No announcement yet.

Bandsaw dust collection port - a plate covering most of the port on the inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw dust collection port - a plate covering most of the port on the inside

I'm hooking up a Sears Craftsman 14'' band saw to dust collection. The main 4'' port has a plate in front of it that covers more than 3/4 of its cross section (see pictures). Is this normal? Seems strange - why would the restrict airflow this way? Perhaps this is to channel the air in a peculiar way?

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bandsaw dust collection port - a plate covering most of the port on the inside

Re: Bandsaw dust collection port - a plate covering most of the port on the inside

I'm no expert, but looks like a dumb a$$ manufacturing error to me.
    Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 11-12-2012, 09:43 AM.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

Is it welded in place?

The only thing I can think of if it is, is because the other port is only for a 2 1/2 inch port and the lower wheelhousing one you show fits a 4 inch, it is assumed most people would just be using a Y from a single source extractor, and as such, you would need to dampen somewhat the draw from the four inch in order to enable its more important collection under the table near where the cut is first spewing it's largest amount of debris.

Then again, Randy may be on to something.
      Kevin

Comment

It looks as if there is a space between the port and the plate, so there would be little dampening effect. My guess is that not everybody uses dust collection, and knowing this, the manufacturer put the plate there to keep a persons fingers off the blade while it's running.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
          It looks as if there is a space between the port and the plate, so there would be little dampening effect. My guess is that not everybody uses dust collection, and knowing this, the manufacturer put the plate there to keep a persons fingers off the blade while it's running.

John
          I think this may be the most likely answer, though my original "dumb a$$" response had more pizzazz.
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

The plate is welded on one side (to the front of the cabinet), and there is indeed about 1/4'' of space behind it. I tested yesterday and the dust collection seems to be working well even with the plate in place. But since no-one here thinks that the plate is likely needed, I wonder whether I should remove it.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

If it's working well (IE: sucking up the dust), why mess with it?

Comment

I think it's positioning would also serve to prevent anybody who is implementing dust extraction from there from inserting a male connector that would protrude too far into the interior of the casing and coming into contact with the spinning wheel.
                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X