

Leo filed a guess in the Turner's forum that the wood from the "vase" is hickory.

Heres a couple more photos Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210412_205559508.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	1326235 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210412_205557311.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	5.06 MB
ID:	1326236 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210412_205602016.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	6.31 MB
ID:	1326237 ​​

Comment

buy a used delta 14 inch a 28-200 model number .this model number represents a 70s or 80 version
                            other models different stands etc... 28-245 and more

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/c...saw/1560806644

Comment

Thanks Sawman..

I saw that ad. I did chat with the guy (super nice). Its a 6 hour round trip for me though. He maybe coming to the GTA in a week or so. So I may meet up if its not sold, or I have not found something else. It still seems a bit rich and man it will take up a lot of room with those large Fence guides on! We will see. I will keep watching in the mean time.

Cheers,

Mike

I should ad.. I was trying to find some reference to help me understand the 28-2xx models, differences, age etc. There is reference to a Iturra Design 2010 Catalog that was posted on Dropbox. All the links appear to be dead though.

If anyone has it or something similiar or better I would love to have a read.

Originally posted by ytsawman View Post
                              buy a used delta 14 inch a 28-200 model number .this model number represents a 70s or 80 version
                              other models different stands etc... 28-245 and more

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/c...saw/1560806644

Comment

Working...
                              X