Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No ground wire on old 1/4 hp motor?

Hi guys,

I just picked up an old 1/4 horse motor for my lathe. The crazy thing has a toggle switch on it! The plug on it currently is older then me. 2 prongs, no ground. No green wire evident beneath the switch either. I'm obviously going to update the wire and bypass to the toggle switch to the power switch for my lathe.

Should I just loop the ground wire from the lathe switch around one of the screws for the motor cover plate? Should I just not bother to connect it at all (on either end)?

The current wiring set up works (and has worked I assume for 40 years?). I just want to update it without potentially shocking myself down the road in case something goes amiss.

Thanks for any tips,
    Cheers
    Erron.
    ---
    The grain has more direction then me sometimes.

Re: No ground wire on old 1/4 hp motor?

Run the ground to the motor's chassis. While looping it under one of the screws that hold the it together would work, a crimped lug would be nice.
    Mike in Orangeville, ON
    http://ifonlyyouwood.blogspot.com/

SPCHT

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Graham View Post
      Run the ground to the motor's chassis. While looping it under one of the screws that hold the it together would work, a crimped lug would be nice.
      "would be better"
      Don't do anything that you're not prepared to explain to a paramedic

Comment

Thanks Mike. I've got lugs and a crimper and will use them. If you hadn't made that suggestion I probably would have forgotten all about it.

Cheers,
        Erron.
        ---
        The grain has more direction then me sometimes.

Comment

On the end of the motor

Is there not a ground screw? Alot of older motors had a ground screw on the end of the motor. Personally unless your turning some pretty small stuff a 1/4hp is not much power.

Comment

Working...
          X