Tips for routing cedar end grain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for routing cedar end grain?

I'm attempting to route a 1/2" roundover on the end-grain of a cedar table top and the tear-out has been staggering. The bit is quite newish, still sharp and I don't believe it's the issue. Would the tear out be indicative of needing to use higher or lower speed? I've experimented with both with no noticeable changes.

Any suggestions?

Re: Tips for routing cedar end grain?

watch the video here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=25135
    Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Comment

Originally posted by marvintpa View Post
      I'm attempting to route a 1/2" roundover on the end-grain of a cedar table top and the tear-out has been staggering. The bit is quite newish, still sharp and I don't believe it's the issue. Would the tear out be indicative of needing to use higher or lower speed? I've experimented with both with no noticeable changes.

Any suggestions?
      That's an awfully bad wood and grain combination to route.
      You might minimize the tear out by first cutting a small bevel on the table saw to cut those sharp corners (be sure your bevel is small enough to be subsumed entirely by the round over bit). Taking multiple lighter passes should help too.

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
        You might minimize the tear out by first cutting a small bevel on the table saw...
        Now would that be done on a Left or Right tilt saw...?

Comment

Loving that bevel idea, I'll give that a try.
          MANY thanks!!!

Comment

In addition to climb cutting, would the job benefit from dampening the edge with water?

I have never routed cedar, but it can be very brittle.

Don

Comment

This may sound strange but if you soak cedar in water then freeze it then rout it, it works. Easier in the winter.
              “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
              Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
                This may sound strange but if you soak cedar in water then freeze it then rout it, it works. Easier in the winter.
                complete genius. crazy to think of it the first time, but resulting in pure genius

Comment

when i built my white cedar deck last year, i radiused all the ends and edges of the deck boards, 400 sqft of 5/4 by 4 by 6 ft boards

tearout was a problem at first and i wasnt going do every board twice resetting the router every time, so i set up two routers with the same type of bit. one was set with a rough pass to remove maybe 2/3 of the material, and the second router a fine finish cut. cut the ends first then the edges

the cedar that was wet from rain did cut better but not much, two passes did it nicely

for a furniture grade cut, id do three passes or more on any wood but particularly a soft wood like cedar

i used a pair of laminate trimmers for routers, the bit speed is 23000 rpm, faster than most routers and a pair of new freud bits
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

I rounded over a lot of cedar on a big project some years ago. What worked for me was using a climb cut on the end grain, using a roundover bit with a shear cut.

Michael

Comment

When there are problems with end-grain tearout, when turning wood, the solution other than sharp tools and tool presentation, is to fill the endgrain so it will be cut and not fold over or torn out, shellac and thinned lacker, glue that soaks in etc., will help,.............. it's just an other way to approach the problem.
                      sigpic
                      Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                      X