Table saw struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw struggling

I have an old beaver 3200 table saw that I have used for a bunch of projects including making cabinets, shaker style doors and drawers, all of which used an 8-inch dado stack in different configurations. When making wide dado cuts I had to make a couple of passes so the saw didn’t have to remove too much material otherwise the switch on the saw would “trip”. Not ideal but I made it work.

After a break over the summer I got started making some shaker style drawer fronts this evening and the saw was struggling to cut 1/4” wide, 3/4” deep dados in 10” long poplar boards without the switch “tripping”. I don’t remember it being this bad before.

Are there some basic things I can check/clean to troubleshoot and hopefully improve this, or is it likely I just need to find a replacement motor?

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table saw struggling

You didnt mention the motor . Size , age, condition? What switch is on it ?
    My dad had the same saw and with a good motor it will do anything you need.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

1) Thermal switches can wear out and start tripping at lower and lower amperages, especially if they've tripped a bunch of times.
      2) Sounds like a lot of work done by that blade, is it still sharp?
      3) If you're using an extension cord, especially a long one, ensure it's of sufficient gauge (to avoid a voltage drop).

Comment

Yes please be more specific what type of switch and what size motor. Usually any kind of machinery should have at least a motor rated switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The motor is a 1/2hp Hoover, 1725rpm, not sure how to judge it’s condition. The switch is a General Electric motor starting switch. Pics of both attached. No extension cord being used. When I got down to take a photo of the switch I did notice some of the wiring outer sheathing is starting to separate so I will clean that up but I don’t think it’s causing the issue.

Comment

You're asking a whole lot from that motor. 1/2HP is really small for a table saw, especially with a dado stack.
            WCraig and ThePracticalPeasant like this.

Comment

Drzaius is right, you are asking to much for this motor depending on the deept and with of the cut. Also try to keep your cutter as sharp as possible, dull cutter do not work right also.
              smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
                2) Sounds like a lot of work done by that blade, is it still sharp?
                BING, BING, BING!!

Typically, electric motors either work--or the magic smoke coming pouring out! I would bet the dado stack is either getting dull or fouled with pitch.

Is there some reason you're using a massive 8 inch stack versus a much-lighter 6 inch set?

Craig

Comment

Motor is definitely undersized
                  Tired overload in your switch could be reason for tripping
                  Could also mean that motor struggles due to fast feed rate/dull blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A little OT, but notice how high the current rating is for that 1/2HP motor; 8.2A. That would be a function of low efficiency and/or poor power factor. A good quality modern motor of that size would probably be half that current draw.

Comment

The good news is that the thermal overload protection is working, the bad news is that your motor is too small for a tablesaw.

Try looking for a used 1HP motor.................Rod.
                      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

My Beaver 3200 saw has a 1.5 HP Motor. I'm not sure it has thermal protection but I have tripped the breaker a few times when making big cuts. Likely cuts that were not well suited for the saw in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                          A little OT, but notice how high the current rating is for that 1/2HP motor; 8.2A. That would be a function of low efficiency and/or poor power factor. A good quality modern motor of that size would probably be half that current draw.
                          It is likely the HP rating is very conservative. This motor may well outperform a new 3/4hp, but even that would be way too small for a table saw, especially with carbide tipped blades that are never as sharp as a steel tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by burlingj77 View Post
                            My Beaver 3200 saw has a 1.5 HP Motor. I'm not sure it has thermal protection but I have tripped the breaker a few times when making big cuts. Likely cuts that were not well suited for the saw in the first place.
                            If you're tripping the cct breaker before the thermal OL, then you likely have an undersized circuit. The ampacity of the wire must be at least 125% of the motor FLA and voltage drop must be limited to 3% at full load. If the breaker trips on startup, then the circuit breaker can be up to 250% of the motor FLA. That is unlikely to happen with a table saw though

Comment

Agree with all of the above. However, one possible reason you feel your saw is not cutting as well as it did previously may be due to the type of cut you are attempting. It sounds like you are cutting a "groove" rather than a "dado". "Grooves" are cuts parallel to the grain while "dadoes" are cross grain. Dado blades are designed as crosscut blades, not ripping blades, and your saw with dado blades will have a tougher time cutting a groove than a dado of the same size. You are essentially equipping your saw with a 1/4 inch kerf crosscut blade to rip 3/4 inch thick stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X