Good Value in a 14" Bandsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Value in a 14" Bandsaw?

I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw to help me fill my winter days during retirement. I can't see the need for resawing but would like to have something for crafts, etc. I don't want to pay mega-bucks for something that will only be for personal use. So I was looking at the Grizzly G0555LX and found that Grizzly has the G0555ANV Anniversary Edition that they say has the same specs. Surfing for prices, I found a big difference in pricing:

Amazon.com G0555LX $878.11 / G0555LANV $889.62 (I live 1.5 hrs from the US border)
    Amazon.ca G0555LX $825.00 / G0555LANV $545.00

It's not surprising to have a difference in US/CDN prices, but to find them cheaper in Canada is strange. And for the LANV version to be $300 cheaper than the US is unbelievable. Don't know if it's a mistake or not but ordered the G0555LANV from Amazon.ca today before they raise the price! I think I have 24 hrs to cancel. Can anybody see where I might be missing something here?

Keith (first post)
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Good Value in a 14" Bandsaw?

I'm not well versed in online tool ordering but I did read somewhere that amazon.ca is not always a Canadian supplier and that it might be an 'Amazon Partner' that has hidden shipping costs in the fine print. I don't want to cause a panic but I just suggest that you scour the order for something that could lead to extra charges. Edit: I did take a look at the ad and it says 'Ships from and sold by amazon.ca' so it looks legit- good luck!
    Last edited by Glenn McBride; 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM.
    Be careful when you follow the masses...sometimes the 'm' is silent.

Comment

That is strange that it is so much cheaper, but overall I'm not surprised by the price. I noticed that KMS sells king 14" starting at $399. I have no idea how they compare but in the end they are all clones anyways I think so I imagine he design is damn near identical.
      Daniel
      Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by KrowNB View Post
        I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw to help me fill my winter days during retirement. I can't see the need for resawing but would like to have something for crafts, etc. I don't want to pay mega-bucks for something that will only be for personal use. So I was looking at the Grizzly G0555LX and found that Grizzly has the G0555ANV Anniversary Edition that they say has the same specs. Surfing for prices, I found a big difference in pricing:

Amazon.com G0555LX $878.11 / G0555LANV $889.62 (I live 1.5 hrs from the US border)
        Amazon.ca G0555LX $825.00 / G0555LANV $545.00

It's not surprising to have a difference in US/CDN prices, but to find them cheaper in Canada is strange. And for the LANV version to be $300 cheaper than the US is unbelievable. Don't know if it's a mistake or not but ordered the G0555LANV from Amazon.ca today before they raise the price! I think I have 24 hrs to cancel. Can anybody see where I might be missing something here?

Keith (first post)
        Duty and shipping. You need to have both in the price to make a fair comparison.

Comment

If it ships from Canada, duties not an issue, plus sometimes Amazon.ca has free shipping, depending on the item. Just read the fine print in the Amazon.ca ad closely. Good luck.

Comment

I've ordered in the past from both Amazon.com (ship to the nearest border town, pick it up at an address there then pay taxes on re-entry into Canada) and from Amazon.ca. When it says free shipping/shipping included you are not charged - just appropriate (inappropriate? LOL) taxes. My email receipt says:

Shipping Method:
            Standard-Shipping
            Items: CDN$ 545.00
            Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
            ------
            Total before tax: CDN$ 545.00
            Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 70.85
            Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
            ------
            Order Total: CDN$ 615.85

Delivery estimate: Feb. 25 2014 - Feb. 28 2014

And they will deliver to my door. At nearly 300 lbs that's a plus too!
            With our dollar tanking lately to around $0.90US, the $890USD for the same saw through Amazon.com would have cost about $1000CDN after conversion and then 13% tax at the border would have brought the total to well over $1100! Add to that fuel and a meal to travel the 3 hrs return, etc, etc. I figure I'm saving at least $500 by ordering it in Canada than to buy it stateside. Pretty rare these days! Of course I could order it directly from Grizzly in the US and get it for $545+exchange+tax+travel - still well above the Amazon.ca price. I'll watch and see when their current stock (says 6 left at Amazon.ca) is replenished to see it the price goes up.

I just hope it has the same quality as the G0555LX as Grizzly says it does.
            Last edited by KrowNB; 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Well, my Grizzly G0555LANV Bandsaw that I ordered from Amazon.ca arrived yesterday. $545.00 delivered - taxes in it was $615.00! Here's the email receipt from Amazon.ca Feb 19th:

The following items were included in this shipment:
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
              Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
              1 Grizzly G0555LANV 14-Inch Del CDN$ 545.00 1 CDN$ 545.00

Sold by Amazon.com.ca, Inc. - taxed
              Item Subtotal: CDN$ 545.00
              Shipping and handling: CDN$ 0.00
              Total Tax: CDN$ 70.85
              GST: CDN$ 70.85
              PST: CDN$ 0.00
              Total: CDN$ 615.85
              Paid by Mastercard: CDN$ 615.85

I just got an email from Amazon.com saying this saw is $913.23 US! Guess they must track what searches you do on their site and then target advertising toward those things. So I decided to have another look at Amazon.ca to see if the price has changed there since I ordered mine - this saw, which I bought last week for $545, I see is now listed at CDN$848.20! Wow! $300 more than I paid! Am I ever glad I ordered it when I did! Feeling lucky right now. I'm on a pension income and could never have afforded $1000 for a saw right now. When I ordered at $545 it said 6 left in stock. Now says 5 left. Am I the last person that got it at this price? Maybe it was a mistake from the beginning and I'm the lucky beneficiary of it!

In any event, I'm new to bandsaws. I haven't used, or even seen one operating in over 40 years! Spent most of yesterday afternoon getting it set up. Still have to tweak table and guide settings, etc. Not knowing anybody close by that has a bandsaw will be bringing me back here on a regular basis for assistance, I'm sure. Hope this is a friendly forum for novice woodworkers.

Keth
              Last edited by KrowNB; 02-26-2014, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I also purchased the Grizzly G0555LANV for 545, got a steal of a deal, same price as you, amazon has since fixed the problem though
                http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-G0555LA...rizzly+bandsaw

Comment

Looks like we both lucked out, Jason. Now.... all I have to do is figure out ow to use it :-) No buddies into woodworking so I guess I'll have to wing it for now.

Are you using the blade that came with it? Read somewhere that it's not good quality and immediate improvements are noted with a change of blade. I have nothing to compare it to so may be a while figuring what "good performance" is. Good luck with your saw!

Comment

I am using the blade that came with it, I also bought the riser block off amazon (its the green one for the non anniversary edition) however I haven't set it up yet, I figure i'll burn through the standard blade first. It's worked fairly well I got it all setup and the goo cleaned off the table in a couple hours, adjusting the wheels and blade tensions was interesting as you have to turn the leaver on top to put the blade under tension before you can actually adjust anything. I also hooked up a ridgid shop vac with a 4"-3" pvc fitting and some duct tape for dust extraction, Works well though, I'm happy!

Comment

I know what you mean about the tensioning, Jason. Even after looking at the video on the Grizzly site it still wasn't completely apparent but when I re-read the manual after watching the video it seemed to make sense. The secret is to take the tension off with the lever, loosen both of the bottom adjustment nuts and the upper one on top, take up the slack in the blade then turn the tensioning rod to the right. Make final adjustments then tighten the jam nuts (at least that's what I THINK I finally did LOL!). It took me about two days of frigging before I was satisfied. Not having any experience tensioning ANY bandsaw before didn't help.

I think I'm going to love this saw! Still can't believe I got such a deal on it!

Comment

Keth and Jason,

Congratulations on having the judgment and a bit of boldness to act quickly on an low advertised price that you correctly assessed would likely disappear.

Also it's great to have others on this forum jump in quickly to help reason through this opportunity and encourage the buy while the 'buying window' was still open.

Michael

Comment

Thanks, Michael! I'm sooo happy with this saw, especially so since we got such a great deal on it! It was an early birthday (mid March) gift from my wife. Good thing we decided to order it a month ahead of time before the price went up! Still can hardly believe it was $300 cheaper than in the US! That almost NEVER happens to us here in Canada! Must have been a input mistake on the website that we were able to benefit from before they discovered it! Happy Birthday to me!

Comment

Really nice purchase, guys.
                            Though, maybe now you'll spend all your time on Amazon, and spend away your savings!!!
                            Sort of like good old $1.44 days, without the blue light.
                            Noel
                            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
                            X