Is my old saw worth 'saving'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is my old saw worth 'saving'?

That does appear to be an induction motor and given that it's not a totally enclosed design, there's a decent chance that the problem is nothing more than a dirty centrifugal switch. It's not a difficult job to take the motor apart & check it out. If the switch is okay, then the capacitor would be the next suspect in the line up.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
      That does appear to be an induction motor and given that it's not a totally enclosed design, there's a decent chance that the problem is nothing more than a dirty centrifugal switch. It's not a difficult job to take the motor apart & check it out. If the switch is okay, then the capacitor would be the next suspect in the line up.
      Take a look at #82. I couldn't find a description for it, but I wondered if it was the same sort of start relay as is used in some bench grinders (instead of a centrifugal switch). Or .... is it the thermal cutout??

Comment

Looks a lot like the motor in my Rockwell Beaver 35090A which is an induction motor. Good motor, if it's the capacitor or dirty switch well worth repairing.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Take a look at #82. I couldn't find a description for it, but I wondered if it was the same sort of start relay as is used in some bench grinders (instead of a centrifugal switch). Or .... is it the thermal cutout??
          That got me thinking & I found a better parts diagram online. Part 82 is indeed a start relay. It, along with the start capacitor, overload & switch are all housed in the electrical box. That will make it much easier because the motor will not have to be removed or dismantled.
          John Bartley likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by WCraig View Post
            I think that is a universal motor; not an induction motor like all of us were assuming. If it is, it will have brushes and it is possible that they just need to be replaced. Otherwise, it is probably not worth fixing. Sorry.

Craig
            That is not unexpected.
            It has served me well.
            Thanks.
            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
              Well,were you happy with it before the issue,or do you want us to tell you to gat a cabinet saw?
              in that case,don’t do it,get a European slider!
              if that seems to much,and if a capacitor is all your saw needs,replace the capacitor
              No new saw.
              Will have to get at the electrical box.
              Thanks.
              Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "

Comment

That got me thinking & I found a better parts diagram online. Part 82 is indeed a start relay. It, along with the start capacitor, overload & switch are all housed in the electrical box. That will make it much easier because the motor will not have to be removed or dismantled.
                Thanks Frank.
                I'll have to see about that.
                Saturday is the next shot at it at my son's place.
                Noel

"

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                  Looks a lot like the motor in my Rockwell Beaver 35090A which is an induction motor. Good motor, if it's the capacitor or dirty switch well worth repairing.
                  Thanks Doug.
                  Noel

"

Comment

Well done !! I couldn't find that information. Thank you.

Comment

Here's a link to the manual which includes a wiring diagram showing the capacitor. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/3207.pdf

Comment

Well, here are 2 pics of what the inside of the electrical box looks like.
                        What is/are my next step/s?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	saw inside the box 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1348405 Click image for larger version

Name:	saw inside the box 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1348406
                        Thanks, any help is more than appreciated.

Noel

"

Comment

OK
                          Thanks for the help, guys.
                          $19.98 later, and a few minutes and then plug it into the wall, and WHIIIIIIIIIR.
                          At least as good as new.
                          (knock knock)
                          John@Hamilton, WCraig and 2 others like this.
                          Noel

"

Comment

Great and 2 cents cheaper than my prediction.
                            KenL likes this.

Comment

Working...
                            X