Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Bradley switch wiring. Got the diagram, not sure if I understand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Bradley switch wiring. Got the diagram, not sure if I understand...

Hi,

I want to replace a standard light switch on one of my tools with an Allen Bradley 800S-2SAP I picked up in a garage sale.

I found a diagram in a PDF but I am not sure I understand how it works.

Fig.1, lights the pilot when the motor runs. Nice but I can tell when the little screamer is running.

Fig.2, Lights the pilot when the motor is not running. Safer since now I know the machine is plugged in even when not running.

And this is what the connections look like:

I want the pilot light on when the motor is not running. From what I gather, I would bring my live wire to L1, going out of 3 to the circled M, my motor, L2 is the neutral. The pilot light is connected to 4 with a wire inside the switch and the other side to L2 as well.

What is confusing me is the connectors labels are arbitrary from one diagram to the other.

On the switch it is laid out this way:

O-6 7-O
    O-5 8-O
    O _/ _O
    O ___ O

It says Volt Term 125 - 5&7 250 - 6&8. Also there is an "open" symbol between 1 and 4, a "closed" symbol between 2 and 3.

I guess the second one from the bottom right is 1, then 2, bottom left is 3 then 4???

Anyone can help? Thanks!
    Last edited by ET.Ontario; 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM.
    I should also mention—and it absolutely pains me to say this—that there are crazy people who agree with what you have to say. I’m not saying you’re crazy. I’m saying they’re crazy. But you’re both saying the same thing.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Allen Bradley switch wiring. Got the diagram, not sure if I understand...

Etienne

what you have there is a control station for a motor starter. that in itself is not suited to do anything other than to control the coils and the contacts of a motor starter. A planer is a must machine to have a magnetic motor stater b/c if power is interrupted the planer will not comes back on when the power returns.

you need a motor starter to do what you want and one with an aux contact that is nominally closed(NC)

you need to do some reading and then come back and i can help you wire it up.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Mag...Explained.ashx

jack
    English machines
    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Jack,

I've read the link you proposed a while back when I fixed my old general table saw. I wasn't sure about the AB switch I have on hand, I thought I could replace the switch on my F1000A with it for safety and also because I've read that it tends to fail quite easily. It has been replaced before and it's just a simple light switch...

Reading the documentation on the AB control station, I was under the impression it might be configured in a way that could suit the F1000A. From what you tell me, it doesn't seem to be the case...

Right?

Thanks
      I should also mention—and it absolutely pains me to say this—that there are crazy people who agree with what you have to say. I’m not saying you’re crazy. I’m saying they’re crazy. But you’re both saying the same thing.

Comment

your machine did come with a mag starter in a box under the jointer. i did have problems with mine but was able to fix it with a new spring for the contacts. your machine draws 15 amp at 120 volts and a light switch is not motor rated.
        motor switches need to be rated 250% full load amp to be in code.

this what I would get so that you have overload protection to the motor (a very pricey motor on that machine that is preparatory to that to the F1000A

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...A-18A-CSA.html

jack
        English machines
        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
        English machines

Comment

I know that the light switch is not proper for a motor load. The previous owner of the machine had to replace it and provided me with the AB when I bought the machine. A new switch would be nice but at $80 for a plastic case I would rather keep my metal AB and fit it nicely on top of the enclosure. I also like the pilot light on it... Do you think I can get this to work?

How come you know so much about the F1000A? Do you have the original manual?

Would you mind posting pics of the dust collection on top of the planer? I am missing a part and just wondering what it looks like.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

That was one of the first bit of kit i got when I was starting out in cabinet making . I have had that machine for over 25 years. I have replaced the bearings and have warn out 3 sets of knifes. I ended up pulling the jointer off the machines and just use it as a planer( I was going to sell the jointer for parts). that is one heavy little machines and I have not found a machine that puts a better finish yet. Yes I have the Manual. But I have worked on a few machines and there all the same for the most part.

You can make what you got there work if you get the starter that the switches connect too and an Aux contact that is NC for the light. best to get one with a 120 volt coil.

jack
            English machines

jack
            English machines

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Jack,

The two wires coming inside the switch casing, they have to come from the motor starter, correct?
              Last edited by ET.Ontario; 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM.

Comment

what you have there is 3 wire control + the light.

it all there in your first post. you can not use what you have to switch the motor.

jack
                English machines

jack
                English machines

Comment

Working...
                X