• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laguna CFlux1 1.5hp cyclone assembly

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210919_200658728.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1342562 This is fairly large unit as can be expected and was delivered in a cardboard box that was strapped to pallet. cardboard box does not actually have bottom and sides are stapled to the pallet and two straps loop over the box and under the pallet to hold everything together. after cutting off the straps and tape on the top flaps of the box, you are greeted with parts neatly packaged in top styrofoam.

Included here is plastic bag containing instruction manual and remote fob

Name:	PXL_20210919_200929117.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1,002.2 KB
ID:	1342563

Tube of silicone caulk. I think it's used to put together and seal the drum that holds large chips

Name:	PXL_20210919_200932435.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1342564

I laid all the parts from top of the styrofoam carefully on top of my tablesaw which received cleaning just for this auspicious occasion.

Name:	PXL_20210919_205138563.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1342565

Top styrofoam is taped to some styrofoam side panels using packing tape. Cardboard box contains plywood braces in each corner to prevent damage in transit. I lifted them out from each corner and cut one side of cardboard box using box cutters. lifted the top styrofoam up only to hear a thud. control unit is tightly packed in the underside of styrofoam. Oh Oh well... atleast it didn't fall on the floor. it is wired to the motor and other end just has dangling ends without a plug. apparently you need to provide your own plug. I guess I am making a trip to home depot tomorrow. Removing styrofoam will reward you with first glimpse of the unit. there are few additional boxes and parts packed between filter assembly and cone assembly on other side.

Name:	PXL_20210919_205929252.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1342566

Like parts for the chip collection drum.

Name:	PXL_20210919_210122215.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	1342567

Alrighty.. time to read the manual to see how this thing goes together...

Name:	PXL_20210919_212438038.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	1342568

Apparently I need to flip top piece of styrofoam upsode down and then lift the unit out and place it upside down on styrofoam... I guess that's all the assembly I can manage today since I am going to need some muscle power to lift that thing out and my son is busy today :(

MG likes this.
    Posted from my BBC Micro
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Laguna CFlux1 1.5hp cyclone assembly

Control box is hanging on to cyclone by a short lead. so before flipping whole assembly upside down, I decided to remove the box and set it aside. took pictures of the connections so I don't mess up later.

Name:	PXL_20210926_171236368.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1343932

Then with my son's help and under my wife's watchful eye we flipped the whole assembly upside down on styrofoam.

Name:	PXL_20210926_172759122.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1343933

Once that was done, I took the bottom bracket off the assembly and set it aside. Screws that you remove during this process get used during next steps. Manual does not make that clear. As a result I made a trip to lowes and got necessary screws. Oh well...I opened the parts box. inside all plastic bags are labeled clearly. Overall manual is good with couple of caveats.

Name:	PXL_20210926_174117877.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1343934

Once you complete this part of assembly you will be ready to flip the unit back in upright position.

Name:	PXL_20210926_193837442.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1343935

Back to asking son for help again. Flipping the unit right side up was much harder than before due to added height as well as casters. But we managed it with minimal amount of cussing.

Name:	PXL_20210926_200727533.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1343936

I unfortunately forgot to take pictures during assembly of drum and drum insert. Drum insert is basically a perforated cylinder without top or bottom that is just slightly smaller diameter than drum. it sits inside the bag and weighs it down so that bag stays in place inside the drum. drum assembly involved few beers, lots of cussing and fiddling with tiny screws. after that you need to snap in the supplied rubber gasket so that drum can sit tightly against lid.

Name:	PXL_20211002_190228772.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1343937
    Manual omits couple of steps and as a result you may end up with extra parts which ca be bit concerning. However after watching youtube video of assembly of 2hp unit, I was able to return the excess parts to their correct places. And here is the unit finally finished. and in it's place.

Name:	PXL_20211002_205327926.jpg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1343938

--Rajiv
    Wally in Calgary likes this.
    Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

Hey Rajiv
      Looks pretty good.
      Have you tried it yet?
      How much suction?
      How noisy?
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
        Hey Rajiv
        Looks pretty good.
        Have you tried it yet?
        How much suction?
        How noisy?
        I have actually. Noise level-wise it registers same as my old craftsman shopvac at around 80db. suction is pretty impressive. I usually used to end my day by shaking off wood chips from inside my shoes where they would fall and would need to take shower to get rid of all the dust on me. absolutely nothing today. I am using rockler lathe dust collection system that is mostly for small turnings like pens ( which is what I do mostly anyways ).

Name:	PXL_20211003_163931018.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1344017

It is pretty decent at catching 90% of the chips. it struggles in early stage of turning where I am making square blank round. but I suspect I would need to play around with angle of the dust hood and find optimal position to catch most of the chips.

--Rajiv
        Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

Nice
          my advice,to maximize performance,orient the dust collector so the intake is parallel to your first drop, advoid 90 degree elbows.Use long sweep 45’s,and two long sweep 45’s instead of 90’s if you can.Don’t reduce the mains dia until the machine where possiable,and most importantly,avoid the flex pipe,it robs you,use solid pipe in straight runs as much as possible.
          get rid of that flex!
          Last edited by al.m..; 10-03-2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
            Nice
            my advice,to maximize performance,orient the dust collector so the intake is parallel to your first drop, advoid 90 degree elbows.Use long sweep 45’s,and two long sweep 45’s instead of 90’s if you can.Don’t reduce the mains dia until the machine where possiable,and most importantly,avoid the flex pipe,it robs you,use solid pipe in straight runs as much as possible.
            get rid of that flex!
            AL some of what you recommend is correct and I agree with. The part about the 90 and 45 degree elbows is not quite right. If you look at page 54 of the Loren Engineering Cookbook you will see that a 45 degree elbow (1e) will be equal to 15 feet of straight pipe so a pair is 30 feet plus the short straight bit between, say another foot for a total of 31 feet. A 90 degree elbow (1a) with a radius of 1 or bigger has a lower loss of 25 feet or less than the pair of elbows. If one can't find longer radius 90 degree elbows then yes to the pair of 45s. Using 45s has been repeated so often that it has become one of those "dust collection facts" that isn't always true. http://www.lorencook.com/PDFs/Catalo...ok_Catalog.pdf

Rajiv a 4" duct flows about 400 CFM give or take, a 5" about 800CFM and a 6" about 1,200 CFM. You will get a much better improvement by taking off that Y at the cyclone and running a short but bigger duct to your lathe. The Y, even with both ports open, creates turbulence that reduces the separation efficiency of the cyclone too. ClearVue recommends when possible having 5 feet of straight duct before the cyclone for that reason.

One of the best duct inlets is a bell mouth hood. You can turn one on the lathe. Here is a Youtube link to one. Note it is a 6" connected to a 4 bagger DC with an larger motor, 4hp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtHCmR-N3M

Pete

I just noticed you have an older Nova 3000 lathe. I have the same one right down to the older style square bed and outboard rest. Good lathe.
            Last edited by QC Inspector; 10-03-2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post

AL some of what you recommend is correct and I agree with. The part about the 90 and 45 degree elbows is not quite right. If you look at page 54 of the Loren Engineering Cookbook you will see that a 45 degree elbow (1e) will be equal to 15 feet of straight pipe so a pair is 30 feet plus the short straight bit between, say another foot for a total of 31 feet. A 90 degree elbow (1a) with a radius of 1 or bigger has a lower loss of 25 feet or less than the pair of elbows. If one can't find longer radius 90 degree elbows then yes to the pair of 45s. Using 45s has been repeated so often that it has become one of those "dust collection facts" that isn't always true. http://www.lorencook.com/PDFs/Catalo...ok_Catalog.pdf

Rajiv a 4" duct flows about 400 CFM give or take, a 5" about 800CFM and a 6" about 1,200 CFM. You will get a much better improvement by taking off that Y at the cyclone and running a short but bigger duct to your lathe. The Y, even with both ports open, creates turbulence that reduces the separation efficiency of the cyclone too. ClearVue
              i when possible having 5 feet of straight duct before the cyclone for that reason.

One of the best duct inlets is a bell mouth hood. You can turn one on the lathe. Here is a Youtube link to one. Note it is a 6" connected to a 4 bagger DC with an larger motor, 4hp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtHCmR-N3M

Pete

I just noticed you have an older Nova 3000 lathe. I have the same one right down to the older style square bed and outboard rest. Good lathe.
              note I did say long sweep 45’s
              i should have specifically said over the common tight 90’s
              tee wys,anouther point,yes tee wys not the common tee,a correctly oriented tee wye is the way to go
              most importantly,avoid long runs of flex,in the above picture,the original poster shows his intake facing 90 degrees from hopes lathe with a ridiculous length of flex pipe leading to the collection hood.
              want to argue with that ,go ahead,no worries,I’m done.
              just trying to help,not argue for the sake of argument
              Last edited by al.m..; 10-03-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I am aware of all the facts and recommendations re: flex pipes, 6" vs 4" etc. One thing at a time
                I literally just graduated from shopvac. I will be getting to rest of the things one by one as time permits between my day job and actually making product to sell. For now, I may even move the cyclone from machine to machine if necessary. It is on wheels and is actually quite easy to move around. As I work on organizing my tools, machines will change places. once I have decided on layout that makes sense, I will work on permanent duct work. Until then I will make my peace with long flex hose and all it's shortcomings as it still is hands down better option than my shopvac. Fair?

--Rajiv
                Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

My apologies to both of you. I was only trying to help. Going forward I won't comment on dust collection so it won't happen again.

Pete

Comment

My apologies to both of you. I was only trying to help. Going forward I won't comment on dust collection so it won't happen again.

Pete
                    and my apologies as well,I certainly did not intend to come off the way it appears.
                    Raj is wise to firm up a plan befor spending the big bucks on duct work,I can certainly understand that.
                    we all have opinions,sorry I took your out of context Pete.

Comment

Pete
                      Please don't do that. these back-n-forth arguments are ways for people like me to learn from experienced folks. They do tend to get heated once in a while, but that does not mean they are useless

Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                        and my apologies as well,I certainly did not intend to come off the way it appears.
                        Raj is wise to firm up a plan befor spending the big bucks on duct work,I can certainly understand that.
                        we all have opinions,sorry I took your out of context Pete.

Written words unfortunately do not carry emotions well I do truly appreciate feedback from both of you and will reach out to both of you for advice once I embark on permanent ductwork. Unfortunately that looks like sometime next year given the speed at which I operate
                        Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

Working...
                        X