Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • looking for some help

    have a portercable router (7529) aprox 10yrs old which died on me, hasnt seen a whole bunch of use or abuse, im thinking it might be brushes but thought i read somewhere that there was problems with the switch, wondering if anyone has this model and if they have had any problems with it, if i take it into a service center the fix will probably be half of the cost of new so trying to save some money which will be a first for me

  • #2

    Re: looking for some help

    Re: looking for some help

    Dan, very easy to check the brushs. Simply remove the two brush holder caps, and pull the brushs out. You will be able to determine if they are worn out, wire broken etc.. If they are OK, next step is the electrical cable. Is it OK? Switch should not be difficult to replace, have done a few tools. Just pay attention to how you remove it, and go backwards to install new one.
    Take Care
    George
    Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: looking for some help

      Re: looking for some help

      Originally posted by dan View Post
      have a portercable router (7529) aprox 10yrs old which died on me, hasnt seen a whole bunch of use or abuse, im thinking it might be brushes but thought i read somewhere that there was problems with the switch, wondering if anyone has this model and if they have had any problems with it, if i take it into a service center the fix will probably be half of the cost of new so trying to save some money which will be a first for me
      First thing to do id blow the switch out with air. Then blow out the router too. It might help if it is just a poor contact.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: looking for some help

        Re: looking for some help

        did the cleaning thing, brushes look good nothing seems out of place, there was no smoke no wierd sounds etc. it had been acting up a bit but flick the switch a couple times and it would catch, kinda thinking it is the switch but dont want to start changing parts untill i know whats wrong, not really worth taking in to get fixed, PC will rebuild it for 189 plus shipping etc., thanks for the ideas

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: looking for some help

          Re: looking for some help

          If it costs 189 $ to get your router fixed I would not get it fixed. Too expensive. I would wait and save up for a new one which will last you another 10 or 15 years easy.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: looking for some help

            Re: looking for some help

            Originally posted by dan View Post
            did the cleaning thing, brushes look good nothing seems out of place, there was no smoke no wierd sounds etc. it had been acting up a bit but flick the switch a couple times and it would catch, kinda thinking it is the switch but dont want to start changing parts untill i know whats wrong, not really worth taking in to get fixed, PC will rebuild it for 189 plus shipping etc., thanks for the ideas
            Hi dan,I have the same router although mine so far is working alright but I have heard that there are two parts that often failed on these routers (PC-7529) ,one was the power switch,the other was the speed control switch.
            a lot of owners used to by pass the speed control and make the router a single speed (instead of fixing it by replacing the part with the newer updated version which is what I would do).
            In he link below the problem with the power switch is mentioned:

            http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...856f2cadfa47f5)

            Comment


            • #7

              Re: looking for some help

              Re: looking for some help

              [QUOTE=distrbd;404355]Hi dan,I have the same router although mine so far is working alright but I have heard that there are two parts that often failed on these routers (PC-7529) ,one was the power switch,the other was the speed control switch.
              a lot of owners used to by pass the speed control and make the router a single speed (instead of fixing it by replacing the part with the newer updated version which is what I would do).
              think it is the speed control i have power to the top on/off switch so the handle trigger must be working, dont think i will rewire it, dont need another single speed router, have already replaced it with a freud but wouldnt mind getting this working, must be away to check that speed control thanks for the info

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: looking for some help

                Re: looking for some help

                If it's any help I just had a 25 year old Makita router rebuilt after many years of abuse, for 90 dollars.
                When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: looking for some help

                  Re: looking for some help

                  Originally posted by hoss10 View Post
                  If it's any help I just had a 25 year old Makita router rebuilt after many years of abuse, for 90 dollars.
                  no that dosent help just rubs salt into the wound, just wasted 1/2 hr talking to a PC tech and according to him the only problem with this model is an alignment pin, the nearest service centre for it is in alta so that was out of the question, what i did do was start to strip it apart and found that the top on/off switch must have a bad connection since when its apart and those wires are lose from the harness it works put them back in the harness it dosent work, shes back up and running for now, happy happy happy, thanks for the help guys

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X