New (to me) General 350 Table Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New (to me) General 350 Table Saw

Anybody out there with a Bessy, mind checking the gap between the vertical leg of the front 3" x 3" angle (ie front rail) and the 3" x 2" guide tube that the tee section rides on. Looks like about 3/4" should work, same as the Delta T2. Since I'm using all new tube and angles I need drill new holes.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Bit of an update and a question. My electrician installed the 240V outlet yesterday so I can run the saw. Bought new angle iron and steel tube to replace what came with the fence, got them painted, drilled and installed. Rescued some what looks like Poplar shipping lumber which cleaned up measures 2 1/4" square for the mobile base, glued it up with two 1/2" dowels per joint (will be further reinforcing the joints as shown in the third photo). Now the question, bought five 4" casters from Lee Valley (110kg or 220 lb capacity each), trying to decide on the arrangement (and whether I need the fifth caster). The two arrangements are shown in the first two photos, the base is upside down and the blueberry box is where the saw will be supported on 3" x 3" angle iron thru bolted to the wood. The first locates the casters closest to the main weight (the saw) and the second photo locates the casters at opposite ends. The caster in the bag is the one I'm not sure if I need. Any opinions on which arrangement is better or whether the fifth caster is needed? The saw weighs around 450 lb plus say 200 lb for fence, router blade storage etc. The third photo shows how the joints will be reinforced with a second 2x2, in this photo the base is right side up. Last photo shows the fence installed with the new rails.
      WCraig and ErikM like this.

Comment

Four casters is more than sufficient. Your saw looks outstanding, enjoy!
        Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Thanks Eric, bought the fifth caster on spec since Lee Valley offers lower price for four plus and returning one is easy. I agree it probably isn't required.
          ErikM likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
            Anybody out there with a Bessy, mind checking the gap between the vertical leg of the front 3" x 3" angle (ie front rail) and the 3" x 2" guide tube that the tee section rides on. Looks like about 3/4" should work, same as the Delta T2. Since I'm using all new tube and angles I need drill new holes.
            Just saw this now , you still need the dimension ?
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post

Just saw this now , you still need the dimension ?
              Thanks Rick, I found the 3/4" dimension works. Fence is installed working on the mobile base.

Comment

Lately my shop has been more metal working than woodworking as I fabricated new rails for my Biesemeyer fence and brackets for my mobile base. I'll post details of the base soon but I thought I'd share a tip. Can't recall where I saw it but just tried it yesterday and it works great. When drilling steel, put a magnet in a plastic bag and place near the hole being drilled. It will catch some of the metal shavings as you drill, then sweep the area with the magnet in the bag to collect the rest. Then hold the bag over your garbage can and pull out the magnet. Like magic all the shavings drop into the can. Put the magnet back in and you're ready for the next hole. I'm sure many, maybe most of you, have seen this trick before but there has to be at least one of you who haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Base1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	1344484 Click image for larger version

Name:	base2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	1344486 Here's the mobile base ready for installation. Other than the 4" casters bought from Lee Valley and nuts, bolts and washers from BC Fasteners, it was all free. The wood frame members are 2 1/4" x 2 1/4", which appears to be Poplar, and was salvaged from shipping material in a nearby industrial area. The tee shaped steel reinforcements for the joints was cut up from my dust collector mobile base which I scrapped when I reconfigured the dust collector. The angle iron which will support the saw itself was salvaged from the fence rails angles which came with the saw and were too short. I've incorporated an 4" x 4" opening in the bottom for dust collection to avoid having to cut a hole in the cabinet itself.
                  I'll wait until Thanksgiving for the install, my two nephews and one brother in law will have to earn their turkey dinner lifting it into place.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Doug G; 10-07-2021, 08:16 PM.
                  Leo Van Der Loo likes this.

Comment

Hit a bit of a roadblock. Don't know if it was properly aligned before but after moving my saw, the blade was out of alignment by 0.033" front to back. Followed the procedure to adjust it. Loosened all but one bolt and hit the top with hammer and block of wood. Got it to 0.020" but no further. Tried loosening the fourth bolt, still no joy. Tried tightening a different bolt thinking the top might have maxed out the slot clearance with the back right bolt tight. Still no joy. Thought maybe saw was shifting on the base rather than the top shifting on the cabinet so I wedged the cabinet in the base (I need more work on the base but that's a separate issue), still no joy. Thought top was seized to cabinet with rust as the saw has sat for years so I loosened all the bolts. Sprayed WD40 around the top of the cabinet and tapped the top up with the hammer and block, still no joy. Other than applying more force and I'm giving it a good whack with a heavy hammer, not sure what to do next. Here's a picture of my measuring jig which holds the micrometer in the miter gage slot. Any suggestions?
                    I also checked it with just an adjustable square and confirmed it is out.
                    Last edited by Doug G; 10-13-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

It was out 33 thou and I have it down to 17 thou. I blew out the slots with air on the three loose bolts, put a pipe clamp on the table across the back and used that plus the fence rail to twist it the direction it has to go, still can't get it down to something acceptable (around 5 thou). Working on my own so removing the table isn't going to happen until I can get some help. I might twist it back the other way just to see how far it will go then jack the top up so I can make sure the slots are clear and maybe file them to get the extra 12 to 17 thou I need. Still open to suggestions.

Comment

Hi Doug, I'd give it a few tests cuts as is, you might find it doesn't matter.
                        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Yeah Brent, probably worth a try before I get too carried away. But I think 17 thou is too much, not sure what is stopping the top from moving other than maybe the trunnion mounts are off too much for the adjusting slots in the table top to accommodate.

Comment

Now is the time to do it for sure. If you're lucky it's just some sawdust stuck in a mounting hole not giving you room to adjust. I noticed it's toed away from the fence at the back at least, which some people prefer. Good luck, watch the back!
                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Try removing a bolt or two to see if you can figure out which one is binding, you would then know which hole needs widening. Also, do you have another sawblade to compare with as the existing blade may have some variation?
                              Last edited by ErikM; 10-13-2021, 11:28 PM.
                              Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

There is one bolt, front right, that is binding, the other three turn with little effort once loosened. I'll try removing it. I've tried two different blades but I'm now checking against a spot marked on the blade body near the perimeter rather than a tooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X