Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I buy vac hose socks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where can I buy vac hose socks?

    Does anybody know a source, preferably Canadian, where I can buy this kind of hose sock?


    Kevin
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

    Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

    pipe insulation?.......Canadian Tire perhaps

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

      Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

      Found some. Just ordered a 40 foot spool in ....you guessed it, Neon Green to complement my Festool army. Taxes and shipping $60. I can use that size for both my 27 and 36mm antistatic hose and still have enough for future use.

      https://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/cana...roducts_id=563

      Comes in all rainbow colours to match any decor....



      There's also this place from the US that you can just buy to length what you want as well.

      http://cableorganizer.com/braided-sleeving/#565

      But for what turned out to be $10 more, I'll have 17 feet to spare for some other application down the road.

      Still not sure if I'll do as some will do, which to have one of my detacheable power cords inserted inside. I'll decide that when I get and start fiddling with it some more, and figuring out what options are best for me. Festool actually has two different amperage power cords, that have differently arranged insert molds - so that they are not applied to the wrong tool for the correct power required - and I can't remember which ones are the one or two that take the 18 amp versus the 16 amp cords.

      I think I'll use the High Friction Silicon Tape from Lee Valley for the ends if using my heat gun the seal the ends from fraying doesn't cause a catching problem which is why I want to do tis in the first place. Just love that tape for all sorts of uses. Works great on outdoor power cords that have nicks or cuts in them. Still haven't had to use any for the water hose though. Too bad it doesn't come in Festool Green.

      Nobody happen to know who would carry this kind of tape in Festool green now?

      Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 02-18-2011, 10:07 PM.
      Kevin

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

        Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

        Is the stuff in the pictures braided? It almost looks like its vinyl? It has a shine to it that a weave wouldnt.

        Anyways the stuff you bought willl give a very clean install. Id like to get some waterproof vinyl stuff for my extractor (carpet cleaner) to go from the solution pump to the nozzel and make a neater install than the cable ties i currently use.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

          Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

          Originally posted by scooby074 View Post
          Is the stuff in the pictures braided? It almost looks like its vinyl? It has a shine to it that a weave wouldnt.
          Yes it's braided, and expands/stretches up to 150%.
          Kevin

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

            Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

            Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
            Yes it's braided, and expands/stretches up to 150%.
            Thanks.

            Just the pictures in the thread above appear to be vinyl. Darn optical illusions . Braid would be no good for my purposes.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

              Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

              Originally posted by scooby074 View Post
              Thanks.

              Just the pictures in the thread above appear to be vinyl. Darn optical illusions . Braid would be no good for my purposes.
              You're right, if you are looking at the picture of the LV high friction silicon tape which is the picture near the bottom of the post with the hammer in it. This tpe is what I'd be using on the ends of the hose socks to keep it in place on my hose, and to also aid in keeping the power cord from shifting around as well if I decide to add that to the inside of the braided hose sock cover along with the hose..

              Seems the other pictures I'm trying to copy from the website that has the braided PET cable socks disappears. Just go to their website using the cableandties link to see pictures of the braided cover.
              Kevin

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                Found some. Just ordered a 40 foot spool in ....you guessed it, Neon Green to complement my Festool army. Taxes and shipping $60. I can use that size for both my 27 and 36mm antistatic hose and still have enough for future use.

                https://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/cana...roducts_id=563

                Comes in all rainbow colours to match any decor....



                There's also this place from the US that you can just buy to length what you want as well.

                http://cableorganizer.com/braided-sleeving/#565

                But for what turned out to be $10 more, I'll have 17 feet to spare for some other application down the road.

                Still not sure if I'll do as some will do, which to have one of my detacheable power cords inserted inside. I'll decide that when I get and start fiddling with it some more, and figuring out what options are best for me. Festool actually has two different amperage power cords, that have differently arranged insert molds - so that they are not applied to the wrong tool for the correct power required - and I can't remember which ones are the one or two that take the 18 amp versus the 16 amp cords.

                I think I'll use the High Friction Silicon Tape from Lee Valley for the ends if using my heat gun the seal the ends from fraying doesn't cause a catching problem which is why I want to do tis in the first place. Just love that tape for all sorts of uses. Works great on outdoor power cords that have nicks or cuts in them. Still haven't had to use any for the water hose though. Too bad it doesn't come in Festool Green.

                Nobody happen to know who would carry this kind of tape in Festool green now?

                When I bought my boomarm I got the higher amperage cord and it works on all the tools.
                The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Cheap Price is Forgotten!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                  Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                  Originally posted by sparky from winnipeg View Post
                  When I bought my boomarm I got the higher amperage cord and it works on all the tools.
                  I'll check mine and see if that's the same case. Never did check. Just assumed they were both non useable between the diFferent type inlets.
                  Kevin

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                    Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                    UPDATE....

                    Finally got around to putting the braided hose cover sock on both my 27 & 36mm Festool hoses. They both fit fine, but what I discovered in putting them on, is to try not to stretch/open this type of braided wrap while putting it on as much as possible for the smaller hose. It tended to not want to "come back" and be taught against the body of the Festool hose, so I ended up taking off my first attempt on the 27mm hose, and using it on the 36mm hose, and took more care the second time around putting it on the 27mm hose.

                    Another thing I wanted to avoid, was either any kind of plastic pull-tie or tape to keep the sock cover in place and not to defray itself. The ends of this braided material fray like crazy. Worse than any kind of nylon rope you've ever cut and not melted the ends. In fact, if you cut a one inch or less segment, it will just defray itself and turn into a handfull of loose strings with the slightest handling. I first tried with the 36mm hose to burn off the ends using my heat gun, which by placing the cover in a metal narrow juice can and only having a half inch or so extending beyond the rim of the can, actually worked not too bad. But the minute you pull the sock over the end pieces of the hose, which you cannot completely remove and are larger in diameter than the hose itself, it breaks the seal that you just melted. Although it still won't fray much, it could be prone to doing so in my opinion, as the sock will be subject to lots of tugging and pulling, and there is also the issue that it can slide ever so much along the body of the Festool hose. It also stays in an open position which is greater than the body of the hose and frankly looks sloppy imo. So I decided to use the previously mentioned High Friction Silicone tape that LV sells, and although with the tape being red, it is quite acceptible, and does the job superbly of keeping the sock cover in place and from the ends fraying.

                    I should note that after I found the issue of the melted end being compromised trying to slide it past the end attachments on the 36mm hose, I subsequently tried a different approach with the 27mm hose to deal with the ends. This time, I simply tried to melt the frayed ends while the wrap was on the Festool hose. I even used a lower heat setting as a precaution, and payed close attention to the Festool hose as the heat started to melt the frayed ends, and I stopped the process briefly to wiggle the Festool hose and found that it was softening the Festool hose itself, so I abandoned this method immediately and gingerly placed the hose down for it to cool. In other words, the melting point of the Festool hose, is significantly lower than the braided hose sock cover material. DO NOT TRY THIS. If I had tried using my higher heat setting, or just not thinking to watch out for this, that Festool hose would have collapsed and fell off like that one too many ice cream ball on your cone you're not paying attention to in the hot summer sun.

                    We'll see how this works out, and I still have enough to do another hose leftover from the roll that I bought, should I need/want to redo one of them. It definitely helps with the hose being able to slide freely over things, and that's what this was all about. I wish that Silicone tape was available in black though purely for esthetic reasons, but I wanted something that was removeable, and did not leave a residue. I thought pull ties would be prone to catching that square part on myself, which can actually hurt depending on how you come into contact with it. Lastly, I decided NOT to put a Plug-It cord inside. I didn't feel it was necessary, nor did I want an end dangling when I wanted to use the hose without a tool for dusting and floor vacuuming.
                    Kevin

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                      Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                      Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                      Lastly, I decided NOT to put a Plug-It cord inside. I didn't feel it was necessary, nor did I want an end dangling when I wanted to use the hose without a tool for dusting and floor vacuuming.
                      I'm missing something. I assumed the purpose of the sock WAS to contain the vac hose and the power cable in a single coherent unit ? Is there another purpose to putting a sock over your hose (wait a minute, that sounds wrong ! ).
                      "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen"

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                        Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                        Originally posted by NuggyBuggy View Post
                        I'm missing something. I assumed the purpose of the sock WAS to contain the vac hose and the power cable in a single coherent unit ? Is there another purpose to putting a sock over your hose (wait a minute, that sounds wrong ! ).
                        The primary purpose was to not have the accordion like hose hanging up on edges while being used in motion. I had thought I would possibly put a dedicated plug-it cord inside, like many others who have "socked" their hoses I've seen, but in my case, I decided I did not want this based on a pros/cons evaluation.
                        Kevin

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                          Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                          Holy Festool boxes in the background Batman! How many items do you own there? When my non-Festool brand hoses get caught up on edges I just pull harder.
                          Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/bob_thewoodwork.ca/
                          Website: http://www.thewoodwork.ca

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                            Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                            Originally posted by Bob R., Ottawa View Post
                            Holy Festool boxes in the background Batman! How many items do you own there? When my non-Festool brand hoses get caught up on edges I just pull harder.
                            Although I own a smaller army of Festool myself, the pictures in my first post on the thread starter are of someone else's shop. I simply had originally used them to initiate my query showing the sock/sleeves I was seeking to find.
                            Kevin

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                              Re: Where can I buy vac hose socks?

                              Vac hose manufacturers would do well to have 4 feet of smooth hose at the end closest to the tool. I hate the hangups and NO I ain't pulling it harder so I can damage the sharp edge of a project.
                              "Do it Right!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X