Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8" Canwood Jointer

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with House of Tools? Apparently they sell Canwood woodworking machines.

Is an 8" jointer worth the extra money? I just purchased a 6" jointer ($789.00 before taxes) but I have yet to use it. I am thinking of returning it and moving up to an 8" jointer. The 6" General International jointer is half the cost of the General International 8" jointer. Very tempting to buy the 8" Canwood jointer for far less. ($999.00) I'd have to dish out $2070 for the GI 8" Unfortunately Nobody in Canada sells Grizzily machines. They have a wonderful 8" jointer for around the same as the Canwood. Got a real good review in the woodworking mag.

considering the jointer is the last big tool I'll ever purchase Maybe I should purchase the General unless of course The Canwood is half decent. Wish I knew more about those machines.

Wendy
    wanda
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 8" Canwood Jointer

Wanda -- If you're going to go for an 8" (which is definitely the right way to go) then spend an extra $200 and get the King 80FX. ($1199) It's the same machine as the DJ 20 and the new Grizzly. I've had mine for almost a year now and I love using it. It has 75" for tables and a nice long infeed to let you control your stock safely. I had a good 6" before & this is like night and day. This machine uses the parallelogram movements so you don't have any dovetail ways to try and shim if it goes out of alignment. This one gets great reviews. Check it out.
    Attached Files

Comment

I went down to the Grizzly tent sale last Saturday and bought a dust collector. You can go down and purchase a jointer if you like. Just so you can compare pricing I usually multiply the Grizzly price by 1.38. This will show you the Canadian price with all taxes and duties paid (10% exchange, 8% WA sales tax, 6% dutie on overseas woodworking equipment and 14% for PST/GST).

For example, Grizzly has an 8" Jointer (G0490) listed on their website for $750 USD. That one, which as some awesome sounding stats (3HP motor,76 5/16" bed, 4 cutter heads), would cost you $1035 CAD taxes included!

Of course the problem will be whether you have the access and means to transport a 600 lbs jointer from the states.

Good luck...just so you know at the Grizzly tent sale I saw 8" jointers selling for $450 and the only listed thing wrong with them was a dented base. When I upgrade I sure know where I'm going!

Comment

Canwood jointer

I have the canwood jointer, and it is a lovely machine. I have had it for a few years now, no problems, dead accurate. Well worth having over a 6 inch, just for the fence if nothing else. And just to start a fight, you could not pay me enough to take a King piece of crap, never mind actually buy another one.....
        The older I get, the better I was.........

Comment

8" canwood jointer

Good morning,

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute if I had a means to ship a 600lb Grizzily 8" jointer to Newfoundland. Their prices are phenonmenal.

I'm still waiting to hear back from House Of Tools in Alberta. They were going to get back to me with a quote. To ship a machine that size to NL might cost approx. $420 if not more. ($999.99 + $450 plus GST=

Now the local dealer here sells King/King Industrial. I will have to phone them and see how much the King 80FX is selling for. Might end up purchasing the Canwood jointer yet. My only problem is I purchased the 6" jointer from my local dealer and I'm not sure if they'll give me a full refund. Might be stuck with the GI jointer yet.

Some people say they can get by with a 6" jointer and Bandsaw. I"m not too sure. I'd rather invest a little more money and buy an 8" jointer.

Wanda
          wanda

Comment

Some people say they can get by with a 6" jointer I"m not too sure.

I had to laugh when i read this.

Rick

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Wanda... I will be in the Seattle/ Vancouver area the 10 th of June and would gladly pick it up and bring it back to Woodstock, Ontario for no charge then you have to only pay the shipping from Toronto to Nfld. I travel in a one ton PU and 600 lbs would just cause it to ride a little smoother. I usually stop at the Grizzly store in Bellingham any time I am out that way. Do you have an Eassons Transport terminal where you live as they may have a fair freight rate. They have a terminal in Toronto that I have dropped things off at before for relatives in NS. If interested send me an E mail.I have met a few people on this forum and I am sure they would vouch for me.
              Brian
              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
              X