X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Table Saws: Ridgid 3660 vs. Craftsman Professional

Originally posted by acousticalconsultant View Post
    Oh! That brings up another point that I forgot to mention (maybe this should be in a separate thread?). I'll be wiring a subpanel into the garage, and I was wondering if I should run 220V for the Ridgid 3660. Is there any advantage to doing this (other than saving on wiring due to reducing the amperage in half)?

Pascal
    Although there may not be any real life advantage for this TS, having 220 circuits available for use in your shop is worthwhile. As you add equipment, it gives you more choices because you aren't constrained to 110.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rick Thom View Post
      Although there may not be any real life advantage for this TS, having 220 circuits available for use in your shop is worthwhile. As you add equipment, it gives you more choices because you aren't constrained to 110.
      I tend to agree with that statement. I have one 220 for my DC and one for a heater, but wish I installed a third one for other machinery. Sortof constrained my TS decision to a 1.75 HP motor instead of spending an extra $150 on the 3HP motor .

Comment

i never converted my 3650 to 220, it runs fine on 110, and ive sawn maple and oak over 2 inches thick with no signs of distress

be prepared to buy a decent blade real soon, the supplied one is still in the bottom of my junk drawer in the freud package
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
          I did run a sub to the shop using 6/3 for a 60A panel from my 100A main for the house.
          Thanks again to everyone for all the great comments. I am so pleased with the quick and abundant answers.

Lost in the Woods: that's exactly what I plan on running to my garage. I.e. a 60A sub-panel from my 100A main panel. The walls are open, so I have to plan carefully and place enough receptacles, both 110 and 220V to make things versatile. Then I want to put up drywall to try to keep it a little warmer in there (I live in Calgary). I'll probably have to get a heater of some sort before next winter. I'm looking into radiant heating as it seems to be the most cost-effective, and efficient.

Pascal

Comment

They are not in the same catagory.
            The Sear's "profesional" is not as acurate, its limited use, its got no standard T-track, and its noisy. The router table extention doesn't really add any value, and you are better off getting/building a dedicated router table anyways.

If I actually did more real woodworking, I'll pick up the Ridgid 36x0. That thing is well built, cast iron table, and solid as a rock. The sears one is mostly plastic, the Ridgid is cast iron. The Sears got a noisy universal motor that will soon burn out, the Ridgid's got a long lasting and not as noisy induction motor that would last much much longer. When it comes to table saw, weight matters, the more the better.

Its like asking someone, should I get a Hyundai Accent or a Mack Truck? Of course, if you want portability, and be able to load it on the back of your pickup truck to go from site to site, the Craftsman portable "Pro" would be ok. Although, in that catagory, there are still much better alternatives. But for a home shop, the Ridgid's already got a wheel system to roll it from A to B easily.

Enjoy your Ridgid, and rest assured, you made the smarter decision that you won't regret.
            Last edited by JoeBoxer; 03-01-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBoxer View Post
              They are not in the same catagory.
              The Sear's "profesional" is not as acurate, its limited use, its got no standard T-track, and its noisy. The router table extention doesn't really add any value, and you are better off getting/building a dedicated router table anyways.

If I actually did more real woodworking, I'll pick up the Ridgid 36x0. That thing is well built, cast iron table, and solid as a rock. The sears one is mostly plastic, the Ridgid is cast iron. The Sears got a noisy universal motor that will soon burn out, the Ridgid's got a long lasting and not as noisy induction motor that would last much much longer. When it comes to table saw, weight matters, the more the better.

Its like asking someone, should I get a Hyundai Accent or a Mack Truck? Of course, if you want portability, and be able to load it on the back of your pickup truck to go from site to site, the Craftsman portable "Pro" would be ok. Although, in that catagory, there are still much better alternatives. But for a home shop, the Ridgid's already got a wheel system to roll it from A to B easily.

Enjoy your Ridgid, and rest assured, you made the smarter decision that you won't regret.
              So, you've never even seen the Craftsman, then, let alone used or owned it?

And I would submit that your auto analogy is waaaaaaaaaaaaay off: Comparing these two saws is like comparing a Hyundai to a Hyundai. The "Mack Trucks" of saws are not portable, do not cost $500, and do not have the names "Ridgid" or "Craftsman" on them.

I, unlike you, owned a Craftsman version of the Ryobi BT3100 (before the collapsible base was added) and found it to be an EXCELLENT little saw for the hobbyist. No, you couldn't rip 10 foot lengths of 8/4 maple with it, but that's not what it's designed for. There are a billion accessories out there for it, it has an extremely loyal following (fanatical users, even), and the built-in SMT and router table/fence were PERFECT for someone who has a small shop and doesn't need too many too big tools.

I bought mine for less that 1/2 list price and it served me well until I had the space (1600 sq feet now) and budget for a cabinet saw.

I'm not disagreeing, by the way, with the advice given here: I would have suggested that the OP go with the Ridgid as well. But I do think your critique of the Craftsman is off-base, and parts of it are patently untrue.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Didn't mean to offend. I do own the BT3100. Its is a markedly different catagory of saw than the Ridgid 3660. Two completely different class of table saws.

Yes, sadly, there is a very loyal following for these BT3x00 and the craftsman equivilent version.

If I had to do it again, I would have picked up something with a standard t-slot and cast iron top.

The only truly great thing about this budget machine, is that the rail locks in straight and solid.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBoxer View Post
                  Didn't mean to offend.

Yes, sadly, there is a very loyal following for these BT3x00 and the craftsman equivilent version.
                  No offence taken. For some bizarre reason I often find it necessary to defend products/producers from criticism that I personally find unfounded. Al-in-all, I think I need professional help ;)

My thoughts, for the record:

On T-slots: The Craftsman model does indeed come with T-slots, 2 of 'em. This is a feature that the BT owners often moan about. In addition, I bought a second (Ryobi add-on) mitre-slot extension for mine, and so I had 4 mitre slots/T-slots on my saw... More than enough, methinks.

On the router table extension: The Craftsman came standard with the router kit. It includes a pre-drilled table, inserts, and all kinds of neat stuff to turn the right side of the rip fence into to pretty darned good router fence. This inclusion (as standard, vice optional, equipment) also tweaked BT owners. I miss that router table (I now have a full size router station with the Freud micro-adjust fence, and am going to sell it and add a router table extension to my cabinet saw), so I guess its usefulness is subjective.

On the SMT: Useful. Great. Easy to set up. Accurate. But, granted, I'd rather have a good mitre guage and some jigs. Why? The SMT was too small to be of practical use (too small for decent-sized panels).

On the universal motor: I used to laugh when I heard people complain about the noise. Yep, it's noisy. But it was quiet compared to my DC, or even my shop-vac. AND, we should all be wearing hearing protection anyway, right? I've also heard that they're weak and that they burn out. All I can say is that mine cut wood, and didn't burn out.

On plastic: Another thing that got to the BT owners was that the craftsman model replaced plastic parts (e.g. the blade height and angle handles) with metal ones. GRANTED: Looking at the photo of the "new" Craftsman (with the fold-up base), it looks like they've just used the plastic Ryobi handles this time. BUT, they're just handles. It's not like the trunions are plastic.... So, mostly plastic? Nope. about 90% aluminum? Yep.

On accuracy: Mine cut straight lines. It was accurate. What else can I say? If you set up a saw properly, it's accurate. If you don't set it up properly, it's inaccurate. (shrug)

On the loyal following: Despite your assertion that it's "too bad", the fact that there is a dedicated, fanatical, loyal following says something about the saw, n'est ce pas? Frankly, I think that the dudes who put money and time into converting their BT3XXX saws into giant mobile Frankensaws are off their rockers... To make a BT into an 8 foot wide x 8 foot deep monster with drawers and extensions and torsion boxes and ballast and all that jazz is to try to turn the saw into something it isn't, and the time/money would be better spent looking for a decent cabinet saw. BUT, for a guy looking for a little saw with a ton of features packed all into one unit, it ain't a bad unit. I think it's a great saw to do-it-all while you're saving your bucks for a General cabinet saw and a Freud router table/cabinet. (And then, if you're like me, you'll wanna get rid of the Freud and go back to something that was easier to use (grin))

Cheers!

Gary
                  Last edited by Gary Madore; 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Well said

Comment

I've got the PC 7518 in my Jessem table set up. Forget the price difference, I have no upgrade desires now, and will likely pass this unit on to my son one day.

Buy quality, and there's no confusion.

I have two Professional line big 3 and a qurrter Sears routers that I acquired at a very good price each in my early journey in woodworking which I'm on the verge of donating to my good buddy as a charitable gift as he's had occasional router need scenarios he's described to me.

Sometimes, some acquisitions just become part of the slope of knowledge to where we ultimately want to be. Gosh! That makes me feel good saying that, I just want to go and wrap up those routers for delivery now as a matter of fact.
                      Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

Did you mean to post this in the router thread, or have I just not had enough coffee yet to figure out the connection here?

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents ... what if you compare the Rigid to the Sears professional series cabinet saws that have the cast iron tables?

Gary
                          Life is like a box of chocolates ... I just want to learn how to make the box

Comment

Originally posted by GSP View Post
                            Just to add my 2 cents ... what if you compare the Rigid to the Sears professional series cabinet saws that have the cast iron tables?

Gary
                            A professional series cabinet saw (all cast-iron) is exactly what I have (replaced my Ryobi/Craftsman do-it-all saw with it) - and I got it for less than 40% of list price (on sale, "Craftsman Club" coupon, and a special in-store coupon).

It is an AWESOME saw for this woodworker, an awesome saw at any price, and a super-duper-extremely awesome (and then some) saw for what I paid for it. I mean, hey, I only paid for the saw what most people would pay for just the fence....

It took me about a day to set it up and tune it and it's been happily making smaller pieces of wood out of larger ones for about 2 years now. All-in-all, I do not have one single, solitary complaint about this unit.

Er, except for maybe that it's not easy to move around ;)

Oh, and I don't much like the stock mitre guage, but who does? I bought an aftermarket one and love it.

So, never having owned the Ridgid, I can't compare. But I can say that the "Professional" cabinet saw is a great saw, that I have no complaints about it, and that it can be had for around $400 if you do your homework and are willing to hover like a vulture while waiting for the right moment to swoop down and snap it up.

FWIW, I did pretty much exactly the same thing with their "Professional" 14" bandsaw. Picked it up for a song, along with 6 blades that were on clearance, and it's been happily making small chunks of wood out of bigger ones for about 2 years. No problems.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GSP View Post

Gary
                              I'm assuming you mean the 22124 hybrid made by Steel City's Orion subsidiary? Compared to the 3660, you won't be able to tell which saw the wood was cut with, but the person using the saw will be able to tell! The 3660 is a traditional contractor saw with an outboard motor and a host of minor nuisances that are associated with that design. The 22124 has a commercial Biesemeyer fence, heavy cabinet mounted trunnions, a shorter drive belt, an enclosed motor that won't hit something when tilted, and weighs in at 425#, which is well over 40% heavier than the 3660 (the weight is one of the more noticeable features when you use the two saws).

The new Ridgid R4511 hybrid is also made by Steel City and is much more similar to the 22124 than the 3660, but has a granite top and a riving knife.

Last edited by scott in rochester; 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X