Beaver 4800 Bearings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaver 4800 Bearings

Hi all, I just replaced the bearings on my Beaver 4800 6" jointer cutter head. I noticed that once I got the new bearings installed on the cutter head, then put the bearing housings back on each end and bolted it back to the jointer, the cutter head had room to move laterally almost 1/4". It almost seems the bearings are pushed on the end of the cutter head too far, but I just pushed them down until they hit the stop. With the cutter head installed, and with the cutter head moved all the way to the left or the right, the bearing on the opposite end seems to only be about half way inside the bearing housing. Has anyone else run into this when replacing he bearings? It doesn't seem to me that the cutter head should be able to move laterally with such freedom.

Re: Beaver 4800 Bearings

I have had situations like this - especially when rebuilding an old planer. I just made sure to do a test fit and arrange the bearings so that they are completely inside whatever cast part they should fit inside (not sure if that makes sense.) Also that whatever pulley you have on there has enough room.
    In your case I would pay close attention to the final alignment of the cutterhead with the table. No point having knives spinning out past the table.

Hope that helps.... good luck!

Pete

Comment

I think I understand what your saying. I guess I should just pull one of the bearings back about 1/4" or so, what way there wouldn't be room for the whole cutter head to slide back and forth inside the bearing housings, is that what you mean? Should I maybe create a spacer to go in between the bearing and the end of the cutter head shaft?

Comment

Locktite bearing mount can be your friend for those installations...........Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by rcampbell View Post
          I guess I should just pull one of the bearings back about 1/4" or so, what way there wouldn't be room for the whole cutter head to slide back and forth inside the bearing housings
          That's what I did. I didn't have quite as much slop as you, mine was probably under 1/8"

Hadn't heard of the loctite bearing mount before, but it sounds like it's designed for this sort of thing also.

Comment

If you have lateral play in the cutter block lock tite is not the answer(lock tite is for shaft ware). Bearings on a cutter block are a press fit to the shaft and a slip fit to the housing. The reason is the head needs to exspand as it warms up so using lock tite will case more problems. I will bet you have put the wrong size bearings in yours and the width is off and not setting in the housing or you have lost preload springs. What where the old bearing numbers. what did you order for repaclements. what are the stock bearings in the manual? these are the first thing to check IMO.

jack
            English machines

jack
            English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

i agree with jack, sounds like the wrong bearing, ie not wide enough

the 4800 is actually a rebadged rockwell/delta 37-220. also the 37-220 had two different shaft sizes depending on the year, the 4800 is likely the smaller older shaftsize

i dont have my 37-220 any more so i cant get the bearing number, but maybe somebody here can or measure the actual bearing

there was a thread a few years ago on rebuilding a 37-220, it may have the bearing numbers in it. i will check with the owwm crowd too

the bearing number isnt that important, you just need a wider bearing or a spacer between your bearings and the cutterhead and as jack says, leave a small space for lateral expansion so you dont break the bearing cap/holder
              my shop is a beaver lodge
              steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Just a little update. I measured the smaller bearing of the two last night. The inner race on this bearing was about 50 thou wider than the rest of the bearing. I couldn't measure the thickness of the inner race on the larger bearing, because I already tossed it out, but assuming it's about the same, I'll need spacers to make up almost an 1/8" of an inch. This should get me pretty close. After I looked at it a second time, it's not moving 1/4". If anyone was able to pull off their bearing cap and measure the thickness of the inner race on the larger bearing, I'd be a happy camper!

Comment

its been a number of years since i changed the bearings in the 37-220 that i used to have

im pretty sure the two bearings were identical, i do remember they were pressed on right to the shoulder on the spindle(both bearings) and the head was centered with minimal lateral play. the bearing was a snug fit in both holders(tap in fit)

my opinion is that your new bearings are not wide enough

i'll ask over at owwm right now what the numbers should be, hopefully somebody will know!!

like i said before, the 37-220 had two spindle diameters, 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch comes to mind. the 4800 was a very early 37-220 and probably had the smaller spindle but i doubt very much that the width of the bearing changed which would require a different casting for the bearing holders
                  steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Oddly enough, the bearing on the left side of my cutter head is smaller than the bearing on the right side of my cutter head, I'm hoping their thicknesses are the same though

Comment

got some info on owwm

the two bearings are 87502 and 87503

check your bearing housings and shaft diameter though, the 87502 is 15 mm id and 35 mm od, 12.7 mm (1/2 inch) wide, the 87503 is 17 mm id by 40 mm od and a little wider at 14.3 mm

http://www.bearingsdirect.com/store/...duct_list&c=95

note that bearing sizes are metric. check your spindle and housings carefully or take the bits to a bearing shop like motion canada. be carefull with those bearing holders, they are cast iron and somewhat fragile(brittle)

they are very common bearings, motion canada will probably have them in stock
                      steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                        got some info on owwm

the two bearings are 87502 and 87503

they are very common bearings, motion canada will probably have them in stock
                        If what you had in there was the 8700 SERIES extended race felt seals that would be your problem if you replace them and do not have the extended inner race. What are the numbers and letters on yours?

Delta used the Felt Seal Extended one Side Ball Bearing in there motors and some of there other machines. you can't get the felt ones any more but rubber seals would be better. BTW there an $8 bearing.

http://www.bearingsdirect.com/store/...t_detail&p=684

jack
                        English machines

jack
                        English machines

Comment

Well guys, I'm just about ready to try this jointer. The last thing I need to do is put the blades back in the cutter head. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to best go about setting the height of the blades in the cutter head. There are no jack screws in these cutter heads, so it almost seems like you just have to sort of do it by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by rcampbell View Post
                            Well guys, I'm just about ready to try this jointer. The last thing I need to do is put the blades back in the cutter head. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to best go about setting the height of the blades in the cutter head. There are no jack screws in these cutter heads, so it almost seems like you just have to sort of do it by hand?
                            http://www.oellasawandtool.com/produ...-%26-Wood.html

jack
                            English machines

jack
                            English machines

Comment

Working...
                            X