Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchtop Horizontal Bandsaw for cutting metal

Hi

I'm looking for a small Benchtop Horizontal Bandsaw for cutting metal, used or new.

Anyone know where to find this?

I've looked all over, CT, HD & others, I can only find the large floor models & they are too big & expensive.

Thanks.

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Benchtop Horizontal Bandsaw for cutting metal

Gord
    I don't know about the benchtop saw but there is such an animal as an "electric hacksaw". It is basicly a small hand held band saw.
    An acquaintance of mine, who lives in the states, purchased one about 5 years ago.
    I'm sure they're available in Canada by now.You might want to check with some comercial tool suppliers.
    Hope this helps.
    J.P.

Comment

Princes Auto has what you are looking for.

Comment

I found this one at grizzlyind.com

G1010
        4" x 6" Metal Cutting Bandsaw

Cut angle-iron, pipe, rods, shafts, structural steel, etc. Completely portable and lightweight, this saw is bound to become an indispensable part of your workshop. Features handle, wheels and a removable table for vertical cuts.
        Specifications:

Capacity: 4-1/2" round, 4" x 6" rectangular
        Blade speeds: 80, 120, 220 FPM
        Blade size: 64-1/2" x 1/2"
        Motor 1/2 H.P., 110/220V , 60Hz, 1720 RPM
        Amps: 9/4.5
        Drive: V-belt
        Transmission: sealed worm gear
        Overall height: horiz. 38"; vert. 55"
        Height floor-to-table: 24"
        Overall width: 15"
        Overall length: 38" Overall bed: 26" x 9-1/4" x 3-1/8"
        Floor space: 18-1/8" x 41-1/4"
        Angular cuts: 90 Degrees to 45 Degrees
        All ball bearing drive wheel and blade guides
        Shipping weight approx. 115 lbs.

Ship anywhere within 48 states for $48!

Comment

Hi J.P.

These are not quite what I want. I have tried several tool suppliers, but always come up with the big ones.

Thanks..

Comment

Hi Robert

Princess Auto does have one, but it is still quite large with an induction motor, the one I'm looking for has a smaller footprint & a universal motor.

Thanks for trying.

Comment

Hi Eagle

This unit is a floor model, too big & Grizzly won't ship to canada, I need a small bench top unit.

Thanks.

Comment

How about a metal cutting blade for a miter saw?

Hi Again..

Just a thought.... How about a metal cutting blade for my Dewalt miter saw, I've seen metal cutting abrasive blades for cutoff saws, will these work ?

Thanks..

Comment

I would be careful about doing this..

I know that there are people that have done this and claim that they work ok. I have a metal chop saw and it sparks all over the place. Everything is metal not aluminum. They really shoot sparks all over the place.

I quite often just use a metal cutting blade in the jig saw so I don't have to clean up all the sawdust so I don't create a big fire.

This works like a charm. Use a straight edge to guide the jig saw and you get really great edges.

Comment

Re: Please check your manual

I seem to remember somewhere in the Dewalt manual that you are forbidden to use an abrasive blade. I assume they're worried about metal particles in the motor.

It's too bad you don't have the space for the inexpensive Taiwanese floor model metal cutting band saw. I've had one for a few years, and it works great for casual use.

Comment

Re: How about a metal cutting blade for a miter sa

It will work for a while but as the blade wears down it will no longer reach the fence as well all the little bits of metal end up welding themselves to your fence and saw guard and as others have said I wonder what is going on inside the motor what with electricity and bits of metal together

Comment

I'm Guilty

I must admit I have put a metal cutting blade in my bandsaw occasionaly.That was in my old saw. Since then I've been told it's not a good idea and I haven't done it on my new saw.Apparantly the saws are not built to handle the tension needed for a metal cutting blade and the extra stress could ruin the saw.
                        But I have to say when I did it on my old saw(10" Rockwell Beaver)it worked well.
                        J.P.

Comment

Re: Bench Top Metal Cutting

Gord;

Milwaukee make a hand held metal cutting band saw. It is on the same concept as the small floor model discussed by others with a double quarter twist in the blade. No idea on price but likely a lot of $$$.

Where I get my supply of metal they have a band saw like you want that came from Princess Auto. I asked the owner about it and I recollect he said it was a product they stocked a few years ago but no longer sell. Not at all a quite machine and they have a set of hearing protectors hanging on the machine.

In my case I have one of the small floor models from Jet and it has to be the worst piece of equipment in my shop. Initially the blade would not stay on the wheels. I determined that the wheels are not in line and the top wheel had to be shimmed 3/16" to make it track at all and even at that the blade is only half on the bottom wheel and the top wheel is just about touching the casting. That saw has been sitting in the corner for about ten years because it will not cut square.

I switched to a B&D 14" friction blade chop saw and have made 300 cuts in 1.5" x 3" x 1/8" wall steel tube as well as 300 cuts in 2" x 2" x 1/4" steel angle,1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16" steel angle and Unistrut as well as other bits and pieces.

There is a burr to clean up but a bit of work with a file solves that. Also as others have indicated the danger of fire is very real but that is just a matter of being careful. In my case I do not use the chop saw in the woodworking shop at all but do that cutting outside now. I say "now" because I several years ago I was cutting on the floor and caught a piece of paper a fire on the bench. By luck I saw it in time and there was no damage.

The sparks form a friction blade are hot enough to embed in glass 7 feet away and burn paper after falling 8 feet from a hole being cut in metal roof deck so be careful. I know first hand about the glass and the sparks falling 8 ft. happened in a Federal Building where a roofer was cutting a hole for a new roof drain and papers on a desk caught fire.

You may ask why I am cutting so much steel. OK I will tell you even if you did not ask. As a part time operation I make the Precision 50 T-Square table saw fence - a clone of the Biesemeyer. I have made about 300 in ten years.

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ac258/Precision_50html

Comment

Re: Bench Top Metal Cutting

Correction.

I left on period out of that web address. Please use the one below.

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ac258/Precision_50.html

Comment

Re: I'm Guilty

me too as well as the chop saw and worked well

Comment

Working...
                              X