What the heck is this? Router sled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is this? Router sled?

I bought some tools off a lady whose husband had died and she threw in the contraption in the pictures below. It kind of looks like a router sled, but I don't really think it is and I've never seen one with gears and a hand crank. There's also no obvious way to attach a router, but she did sell a couple routers before I got there. So maybe there was a base plate or something attached to one of them.

I thought maybe a router attachment for a wood lathe, but I'm not sure about that either.

Any idea what this is?Click image for larger version

Name:	image_152842.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	1337231 ​​​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20210720_135412.jpg Views:	7 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	1337229 Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20210720_135456.jpg Views:	8 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	1337230
    Last edited by streetcore; 07-20-2021, 01:44 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What the heck is this? Router sled?

I think it is for flattening slabs.

Pete

Comment

Looks like a router crafter type machine. You will mount a spindle between centers. The split nut portion drives the router platform along the length of the device and the gears at the end control how many revolutions the spindle makes as you crank the handle. It will put spirals or twists onto spindles depending on which router bit you use.

Kind of like this Sears Router Crafter... https://youtu.be/j2jY6D7U_oc
      What?

Comment

Originally posted by aliensurfer View Post
        Looks like a router crafter type machine. You will mount a spindle between centers. The split nut portion drives the router platform along the length of the device and the gears at the end control how many revolutions the spindle makes as you crank the handle. It will put spirals or twists onto spindles depending on which router bit you use.

Kind of like this Sears Router Crafter... https://youtu.be/j2jY6D7U_oc
        That must be it. I was looking the gears and one of the red ones fits on the center portion where you would mount a spindle so that part rotates while the router moves.

Anone know who made this? It would be nice to find a picture or a manual to see how the router attached. It's pretty heavy duty compared to the one Sears made.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20210720_151419.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1337235 Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20210720_151439.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	1337236
        Last edited by streetcore; 07-20-2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Looks like an older Legacy Ornamental Mill. Nice get.

Comment

I sit corrected. Should have looked a little more closely especially since I have one of the Sears ones in post 3.

Pete

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Greg_Hansen61 View Post
              Looks like an older Legacy Ornamental Mill. Nice get.
              That looks like it! I found the Ornamental Mills history page and this one looks like a model 500 circa 1997. Unfortunately, the picture on their site isn't very good and I'm still not sure how the router is attached.

https://ornamentalmills.com/history/index.html

Comment

I remember the person selling this machine, he had it set up at the London Wood show, he was trying to get me interested as I was looking the machine over, it could do the spirals but also grooves, though I don't remember how the router was held on it, sorry I can't be of any help, I hope you have some paperwork with it, maybe the lady does still have it.

You would be able to figure this out but would be much easier if you had some instructions to show you.

There has to be a plate/base that can be adjusted accurately where the router is held on, so it has to have threaded spindle and scales to do this, maybe going back to see if there is still this piece, though it might still have been on the routers that were sold already ??

The next model is more like it, it shows the router on it and a cranking setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	router sled.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1337267
                Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 07-20-2021, 10:29 PM.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                X