Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mastercraft table saw alignment

Not sure about buying used power tools. I don't really need the wheels but the only space I have left to but the saw is against a wall so everytime I make some long cuts I will have to move the saw which is %95 of the time otherwise I use the miter saw. If I get the DeWalt I will build a cabinet and maybe an extension at the back so I can run long boards

Comment

If you think that miter saw works well wait till you try a $500.00 one.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

I just bought the 12'' Hitachi and just love it.
        Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by audiotek View Post
          But it's so hard!!!! :( Some of the deals they have sometimes are just crazy.... now I know why! I have the 10" miter saw which worked OK since day one I changed the blade and WOW that thing was really worth the $250 I paid for LOL
          Don't worry about that. Bashing CT is very popular here. Like any vendor, CT carries some good stuff and some junk. I have some CT tools and I would challenge any body to tell a difference between two pieces of lumber routed with a $100 (on sale) CT router and a $350 Freud.

Although, when it comes to tables saw offered by CT I don't think they carry anything worth even half of the sale prices.
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

That's a good trick and probably would work great and would take no space to store instead of building an extension. So you would actually screw the 2x4 in the fence???? I think the biggest issue would be to find a dead straight 2x4.

Originally posted by callee View Post
            Just as a side note, I saw a neat jig the other day for aiding in ripping sheet goods by yourself on a tablesaw. First grab a straight and true 2x4 stud, and screw it to the fence as an auxiliary fence, centred so that about the same amount hangs off the front and back of the saw. Then get two more pieces of wood - anything really will do, maybe two lengths of 2x6 about 16" long or so - and screw them to the bottom of the 2x4 on the flat at either end to create ledges. voila, instant infeed and outfeed support!

As for the saw, I agree with the comments posted above, and though I'm biased, having bought this saw myself, I would recommend the ridgid portable TS. It has wheels, moves around nice, can be had on sale for only a little more than what you paid for the mastercraft, but the lifetime service agreement really adds to the value.

Comment

It's hit and miss I've returned so many power tools from CT until I got the right one. I think the Maximum jigsaw got returned 3 times, cordless hammer drill 3 times as well. That table saw will be the third time first time the blade wouldn't come up the replacement I got the motor was fried and now I just had enough it's in the box and getting returned I just hope they will give me my money back. I know they are great for exchange but a refund after a week???? Not sure!!!

Originally posted by darius View Post
              Don't worry about that. Bashing CT is very popular here. Like any vendor, CT carries some good stuff and some junk. I have some CT tools and I would challenge any body to tell a difference between two pieces of lumber routed with a $100 (on sale) CT router and a $350 Freud.

Although, when it comes to tables saw offered by CT I don't think they carry anything worth even half of the sale prices.

Comment

i wouldnt consider my comments about that saw to be ct bashing, i have owned many mastercraft tools, most of them mechanics tools and they are great, had a mastercraft thickness planer, it was a good machine, as is my ct compressor.

that saw is total garbage, i know ive used several of them and the sears clone. it cant be adjusted, very poorly built and dangerous. the ryobi isnt much better.

the horsepower claims for that type of equipment is also ludicrous.
                my shop is a beaver lodge
                steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

I've owned a Bosch portable at one time for site work and it was reasonable. My partner now owns a Skil cheapo and it's reasonable too, with better dust collection. Not nearly as refined, if that's possible in this category, but it cuts with about the same degree of frustration as did the Bosch. I think any amount of money spent over a $150 in this area is a waste. Portables that run around the $500 mark just make people dream of something better.

Cutting a 4x8 on anything this size is nuts....you need major support or manpower. I own a large cabinet saw. It has a 5' rear table extension and large sliding side table and I would consider this the MINIMUM safe size for full sheets.

Even a circular saw with a homemade edge guide will do a better job than a portable for breaking down sheets.
                  Paul

Comment

I have one of the cheapest tablesaws CT sells, that I use to cart around if I am working on something outside of my shop. With a half decent blade, it works fine for me as a hobby woodworker. I was able to adjust the blade to within 4 thou of paralell with the mitre slots (measured with a lee valley dial indicator)

Would I use a saw like this to build fine furniture professionally? not a chance.

Does it work for occasional use where perfection isn't absolutely critical? absolutely.

Before you spend rediculous amounts of money, decide what you want out of the saw, and go from there.

PS. I fell victim to the "stevem syndrome" and bought a rockwell/beaver tablesaw used off of Kijiji, it works great and is for sure better than the mastercraft saw.
                    I'm only responsible for what i say, not for what you understand.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, You have an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                      i wouldnt consider my comments about that saw to be ct bashing, i have owned many mastercraft tools,
                      I complete agree with Steve on both points. The saw in question is garbage, and that opinion is based on experience not any unfounded hate for mastercraft. Many CT tools are not garbage. I own many all will continue to buy them selectively.

Originally posted by bbain32 View Post
                      PS. I fell victim to the "stevem syndrome" and bought a rockwell/beaver tablesaw used off of Kijiji, it works great and is for sure better than the mastercraft saw.
                      Now this is funny....

Comment

Got the DeWalt 745 today as an exchange. Reason: Doesn't do what it suppose to do and too dangerous to operate That's what I told the lady! I haven't done any cuts yet with the DeWalt I just set it up and still reading the manual. So far it seems pretty good better built that the MC one the only thing I noticed is how crappy the mitre gauge is!! Looks like it belongs on a Fisher Price table saw really doesn't fit the quality of the saw, the fence is solid and accurate. The blade is off by less than 1/16th from the mitre slot but I think it's acceptable since the fence is dead on and the wood won't get pinch between the blade and the fence. The action to lower and raise the blade is pretty smooth also.

Comment

Working...
                        X