X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8" Jointer advice

allo

I should get this http://www.elitetools.ca/produit/deg...ogramme-lagunain a couple of days. (I hope to put it together this week end if a friend come to help me)
    If you are not is a rush to buy, you may wait after my first impression comments

Salutations
    Ray

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I bought a CX08 two weeks ago, happy so far, but have not yet put it through its paces. Mind you my first jointer, so nothing to compare it too. On the issue of a spiral cutter versus knives, the Feb 2011 issue of PWW (#188) has an article on this by Glen Huey. His conclusions were: sprial cutters are much quieter, more durable and easier on dust collection due to the shorter and smaller shavings they produce. Also easier to install and rotate when damage does occur (simply rotate each cutter 90 degrees). Huey says cost is a wash based on the sharpening issue others have raised, so he says unless the budget is tight right now, eliminate cost from your decision making. However, Huey's conclusion was to not install a spiral cutter on his jointer, because the wood was then thicknessed through a 3 knife planer. His preference based on his style of woodworking was to install a spiral cutter in his thickness planer while staying with knives on his jointer. I guess he thicknesses both sides, turning stock end-for-end at the planer. He did note a spiral cutter on a jointer is better in a high-production shop, but recommends thinking about your style of woodworking and determining your needs from that. Your shop dollars should go where you need them most. My CX08 savings will contribute to a better bandsaw in the future (I hope...).

Comment

Working...
      X