Woodslicer Bandsaw Blade Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodslicer Bandsaw Blade Review

A miscalculation on a little project I'm working on gave me a good reason to break out the bandsaw blade I ordered before Christmas. I have a Ridgid 14" band-saw that is admittedly underpowered for re-sawing. I'd tried resawing with some run-of-the-mill Delta 6TPI blades but it was unsuccessful: really slow, lots of drift, burning wood, etc. I did a little research and these Woodslicer blades from Highland Woodworking seemed to get rave reviews. Lots of guys with bandsaws my size claimed to get great results so I ordered one online. Here's a close-up of the 1/2 inch 93.5" blade that I bought:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlicerCloseup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	949407

The thing I noticedright away was that the teeth are not evenly spaced. I think they call it a 3/4TPI because they stagger some of the spacing. Well, to make a long story even longer, it works awesome. As long as I use a tall fence I can re-saw boards up to 6" wide:

Name:	BandsawTallFence.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	949408

The results are straight, no burning wood, and the feed rate is fast. A minor miscalculation in a project I was working on required a piece of 3/4" thick prefinished ikea particle board to become 3/8" thick:

Name:	Resawn1.jpg
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	949409

The piece was almost exactly 6" wide so it was as high as my saw could handle. The feed rate was pretty much the same on a 4" block of oak that I used for testing. I would definitely recommend this blade to anybody with an underpowered bandsaw that would like to re-saw. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a riser kit for my saw now. Until now I wasn't really sure if this saw could handle 12" re-sawing but I now feel that with these blades it is possible.

The blade wasn't cheap: $36.99 list + $14 shipping. Highland's site also sells the cool blocks that are recommended as replacements for the stock ones, about $15, I couldn't find any of those locally either. To me it was worth it though, I basically view this blade as the Freud Diablo of bandsaws.
    sigpic
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Woodslicer Bandsaw Blade Review

Here are some cool blocks in Edmonton.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...,41036&p=30072
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Ahhh, not sure how I missed Lee Valley. Thanks. At least I paid about the same for them. Do you know what that oddly shaped block is for that comes with the Delta 14" set?

I see now that I should have ordered the Grizzly set as I needed four of the square blocks.
      Last edited by BryGuy; 01-11-2013, 02:24 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

You should also try Tufftooth from R&D and Viking from woodworkers haven, both available locally from Busy Bee and Lee Valley repectively. Allblades on 111th Ave will make almost anything except low tension. Kms and canadian woodworker also distribute olson & tufftooth and laguna & viking respectively
        Lots of local options for you.
        Don

Comment

I've read many good reviews of the Woodslicer blades. About the only negative comment I've ever heard is that they don't stay sharp as long as some would expect. The glue in the particle board should have provided a good test for staying sharp! Glad it worked out for you.

Ron
          Best regards,

Ron

My 2017 resolution was to lose 10 pounds. Only 15 pounds to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
            You should also try Tufftooth from R&D and Viking from woodworkers haven, both available locally from Busy Bee and Lee Valley repectively. Allblades on 111th Ave will make almost anything except low tension. Kms and canadian woodworker also distribute olson & tufftooth and laguna & viking respectively
            Lots of local options for you.
            Don
            For resawing I use 1/2" 3TPI Tufftooth bought at BB. The price is $20 or so. On my 1HP (10amps) GI with a riser block I can do 12" resaws, although at a rather slow pace. Up to 8" the feed rate is pretty smooth.
            In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

I agree lots of local options. I've use Viking, Tufftooth, Olson and the Sabretooth that Marson stocks all have worked fine. In my opinion I seem to get a bit more life out of the Viking blades, Lee Valley stocks them for 14" and smaller saws, Canadian Woodworker has sizes for a lot of different sized machines.
              Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

I'll pick up one of those 3TPI Tufftooth's the next time I'm at BB and see how it compares.
                sigpic

Comment

I have been using 1/2" and 3/8" 3 tpi hardback from Allblades on my 1 HP Rockwell/Delta with riser. Resaws 12" oak pretty good. Blades are less than $15 each, and that's for 105" ones.
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

I picked up one of the 3TPI Tuff-Tooth's from BB yesterday and had a chance to try it out today. I think I should preface this post by saying that I can tell folks on this forum are not too impressed by the Woodslicer. I guess I really shouldn't have titled this as a review, it is more of a testimonial, I don't have the resources to properly review this blade. Also, please keep in mind this post is designed for people with underpowered saws like mine (3/4HP) that need extra help to re-saw properly. I can show you how the Woodslicer cut compares to the Tuff-Tooth. I found that the Tuff-Tooth cut just as straight and true, perhaps even faster than the Woodslicer, but the quality of cut is not as good.

Name:	TuffTooth1.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	885808
                    The TT leaves fairly distinct vertical striations that would definitely require aggresive sanding (above).

Name:	Slicer1.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	885809
                    The Woodslicer leaves subtle striations but they are much less pronounced, you can't even really call them scratches.

Name:	TuffTooth2.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	885810

Name:	Slicer2.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	885811

Thanks to everybody for pointing me to these alternative re-saw blades. I would like to check out one of the Vikings, but I don't really need another blade yet. I'm glad I have the TT though. In tablesaw terms, I view it as a good combination blade that I will use for rougher projects. The Woodslicer is more like my Freud ripping blade that I will use when quality of cut is important to me. As I said, I don't have the resources to compare this blade to all the competitors so I will leave things at that. I do feel this blade is money well spent if you own an under-powered bandsaw and you want to slice some pretty wood for a veneer-like application.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Woodslicer is not commonly available Canada wide, so exposure is limited, not necessarily an unfavourable opinion.
                      I use the buy my ands at a the annual show, but now have to 3rd party or play with alternates. I did buy a couple of 3/8" x 3TPI Woodpecker bands from R&D after Ryan Shervill's review. Once I get my new saw up and running I will give the Woodslicer consideration. I have a brand new 3/4 tip bimetallic from Allblades which needs a test drive first.
                      Having this type of review is good information for all. Keep us posted on how it performs over time.

Don

Comment

This would make sence with a blade speed of 2700 lfpm the 3 tooth blade will give a rougher cut were the woodslicer is a 3 - 4 tooth, if you tried a 4 Tooth
                        Silicon band you would find a better cut, to get a smoother cut from a 3 tooth you need to increase the blade speed to 3100 lfpm also the woodslicer is a thinner blade it was mainly designed for meat cutting that is why it comes wraped in paper also why it has a shorter life. Good to see this type of information
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X