Cordless 18V Impact Driver/drill Combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless 18V Impact Driver/drill Combo

I'm in the market for a new 18 V light weight impact driver and drill combo. I think I have narrowed down my search to three sets which are about the same price. Does anyone have any recommendations or first hand experience with any of these?

These 2 sets are just the drill/driver combo

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...id=CLPK232-180

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/c...bo-kit/2691-22

And this one comes with a recip saw, which I wasn't really looking for but I probably would use, and its the same price as the bosch and milwaukee sets.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/...roductID=20972

Any comments are much appreciated.

Val
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cordless 18V Impact Driver/drill Combo

I have used the makita set some, very impressed with the fit in my hand and the power of the driver. The set had the small 18 volt battery which made it lighter for shop work.

Comment

Haven't used the others but can agree with the Makita comment , think I have 8-10 of their LXT tools , and once you have the charger and batteries getting the tool only deals is pretty economical. Do note though the 1.5 amp/hr batteries dont fit on the Cutting tools without user alteration ( all cutting tools eat battieries even the 3 amp/hr ones.)

Mick.

ps. Even the tech guy at the local Dewalt Service centre commented last time i was there that PC tools aint what they used to be........ymmv.

Comment

I have had the Makita set (hammer drill & impact driver) for about 5 years now. The two original five year old batteries are doing fine and the third one (four years old) is also fine. It has done every job I've thrown at it and it spent the first two years of its life in a cabinet shop building base cab's - lots of screws!!

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

John

Comment

Milwaukee, Bosch and Makita are basically the same tool. I don't know anything that would make one set stand out above the other. I have the Bosch 18 and the Milwaukee M12's. I'd buy both again and if I was you I'd pick the colour I liked the best.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Here's very recent comparative review of 18v. 1.5 and 3amp lithium powered driver drills

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...58896&artnum=7

I believe the same site has reviews of 18 v. impact drivers as well as older reviews of 18v. lithium driver drills.

I've had the Makita black and white 18v. lithium 1.5 amp driver drill and impact driver pair for 2-3 years like them a lot:very light, small form yet very powerful.
            Home Depot's current weekly flyer has this pair for $280

Busy Bee's current flyer (expires end of July) has the Makita green 18v. 3 amp lion pair for $299 (slightly larger/heavier, longer duration, has built in belt clip)

There are a lot of good dual pack in this 18v. lion format.

I'm leery of Porter Cable's recent offerrings since the company was taken over and "repositioned" as a cheaper line, for what its worth.

good luck

michael

Comment

I have the Milwaukee set and love it. I also have a 12v and 9v Makita drill/driver and they are real workhorses. I too would not buy Porter Cable any more for the same reasons as michael.
              Paul

Comment

What's your budget? If you don't mind spending a little more, the brushless drills and drivers by makita are available from Home Depot. The brushless power and efficiency are a game changer for these tools. No brushes to generate oodles of heat, and no worries about burning motors if they stall. Plus they will last much longer because brushless motors are as efficient as they get.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-to...mbo-kit/995066
                Name is Kamil

Comment

Also vote on makita....if you can get the drill with the metal chuck. dont get the storm trooper colors if you have a choice (or care).
                  What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffmacd View Post
                    dont get the storm trooper colors if you have a choice (or care).

??? why ???

John (curious)

Comment

Val, Bosch is a good choice from the tools you mentioned. Porter Cable, I have the drill and recip, are nice DIY tools, but I would not recommend them to a daily user. Makita, as others have said is also a Good choice.
                      Rigid at the BORG might be worth a look, if only because of the lifetime warranty, IF you register on line.
                      Take Care
                      George
                      Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission

Comment

Originally posted by greenv View Post
                        I'm in the market for a new 18 V light weight impact driver and drill combo. I think I have narrowed down my search to three sets which are about the same price. Does anyone have any recommendations or first hand experience with any of these?

These 2 sets are just the drill/driver combo

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...id=CLPK232-180

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/c...bo-kit/2691-22

And this one comes with a recip saw, which I wasn't really looking for but I probably would use, and its the same price as the bosch and milwaukee sets.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/...roductID=20972

Any comments are much appreciated.

Val

A further comment: distinguish between driver drill and hammer drill.
                        The hammer drill has forward and rear motion in addition to a rotary movement of the bit, presumeably making for more effective action with making a hole in concrete. The tradeoff is extra weight and a longer form. When I was in the market several years ago for a cordless duo 18 v. set, the extra weight and longer form was more of a penalty than I was willing to bear for the limited amount of concrete drilling I've done as amateur and homeowner. You still need to use 'concrete' for concret (duh) and each 3/8" diameter hole with a regular drill (used a corded drill) took about 15 minutes of nibbling away.

Here, btw, is an older (2009?) toolsofthetrade review of cordless impact drills

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...05143&artnum=1

good luck

michael

Comment

I would suggest the makita kit, if you use it all day every day I would get the 3a kit. I have the milwaukee M18 kit with a bunch of other bare tools and batteries added to the kit. Wouldn't buy it again. I've been through 3 impact drivers in 3 years, had to have my hammer drill rebuilt twice, one of my chargers died and took out one of my batteries. With all those problems it is still miles ahead of my old dewalt cordless stuff....

Comment

Makita has both $20/$50 rebates on at the moment, both KMS and Summit tools have it in their catalogues that arrived Friday, the 4 tool kit i starrted with is $399 after the instant rebate. ( drill/driver,impact ,skilsaw and recip kit with 2X 3amp/hr batts.) I have since brought extra tools and batteries , some locally and some through Amazon.com which aren't readily available here such as the concrete vibrator and at the time the 1/2 inch impact for driving lagbolts etc.

Comment

Only since I find the white goes yellow pretty quick....and no one likes a yellow storm trooper. That said...storm troopers are still cooler than aquamen.
                              What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X