Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

Re: FYI: House of Tools closing?

Gotta say I've never been impressed with HOT staff in Calgary.

Still better than HD or Rona though... and they carry a lot of stuff you can't find other places.

In BC you have KMS tools and Summit tools. Calgary you have less competition so perhaps they are more secure in Alberta.

Hope they stay in business, but more for access to product lines than anything else...

Matt
    SPCHT

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Well, I'd never even heard of them until about a month ago so I guess I'm not missing much.

Still, competition breeds excellence so I guess we'll start to see things go to hell pretty soon.

Happily and woefully out of date
      ... and not buying the upgrade!

Comment

I have worked for House of Tools now for 11yrs in Duncan,Victoria and Langley.

House of Tools was bought 4 yrs ago by Western Tool Supply from the USA

House of Tools is closing 5 stores on May 31st 2009, they include:
        Victoria BC
        Campbell River BC
        Langley BC
        Medicine Hat AB
        Calgary Industrial AB

The remaining 8 locations will stay open

There will be no inventory liquidation sale, all remaining inventory will be sent to the 8 surviving stores

Comment

Now that thats out there for all to read, pay close attention to the store locations in the near future. I would not be at all suprised to see someone take over some of the locations as the reasons for closing these stores are questionable at best. There is a great opportunity for someone to do a good job and take care of some existing markets. If something does happen stop by and support ther staff that has taken great care of many of you over the years. We may not of made all of you happy all of the time but most would agree there are some very smart informed people working in these store that would be missed in the business.

Comment

To follow up on John's post, I just received the following email from HOT:

Ryan,
            We are in the processing of closing the following stores, in BC, Langley,
            Victoria, and Campbell River and in Alberta, Medicine Hat. We do not take
            these closing lightly but due to economic conditions we have no choice.
            Thank You for your inquiry.
            Tony Incavo

Comment

According to their staff, HOT will be closing their store end-April. However, they are not getting new stock in, so I suspect that the stores will be largely empty by then, since they are already looking a bit picked-over. Lots of hand power tools at clearance prices, all the small F-clamps were gone, most of the Bessey cabinetmaker clamps gone, much of the abrasives selection gone, etc etc. I hope the staff are able to quickly find new jobs, and it is possible that they may be hired by another tool retailer.

Comment

House of Tools has given notice to all BC employees that there jobs will be terminated as of May 31st. Obviously the stores will close some time before that in order to ship remaining inventory, fixtures etc back to the warehouse. Firm dates for retail closure haven't been given to us yet and any dates quoted by H.O.T. staff are pure speculation at this point. As you can imagine every employee is a little shell shocked and rumours run rampant at a time like this. No one is sure of the future.

There is no stock replenishment for the stores that are closing as sending new stock to closing stores makes no sense as they don't want to send it all back.

House of Tools is shipping any and all customer orders to the affected branches. Anything in the distribution center is available and will be shipped.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification, JohnE.

Comment

Was just at HOT and chatted with a couple of staff ( as I was checking out what is left of the deals) and there is a rumor ( at this time) that another tool company is talking about opening at that location and offering the employees work with the company. They can't openly say at this time. Lots of stock is going fast and the tool reps are there offering deals on the remaning tools. Not much left but I scooped a few deals on stuff that was left. There is still some sandpapers left but the clamps were the first to go ( darn) Some guy was in yesterday and cleaned out all the sorbey lathe tools.

Comment

I don't really accept that it's economic conditions totally. HOT had been a go to for me quite some time. I used to frequent the Medicine Hat store. But since it had been taken over by the U.S based company both the quantity and quality of stock deminished. Began to remind me of some of the big box store tool displays, but weren't competing with prices. Gradually I just quit going there. So I think it has more to do with their corporate business decisions.

Very best,

Al
                      Happiness is removing a sliver

Comment

Well, Thought I would check it out and just got back from the Colwood store. Plenty of people milling about, price are not specially marked (except for some of the bigger stationary tools). Picked up some shop essentials. Titebond glue came out to be a couple bucks off, not great saving there. Picked up the (woodpecker) Dimar tri blade 24 bit router bit set for 65.00 (109.00 reg)

And something I have been considering for awhile the Bessey K-Body Revo Framing Clamp kit for $150.00 (279.00 HOT reg or about 230.00 ish from LV)
                        What the hey it is my Birthday tomorrow

Comment

Well, Happy B-Day Dean

I have been working for the House of Tools in Victoria now for almost ten years. Let me be the first from our store to send out a special thanks to all our customers that have come into our store in Colwood and supported us. Through out the years there, we have always strived to build not just retail tool store, but a relationship with our cutomers.

Whether on not we have made all of our customers happy, the staff have always gone out of our way to try and make everyones experiance with us a good one.

I hope to see alot of our regulars between now and the end of this downturn.

Thanks to all of you that have made my working experiance with House of Tools the last ten years a great one!

Jon Wear

Comment

Jon,

It is too bad the store is closing, HOT was on my way home, so used to stop by quite often for those little items (Also a tablesaw, jointer, bandsaw, etc). Being able to barter the sticker price was also something that is missing from the box stores. The staff were always good to deal with.

I hope you find that next great opportunity if you have not already found it.

Comment

UPDATE!

The sale has begun, in an about face ownership wants to move some product. The affected stores are now having a Closing the Doors sale.

The sales structure may be different from store to store but deals are to be had.

Here in Langley everything is 20% off and Power Tools and Machinery is at Staff Cost! We still have pretty good stock and there are 100's of power tools available.

So come on in and pick over our bones before we go

Comment

Just got back from the Langley store. Pretty much a waste of time. Looked at a GI 2hp dust collector priced at $750. Asked about the sales price. "That is the sales price". Everyday price at KMS is $679. 20% off prices inflated 30% isnt much of a sale. Surprised they lasted this long.

Comment

Working...
                                X