Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a big bandsaw from BC to Edmonton?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a big bandsaw from BC to Edmonton?

(Another long distance deal hunting):

There is a 24" bandsaw in (apparently) new condition for sale in Kelowna:
    griggio.jpg

It's a Griggio machine and 3 phase (which means I'll have to swap the motor). Plus, I have to somehow get it here (Edmonton). So these I suppose will add substantially to cost. Trouble is it's not a one day trip if I want to go and pick it up myself and haul it back.

Do you know of a shipping company who could do this for a reasonable rate?
    I'm ok with adding another 4-500 to the price but I feel this won't cover the extra cost of transportation and motor swap...

Re: Getting a big bandsaw from BC to Edmonton?

Is the seller willing to work with you on this. It will need to be on a pallet, strapped down and table removed and the whole thing plastic wrapped. And you will need a tailgate lift at both ends for shipping. The seller might not want to get though the effort. I would go and get it.
    Looks like a nice saw and worth the effort!
    Mark
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Hi, I wouldn't swap the motor, I would just add a 3 HP VFD to it, assuming it's a 208 volt 3 phase motor.

If it's 480 or 600 I would swap the motor.................Rod.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ387646432 Have you looked at this one its already here. Its been for sale for a long time.
        “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks Rod. How much would a VFD would cost for a 3HP cost?

Originally posted by redlee View Post
          http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ387646432 Have you looked at this one its already here. Its been for sale for a long time.
          I've talked to the guy but he doesn't come down (has been listed for quite some time, first at $2500). That saw is at least 13 years old and he bought it used from NAIT.
          The one in Kelowna, the owner says he bought new 4 years ago and has never used (never put a blade on it)!

Comment

Hi Mreza

First off I would defiantly go the VFD route, for about 200 dollars that includes shipping you could use the motor thats already in that saw. You can do alot of things with a three phase motor that you can't with a single phase.

Second I'm on Vancouver Island right now and will be coming back through Kelowna next week. That looks like a very good price for that caliber of saw.

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it...=2&category=32
            Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I've been keeping my eye on it too . It's good to know he won't drop the price. I'll keep on looking.

mreza,

I contacted a shipping company about shipping some machinery from Ontario a couple of monthes ago and their price was reasonable. If you check some old threads in the forum you may find the info it before I do on my messy desk. If not I'll try to get the info to you over the next few days if you can't work something out with Mike.

Good luck and if you buy it, I'm jealous. It is a great looking saw and I've been looking for a decent used bandsaw for months.

stan
              http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

I have a Teco VFD on my Mill its been very good and reliable!
                “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
                Winston Churchill

Comment

Grizzly Tools also sell static phase converters at a good price.

Regards, Gil

Comment

Originally posted by gilinvictoria View Post
                    Grizzly Tools also sell static phase converters at a good price.

Regards, Gil
                    Not that I have any experience with them, but I have yet to hear anything positive about the static converters, especially when compared to the rotary type.

Comment

I suspect it has been static converters are the root of all the naysayers when it comes to Rotary Phase Converters. People don't understand the difference and figure they are one and the same. There is a huge difference.

brian
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by J. Vibert View Post
                        Not that I have any experience with them, but I have yet to hear anything positive about the static converters, especially when compared to the rotary type.
                        You are just asking for problems with static phase converters, it's an ok solution for individual small motor that is doing very little work, you only achive 2/3 of full power. It runs mainly on two legs of the three phase and the third is run off a capcitor. It won't likely work on a star wound and compact european motors, motors with built in breaking, one with much start-up load and with advance starters that sense a phase imbalance.
                        Cheers, Mark
                        sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

It's on wheels, go rent a u-haul. Most have the tie-down tracks inside them, make a nice day of it!
                          sigpic"Turn it, Don't burn it!"

Comment

Ok, I suppose if the motor says 440/220 it means it can be run on either 440 or 220 which means I can use a VFD as linked by Mike.
                            Please tell me that I'm correct on this one (name plate of motor shown):

bandsaw plate pic 001.jpg

Comment

Any comments on my last question? I'd like to confirm that this motor can be run with a VFD on 220v single phase.

Comment

Working...
                              X