Jointer electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer electrical question

I may be buying an old 12” jointer. It was passed down to a son who never used it. It looks like it has a dryer plug on it? And no switch. The owner thinks his dad had it wired to a switch on the wall. My questions are. Can I cut the plug end off and wire on a regular 240 v plug so I can see if it runs ok? Is it safe to use just plugging it in every time until I get a switch for it. Thanks.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Jointer electrical question

I would ensure that the voltage and amperage is compatible with your wiring in your shop,purchase the appropriate magnetic starter switch,wire it correctly and take it from there

Comment

I just want to make sure it works before purchasing. The hope is to have it brought to my garage, quickly wire in a 240 plug and try it. If it works we will finish the transaction and then I will definitely have a proper switch put on.

Comment

The basic answer is ..... yes. However, it would be wise to make sure that the outlet you plug into is rated to handle the jointer. Also, if you don't have a switch for the outlet, you can always use the breaker as a once or twice switch to do the test.

Comment

John is correct,once you have established the power source is compatible ( voltage,phase,amperage) plug it in with the breaker off,and use the breaker as a switch.
          12” jointer is awesome,and if need be, electrical can be replaced,use the lack of a starter as bartering point,and good luck,let us know how you make out

Comment

Ok. I think I’m good. Currently have two circuits running on red wires to 20 amp breakers. The plate on this motor says 230v 14 amp. Good plan using the breaker as the switch. Any idea on why someone would put a dryer plug on this?

Comment

Originally posted by wbrent View Post
              Ok. I think I’m good. Currently have two circuits running on red wires to 20 amp breakers. The plate on this motor says 230v 14 amp. Good plan using the breaker as the switch. Any idea on why someone would put a dryer plug on this?
              So they could connect it to an existing outlet.
              As long as the outlet supplies at least the amperage required by the load, there'll be no issues.

Contrary to popular belief, the breaker is there to protect the wiring in the wall as much as anything else, there's nothing wrong with connecting a load smaller than the rating of the receptacle.
              WCraig likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrent View Post
                I have read a few threads in which people explained they had used the clothes dryer circuit as the power source for their woodworking machines. A switch allowed to go from dryer to machine (either one, not both at the same time).

Regards,

J.

Comment

Make sure everything is sized to the actual horsepower requirements. Motors have two amperage numbers to consider. The full load amperage or FLA is on the name plate. The inrush or locked rotor current is current required when starting.
                  I have a 5HP baldor on my bandsaw that is FLA is 20.6 the starting current is 134.2 a.
                  I have 5HP Leeson on my cyclone that is FLA 20.8, the starting current is 107 a.
                  I have a 3 HP baldor spare that is FLA 16, the starting current is 107 a.
                  Both the motor starter and the breaker have to be sized to accommodate the starting load.
                  Don

Comment

Heres what I ended up with.Think i'll make it a winter project to strip it down and clean it . I'll cut the plug off this weekend and try it out.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1342755 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1342756 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1342757 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1342758

Comment

I don't see an actual question. So I will just say that you need a 20 amp 240 volt circuit to run the motor.

Comment

Got it running. All seems well so I’ll go ahead and order a proper switch.

Comment

Working...
                        X