Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

My intention is not to perpetuate or initiate a rumour mill, but I am seeking further bona-fide information.

On another forum there was a post that the House of Tools in Campbell River was closing in May 09. It also suggested that the entire HOT chain might be in financial trouble. I have heard - albeit rumours only - that the local HOT here in Victoria may also be closing.

I have always had outstanding customer service from HOT, and their prices have also been very good. Their sales staff are knowledgeable, helpful, and have been great to deal with. It would be a shame to lose a Canadian tool/supplies retailer during these tough economic times, so I am hopeful that they will continue operations. LV is opening a store in the next few months just up the road, but I don't know if that would impact HOT greatly since their focus is different. Does anybody have any solid information?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: FYI: Some House of Tools Stores closing.

Re: Is House of Tools closing?

Sorry, but from my standpoint living in the GTA where there are lots of competitors, HOT was almost always overpriced.
    Kevin

Comment

LV opening is going to impact lots of business's in the area. Hopefully they will make the compettitors re think some of their pricing in the hardware department. Of course they are more of a speciality store and even some of their pricing is way out of line for the general public. HOT pricing is not the best and with doing some shopping around you can find most everything they sell cheaper elsewere. With this coming economic situation lots of business's are going to feel the pinch as people start pulling back from and re-thinking their purchases.

I am concerned as to the big tax increase that is hitting everyone in the colwood area where the new LV store is going. Too bad that they didn't look at Langford to build as the big box stores in the area have been able to keep the tax's down here.

Comment

FYI - Good Bye to House Of Tools

Just to let you all know, I spoke with our local house of tools here yesterday to place an order, and was informed that they were not taking any orders nor bringing in any new stock as the head office was shutting down all stores.

So if you have anything on order with them, better check to see if you'll still get it, and there may be some good going out of business sales coming up.

I always liked dealing with them and will be sad to see them go.

Shawn
        No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

Comment

Were they not bought by an American outfit 2 or 3 years ago? If the rumour is in fact true, perhaps it's more a reflection of the parent company's financial position.
          If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

Re: FYI: House of Tools is closing.

Well, it appears that another poster has confirmed the closing; I've merged the two threads and edited the title. Share your HOT memories here I guess.

Comment

That's a real sad news. They are one of the major suppliers of tools (at least here in Edmonton). I wonder who will replace them (if any) as the dealer/distributer of many brands of power tools.
              There aren't many options to buy tools here.
              Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

I agree with mreza, I live 2 1/2 hrs from Edmonton, but we're there every few weeks and I've got alot of stuff in my garage from HOT. Not many options around here.
                Aaron

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Comment

Hi all, I just started lurking a couple of days ago and thought I'd join after I saw this thread. Calgary has three locations of HOT, and a quick phone call confirmed all three Calgary locations are happy & healthy, and continuing business as usual. According to the person I spoke to the closures are BC specific. Have a good week and call your local store to find out if you'll be affected.

Maxwell
                  https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

I've just done some googling, and the most I can find is other anecdotal reports of BC locations closing. I've sent an email to House Of Tools requesting clarification, hopefully they will respond soon.

Comment

Re: FYI: House of Tools closing?

I am not surprised, the economic market and competition makes it tough. Unfortunately, I have found service at HOT hit and miss. I find the stores look more like a cheap furniture store and the customer service has been poor until you make a comment and then they respond to you, to some level of satisfaction, but it may be too late for a lot of people. It is unfortunate but with places like Lee Valley and Island Saws I would not be surprised HOT in Victoria is closing. I think HOT lost focus trying to sell to many different brands rather than focusing on 2 maybe 3 brands and understanding their advantages and disadvantages. Woodworkers are willing to pay a lot for tools but they have to be quality, and selling the same stuff as everyone else with poor service is not going to win any customer loyality

Kevin

Comment

So that means that here will be a big sale right? ?? Not meaning to sound too happy in the situation and I will miss them but sale sale sale!! HOT shuts down just as LV opens up. I am sure that LV will be hiring some of the knowlegable staff. Good timing for them in that regards.

Comment

Dean, if HOT's Alberta-based stores are still operating and these closures are specific to BC, I would expect them to ship much of their stock back east. I'm going to try to find out more details in the next day or so, and hope to visit the HOT to speak with their commercial sales staff. Although I like a good sale as much as the next person, I like even more having a Canadian store open for business.

If the 3 BC stores are the start, one wonders if they will survive as a chain. Remember what happened to the A&B chain of music/electronics stores once they started shuttering their various locations - a rapid downhill slide.

Comment

House of Tools is no longer Canadian, they were purchased by Western Tool Supply in the US a number of years ago. My experience with HOT has been hit and miss, some times you leave happy, just as many times you leave shaking your head. That being said, in Edmonton there just aren't that many places to buy tools.

Graeme

Comment

Try Marson Equipment, Good service and selection.
                              • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X