Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

The Colwood store is wrapping most everything up by next week. It was nuts there last weekend and most everything that was worth getting was gone. Some things were reduced considerably others were only reduces 10%. There is no real motivation to sell things off as they are just inventory for other stores back east.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
      Just got back from the Langley store. Pretty much a waste of time. Looked at a GI 2hp dust collector priced at $750. Asked about the sales price. "That is the sales price". Everyday price at KMS is $679. 20% off prices inflated 30% isnt much of a sale. Surprised they lasted this long.

Thanks Shepherd, that saved me a trip to Langley as I was planning to make some major purchases.

Comment

Overheard one of the guys at KMS today telling a customer that they are taking over the HOT locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
          Overheard one of the guys at KMS today telling a customer that they are taking over the HOT locations.
          Ok fogive me for not knowing. What is KMS?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew in Victoria View Post
            Ok fogive me for not knowing. What is KMS?
            KMS Tools Right now, they have 3 locations: Coquitlam, Abbotsford and Kamloops. They've cut back a bit on their woodworking section but are still a toy store. They sell General, King, Forrester and some Delta. Bynford & Maxwood are their house brands. The Coquitlam store (the only one with which I'm familiar) has what looks to me (I'm not a turner) a decent woodturning section.

But woodworking is only a part of their business. Lots of portable, air and hand tools for construction. Major metal working section. And recently they've started in on being a supplier for hot-rods.

They also have a very inefficient check-out system. On Saturdays, just forget about it unless you're in dire need or have lots of patience.

--
            Cheers,
            Rob
            Last edited by Darthfrog; 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthfrog View Post
              KMS Tools Right now, they have 3 locations: Coquitlam, Abbotsford and Kamloops.
              They also have a branch in Red Deer AB.

Cheers

DaveD
              "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten”

Comment

Was down at the soon to be old HOT location chatting with one of the staff that I know and yes it is going to be the KMS Tools location. Speculation is that they will be reopened by the end of April.

Comment

Re: FYI: House of Tools closing?

So the Kamloops store is not closing? I'm a newbe, and have not yet been to the HOT (KMS is closer to where I live in Kamloops). The few tools I have are from big box stores, except my scroll saw which is second hand, and a clutch I bought for my lathe at Windsor Plywood (which cost more than the lathe). Despite the fact that my lathe is a cheap brand from Home Depot (Delta midi) it seems to work well enough for my purposes (so far, anyway).

Although I'm new to woodworking, I've sewed for many years. I suppose the tools at big box stores are like the sewing machines at Walmart--not too good, but usable (if you are lucky).

Comment

Mely
                    Check out the KMS store, when I was out in Coquitlam for work and stayed over the weekends I'd wander in to the KMS store there , a fabulous place , new and used tools , I never took any wood working classes but i know that they give welding classes.
                    Check out the local secondary schools and colleges thay may offer night classes
                    Regards
                    Pete

Comment

KMS tools is taking over HOT Langley, Victoria and 99% sure Campbell River. As of April 15th HOT will be out and the transfomation can begin. The plan as it stands is to re-open ASAP and have Grand Opening Sales in May. Many of your favorite people will still be around to provide the srevice levels most of have come to expect from HOT staff.

I can't let this one go Shepard you were looking at the last 10-110CFM1 with the cartridge filter that happened to be a demo for $750 which is dead cost no mark-up. The model at KMS is the 10-110M1 with the 2 micronbag filter for $679. These types of errors give people the wrong idea. There is a reason HOT in BC sold more General in the last 5 years than all the completitors combined by 300%.... fair honest prices and better than the rest service.

Here I am standing up for these guys and they fired me! The people at HOT are some of the best and with exceptions so were our customers. I hope you all come out and say hi when we reopen the doors soon.

John E
                      Langley Branch
                      Last edited by JohnE; 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                        KMS tools is taking over HOT Langley, Victoria and 99% sure Campbell River.
                        Well, here's hoping that KMS takes over the SawStop dealership from HOT. If I ever get around to upgrading from my 1971 vintage Craftsman contractors saw, I'm getting a SawStop.

I'd love to buy a General 650, a superb saw and Canadian made. But the blade brake on the SawStop is a disruptive technology! I can foresee it becoming a must-have feature. It'd be great if General licensed the technology from Steve Gass and had it in place when I win the 6/49.

--
                        Cheers,
                        Rob

Comment

KMS has taken over the distribution rights for Saw Stop in western Canada, expect stock to arrive soon.

Comment

John,
                            will KMS be retaining the HOT employees, including you?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                              KMS has taken over the distribution rights for Saw Stop in western Canada, expect stock to arrive soon.
                              JohnE-

Does that mean that House of Tools will no longer be able to sell Saw Stops? Or did KMS just take over in the areas that House of Tools will no longer have stores?

Comment

Alan:

Many of the HOT staff has been hired by KMS, even some of the people that were released a few months back are being rehired.

Paladin:

Because HOT is closing all branches in BC KMS has taken the distribution. HOT will continue to be the exclusive dealer in Alberta and Saskatchewan so long as they maintain there numbers with the line. KMS will be the exclusive dealer in BC and will actually have a larger presence in BC than HOT did with branches in Victoria, Campbell River, Coquitlam, Langley, Abbotsford, Kelowna, and Kamloops. There is also some question as to KMS having SawStop in the Red Deer branch with HOT also have a location there. I would assume both will have it.

Comment

Working...
                                X