Blade Cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blade Cleaning

I have to agree with Mack, washing soda is great and inexpensive.

Comment

[quote=Bill Simpson;129753Only a gender perfect Shemale would ever make a statement in public endorsing Tupperware. Not a man jack one that I know can stand the product.[/quote]

Hey Bill,

What's a Shemale?

I use the method Mack described....works very well.
      Take care,
      Jim

My Passion
      www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHTsigpic

Comment

I've used oven cleaner in the past am now using Boeshield Blade & Bit cleaner. I've got nearly a full box of Arm & Hammer that I got for cleaning up some old planes with eletrolysis. Will have to give it a try for cleaning blades.
        Rick
        http://www.gibs-web.ca

Comment

Sharpening

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          What should I be using to clean my saw blades? And how often should this be preformed?

In addition, does anyone know of a good place to get blades sharpened on the west side of Toronto (Mississauga area)?

Thanks

Neil
          Hi Neil, I used to get my blades sharpened at TJV on Kennedy Rd, just above Courtneypark, usually took a week did a great job
          Regards
          Paul

Comment

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Can’t seem to find Arm & Hammer Washing Soda in my local Walmart or Loblaws. Does anyone know where I could purchase a box?

Comment

Try the laundry or cleaning sections of the stores, not baking. Washing soda is sodium carbonate whereas baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Sodium carbonate basically is a stonger salt of carbonic acid - cleans better.

Ian

Comment

I was once cornfused but have regained my senuous self...

Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda is the ticket. I used to use Oven cleaner (what a mess and sting your eyes and smell and cost and caustic and the list goes on, besides I think it might be hard on the bonding agent for the teeth) Then I switched to Simple Green as it was reported to be the cat's meow but later there was a report that it also worked on the bonding agent... (also it costs more) I heard great things of the Arm & Hammer and tried Baking soda with little effect but was redirected to WASHING SODA (Chemically different, as discribed in a previous post by someone) I too search aimlessly throughout the stores for Washing Soda untill I was informed to seek laundry products. WHAT-HO! Yellow Box on shelf near other cleaning agents.

I tried it in hot water and it works well. I simply go to the laundry room and run a couple inches of hotwater into "Her Wonderfulness's" laundry tub, shake in an amount of the Washing Soda and allow the blades to soak for a while, whilst I go get some more.... I remove the blade and brush the teeth with a scrub brush and rinse, wipe dry whilst I lay another blade in to soak.... I do several at a time, then put my shop rags, etc. in to soak until "Her Wonderfulness" does the colored laundry. Re-use the product as it does not "Use-up" when soaking the blades.

(I call her "Her Wonderfulness" because she urged me, repeatedly, to go buy my NEW Truck) SWMBO for good reason...

Jim, a Shemale is Female of the SWMBO gender, Respectfully (and fearfully) known as "The Boss"
                Last edited by Bill Simpson; 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM.
                Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Brent in Montreal View Post
                  Hi Neil,

I use Lee Valley blade cleaner. Keep it in a Tupperware container and it's good for quite a few goes. I usually clean my blades after every project and sometimes after milling/before doing joinery if I see the blade has an exceptional amount of resin on it.
                  My wife use to keep our Christmas cookies in Tupperware containers and hide them in the oven to keep us away from them. Now we have a new oven...

Comment

Sharpening via RONA

Neil:

Oakville RONA sends blades, etc. out to BC Saw in west Toronto on Evans Ave. You can probably take blades directly to BC Saw, or drop them off at your nearest RONA. They pick up and return in Oakville on Fridays, so minimum one week turn around. I've used them a fair bit, and have been mostly satisfied, except for one set of planer blades, which after returning, still weren't totally flat end to end. I've been pleased with saw blades.

http://www.bcsaw.ca/

...Wayne

Comment

Is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda the same as A & H baking soda?

Basil

Comment

Couldn't find washing soda but have Simple Green.

From the Simple Green website May 12, 2012:
                        http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...n=Saw%20Blades
                        Tools: Saw Blades
                        To clean with Original or Lemon Scent Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner:
                        1. Wet the Surface . This helps the Simple Green to penetrate soils and makes it easier to wipe clean.
                        2. Apply Full Strength Simple Green and Scrub. For best results, spray lightly onto sections and allow the product to soak for a few minutes to emulsify soils.
                        3. Wipe or Rinse With Clean Water. Rinsing ensures a residue free finish.
                        Not recommended for carbide tipped blades. Simple Green Pro HD is recommended for this type of material. [The purple Simple Green Pro HD Cleaner was available at some Home Depots in gallon amounts for $15.]
                        http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...126&artlang=en
                        Simple Green has been successfully used by many woodworkers over many years as a good "spray - wipe - rinse" cleaner for saw blades. When pitch is fairly fresh (typically within a 12-hr period since deposit) it is fairly easily removed with Simple Green. Older, dried-out pitch is much more difficult to remove. We do not recommend long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide. Shorter term "spray/wipe/rinse" applications do not create that kind of problem.
                        It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade.

Comment

I'm still looking for the A and H washing soda. Hard to find it seems. Still have to check Loblaws though.
                          Kevin

Comment

I don't think washing soda is available in Québec, so far I tried the following stores with no luck, Provigo, Wall Mart, IGA, CT, COOP, Super C, ACE Local hardware store, and BMR.
                            Can you order rhe stuff thru the internet ???
                            Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
                              I don't think washing soda is available in Québec, so far I tried the following stores with no luck, Provigo, Wall Mart, IGA, CT, COOP, Super C, ACE Local hardware store, and BMR.
                              Can you order rhe stuff thru the internet ???
                              Jacques
                              You can make it yourself! Someone else just posted a link in the woodworking forum. http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com.....a-new-source

If you bake baking soda, you get washing soda. Seems odd.

It is also available at home hardware http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...27273?Ntt=soda
                              I'm only responsible for what i say, not for what you understand.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, You have an electrical problem.

Comment

Re: Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Bought some Washing Soda at Safeway today.

Comment

Working...
                                X