Laguna 16" Shear tech Planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laguna 16" Shear tech Planer

Arrived Friday afternoon. I had other things on the go so kind of putzed away, unwrapping, attaching, looking.
    Finally this morning I couldn't let it sit any longer. I rounded up enough electrical, connected to shopvac, ClearVue mini cyclone and let her rip.
    First pass good. 2nd pass good, 3rd pass no go. Now I pay the price for not following all of the setups. Before getting to carried away, I lowered the table, turn it on and notice the infeed roller wasn't moving. I reengaged the gearbox and way it went.
    In the course of making 40 litres of chips, I fed through some hard maple, black walnut, lyptus, very knotty piece of pecan and a big knot I had cut out of a piece of Kentucky Coffeetree. None of them showed any tearout, chipping, unevenness, waves, or other surface defects I could attribute to the machine.
    The Coffeetree was the test. This stuff is so prone to tear out and overheating. To have that bigass knot come through unscathed, both sides, both direction was incredible.
    Then I put in a couple of pieces of 1 X 3 of 1st growth cedar. The first pass came out with what appear blade chatter. So did the second pass. By the 4th pass the surface was spotless. I had been taking such fine cuts, the shearing action was slicing right through the original milling marks!
    Quiet and powerful.
    Six rows of cutters is hard to understand until you toch them. The head is massive and is all cutters. Very impressive to look at. Very impressive to use.
    Dislikes.
    -The table lock is a common rod that runs the width if the machine, and passes right in front of the extension table bolt and adjustment holes. Hopefully, this will only be a onetime annoyance.
    - The bolt holes for attaching the dust chute are underneath the return material roller.
    - No dust boots around the table adjusting screws. I think I will try using some foam pipe insulation. Most planing occurs in a small range, should be manageable. Also would have kept a lot off grease and crud off my hands when installing the extension tables.
    Looks like 10 extra cutters and a couple of torx drivers for the future.

This machine is around 600 lbs. It rolls easily on the four wheels. The front 2 wheels have a lock if required.

I have no reason to think this machine will not perform exceptionally well for many years.

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Laguna 16" Shear tech Planer

good to hear it is the machine I was leaning towards too as I researched along with you ....

who did you Order through in the end ?

M.

Comment

Canadian Woodworker.

Comment

Glad to hear its working out well for you. Is there any perceivable scalloping like is commonplace with the byrd head? The two companies use different geometries so I'm curious if the results are different.
        VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

My initial results indicate none. This is consistent with my observations years ago with the 20". I will find some time to try and take some good photos of the various surfaces I tested.
          Don

Comment

Congratulations! sounds like a good machine.
            To find out about those potential scallops, plane some maple and then stain/lacquer it.
            Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I thought the same thing as Don when I got my Byrd. I was not aware of the scalloping until I looked at the bottom rail of a 8 ft panel that was stained and lacquered. It is not visible coming out of the planer but you can feel it if you run your hand over it or run some pencil lines across the board and then sand it with a ROS and you can see where the scallops are. There a lot of different heads available and there had to be at least 6 Asian heads that I had never heard of at IWF . A friend just had one manufactured by a Menonite machine shop in Ohio.
              Congrats on your purchase it is fantastic when you can plane hard maple and no tear out.
              Brian
              Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM.
              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Don,

Thanx for posting. I've been too busy with work to follow up as of yet but the Laguna 16" planer will be my next major purchase.

Enjoy the new machine!

stan
                http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Scalloping. I havent been able to followup as yet. I have some spray lacquer, but have only used it once. I hate the stuff even with the correct cartidge. There do seem to be some ridges on the maple, but they follow the growth rings.
                  More to follow on this.

Stan, even if there are some ridges, this puppy is sweeeeeeet!
                  The foot print is not significantly larger than my Rigid TP1300 which is on factory stand and then a caster base.

Don

Comment

Working...
                  X